Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2014, 05:31 PM

28,675 posts, read 18,801,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
My country???? I'm guessing you are NOT American living in the U.S.A.

What democracies did the U.S.A overthrew?
1953 Iranian coup d'état
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2014, 05:33 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,005,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
1953 Iranian coup d'état
1954 - Guatemala presidente Arbenz

Old 12-20-2014, 05:35 PM

28,675 posts, read 18,801,179 times
Quote:
does Mexico and Dominican Republic sounds like a 3rd world country to you?..........how can you tell where I lived or visited from a forum?
I didn't say "visit," I said "live." And, yes, Mexico and Dominican Republic are third world countries, economically speaking (as opposed to Jawaharlal Gandhi's original political definition).

You made this statement:

Quote:
history shows that the masses who have benefited the most in the history of the world were the societies that had free open markets with individual rights and freedom.
Which someone who had lived in and observed basic local life a third world country with "free open markets" would know better than to make.

Old 12-20-2014, 06:27 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,274,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
1953 Iranian coup d'état
Mossadegh was elected democratically?

Name 1 leader that the U.S. helped the opposition of the country to be overthrown that was elected democratically by the people.

Old 12-20-2014, 06:44 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,758,293 times
Quote:
since when? since the Soviet Union collapsed and cut their support. Do you have any clue about Cuba's economy as of right now?

again, the U.S. will support dictators if its for a bigger cause like winning WW 2 and the Cold War or the war on terrorism....after that we put outside pressure to bring reform in those countries or cut support and we have.
Soviets stopped supporting cuba in 1991 - 23 years ago. Clearly, they have found ways to cope.

Old 12-20-2014, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Soviets stopped supporting cuba in 1991 - 23 years ago. Clearly, they have found ways to cope.

I'm sure every poor country and oppressed people under a totalitarian regime finds ways to cope......what's your point?......if I put you in a box and tell you how to live, what to think, what to say, what to do, what to eat, I'm sure you will find ways to cope or swim across that ocean to a better place.

Old 12-20-2014, 07:08 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,758,293 times
Quote:
I'm sure every poor country and oppressed people under a totalitarian regime finds ways to cope......what's your point?......if I put you in a box and tell you how to live, what to think, what to say, what to do, what to eat, I'm sure you will find ways to cope or swim across that ocean to a better place.
My point goes back to your original statement that cuba was economically on the ropes. Nope, not even close. You talk as if they are completely isolated economically. Actually, they trade on the world market, just like nearly every other country in the world, except for north korea.

Whatever reason there may be for continuing the embargo, cuba's imminent economic collapse is not one of them.

Old 12-20-2014, 07:20 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
My country???? I'm guessing you are NOT American living in the U.S.A.

What democracies did the U.S.A overthrew?
Quote:
Mossadegh was elected democratically?

Name 1 leader that the U.S. helped the opposition of the country to be overthrown that was elected democratically by the people.
Yeah. he was.

So was Arbenz and so was Allende.

Old 12-20-2014, 07:24 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,896,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yeah. he was.

So was Arbenz and so was Allende.
Allende was a commie, Nixon was no neocon.

Old 12-20-2014, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
My point goes back to your original statement that cuba was economically on the ropes. Nope, not even close. You talk as if they are completely isolated economically. Actually, they trade on the world market, just like nearly every other country in the world, except for north korea.

Whatever reason there may be for continuing the embargo, cuba's imminent economic collapse is not one of them.

Cuba's GDP per capita $10,200. Wages in Cuba are worth roughly 28 percent of what they were before the collapse of the Soviet Union, according to the Center for the Study of the Cuban Economy at the state-run University of Havana. The devaluation has turned workplace theft into a major problem. It has also led tens of thousands of Cuban professionals to emigrate to the United States and elsewhere in Latin America in recent years in search of a better life. The country’s birthrate is declining, while its elderly are living longer.

Public sector employment is arond 76% and private sector, mainly composed by personal property employment is 23%. That is a disaster for any country.

the inflation rate of Cuba is 3 times higher than the U.S.A which doesn't help the economy grow.

They have no choice but to turn to the U.S. market and American investors.....they can no longer rely on Canada or Venezuela if they want to improve their economy and move government workers in which they can't afford to the private sector.

NYT (which is not a right wing newspaper) wrote an intense article on Cuba's economic problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies