Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2014, 07:23 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,204,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You have to draw a line somewhere don't you? Not sure about all of them but state issued and military were good one year from expiration. If your state issued ID is expired time to get a new one. If your college ID is expired I guess we can surmise you are no longer a student and it's time to go get state issued ID, whle on the topic how many students are not going to have a regular ID anyway? None? If your old folks home ID is expired you're probably expired as well.
My student ID doesn't have an expiration date because the school doesn't know when I am gonna stop being a student. I still carry mine for cheaper museum and movie tickets even though it has been several years since I graduated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 07:24 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
My student ID doesn't have an expiration date because the school doesn't know when I am gonna stop being a student. I still carry mine for cheaper museum and movie tickets even though it has been several years since I graduated.
Your school would have to issue one with expiration date, problem solved.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:25 AM

Quote:
So what you are suggesting is someone bring this with them every time they go to vote:
Yes, that is what I am suggesting people be able to bring in as an alternative to photo IDs if one doesn't have one. If those documents are valid for getting a photo ID they should also be valid to use for voting.

Which showing an ID doesn't actually prevent voter fraud, it just makes you feel like it does.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:29 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,223,014 times
I see that people forget how they registered in the first place. You fill out a doc. which has your personal info and then you are given the ability to vote.
You then go, during the election, to a poll and give your info to a poll attendent who matches you up with the registration. You sign your name at which time the poll worker needs to check the signature. Now if you are challenged you need to prove your ID. This is how I have seen it as long as I have voted in 3 different states. The original registration has followed as I have moved and notified the Board of Elections of that move.
At the poll the opposing parties can sit there and check off registered voters as they come in and give their name. They can challenge the voter to prove they are who they say they are.
Biggest problem with this is the parties cant get enough volunteers to sit and check off names. One of the parties does not like to enter certain areas for any reason.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:32 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,301,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I think the larger issue in all of these voter ID cases is very simple.

Because the political parties are in charge of who votes, then voting rights are always imperiled.

We have to get political parties out of the business of regulating who votes because any political party that perceives its in its best interest to have fewer people vote will make it harder for those people to vote.

It just so happens that right now at the moment in American history in many states and nationally, the conservative party realizes that it can not win when a lot of certain kinds of Americans votes. So the conservative party has decided that it will limit those voters as much as it can.

It is despicable and truly is a stain on anyone who identifies as a conservative that their ideology of small government is EXPANDING government unnecessarily.

There is no wide spread voter fraud to justify this expansion of government power, yet supposedly small government conservatives support these new unnecessary laws that don't address a single problem.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
I see that people forget how they registered in the first place. You fill out a doc. which has your personal info and then you are given the ability to vote.
You then go, during the election, to a poll and give your info to a poll attendent who matches you up with the registration. You sign your name at which time the poll worker needs to check the signature. Now if you are challenged you need to prove your ID. This is how I have seen it as long as I have voted in 3 different states. The original registration has followed as I have moved and notified the Board of Elections of that move.
At the poll the opposing parties can sit there and check off registered voters as they come in and give their name. They can challenge the voter to prove they are who they say they are.
Biggest problem with this is the parties cant get enough volunteers to sit and check off names.
When voting in person that is how I always did it and I don't see what's wrong with that system, though I prefer to do mail in ballot so I can take the time and read over each issue and make sure I am making the right choices on my own time and not during any specific date.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:37 AM

59,111 posts, read 27,349,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I don't know about your state but if you haven't voted before at a polling place you need to show the registration, if you have voted before you need a signature.
That has NOT been the case in the 2 states i have voted in. They ask your address and that is it.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:40 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,223,014 times
Quote:
When voting in person that is how I always did it and I don't see what's wrong with that system, though I prefer to do mail in ballot so I can take the time and read over each issue and make sure I am making the right choices on my own time and not during any specific date.
I think we need to have an on-line system also cuts down on lines and will allow more voting. There are a lot of programs that are on-line to hold votes for different things. Might need a more national voter registration to make this work.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:42 AM

59,111 posts, read 27,349,464 times
Quote:
It is the privilege that comes with driving. Maybe we should make a Federal Photo ID card with a microchip in it that allows people to only vote once and must be scanned to vote, wouldn't that solve all your problems with voter fraud?
I am NOT for a federal voter ID card. Voting is still one of the few things the fed has NOT taken away from the states.

I would be FOR a state voter ID card that is less subjected to fraud.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:43 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,265,533 times
Quote:
You have to draw a line somewhere don't you? Not sure about all of them but state issued and military were good one year from expiration. If your state issued ID is expired time to get a new one. If your college ID is expired I guess we can surmise you are no longer a student and it's time to go get state issued ID, whle on the topic how many students are not going to have a regular ID anyway? None? If your old folks home ID is expired you're probably expired as well.
Like I said, student IDs don't carry the date on them, whether they're current or not.

And you really think an old folks' home has an expire date on it? Can I have some of what you're smoking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies