Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 09:50 PM

1,951 posts, read 1,636,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
How is it "creeping in that territory" when it is a same sex couple but not when it is a opposite sex couple?

A book that has a man a woman and a child is not considered creeping into human relations, but a book with two men and a child is? Basically every story book has human relations.
Do we remove all story books with humans so that we don't discuss human relations with children? No, we discuss all types of human relations in pre k. Parents, siblings, grandparents, teachers, police, all different types of human relations, but not same sex parents that is too far.

And the mother didn't mention "human relations" she said sex ed. If mentioning same sex parents is sex ed, the so is mentioning opposite sex parents.
I can't tell if you're being serious or not here, so I'm going to assume you are.

We're talking about romantic relationships here, so we can strike siblings, teachers, police, and all other types of human relations from this discussion.

With that out of the way, what's a core element of a romantic relationship between adults? Sex. In an educational setting, I can see how some would view that as sex ed-ish. Again, I don't think it is. But I can see how other people would view it that way.

Considering something less than 2% of the population is gay, it brings up some confusing differences for a four year old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 10:00 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,521,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Gross but her parents should find a nice Christian pre-school program.
Doesn't have to be a Christian one. Just one run by people that aren't either perverts or morons.

Old 04-08-2016, 12:15 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,438,007 times
I guess I had a deprived childhood, not knowing about cisgender, male-born-female, female-born male, sexism, transgender, safe spaces, micro-aggressions and gay stuff when I was five years old.

Old 04-08-2016, 01:20 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,517,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Do many kids have that problem? Mine knew what sex they were before pre-k and even knew the proper name for their body parts. It didn't require class time to teach them that.
Kids usually know what gender they are but now they are told they can pick which one they want to be.

Old 04-08-2016, 01:54 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,502,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
It is a private school. If you don't like the curriculum you can leave. If you make waves and try to change curriculum for snowflake they can make you leave.
Yes! Private school, and if you go to their website it's clear that they have progressive ideals. Don't like that? Not your thing? That's fine. Don't enroll your child. It's very simple. The school was not a good fit for this family.

Old 04-08-2016, 02:30 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,036,493 times
It's a private school, they can do whatever they want. The parents choose whether they keep sending tuition checks.

If their curriculum becomes a problem with other parents, expect it to change immediately.

Old 04-08-2016, 02:55 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,230,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Yeah.

The function of school is to educate. It's basically common knowledge that exposing children to things early makes them more capable of thinking about it later on. You cannot deny the prevalence of the discussion on same sex relationships and transgender issues in our society. These issues exists and they are relevant.

Bare in mind, these subjects are being presented objectively. It's merely highlighting that these issues exist. It's a private school and if you don't like how they teach, why would you want to stay? Maybe they kicked the girl out too hastily, I don't know. I feel like a lot of details are missing from the article.
You mean indoctrinate.

Old 04-08-2016, 04:24 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,438,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Bare in mind, these subjects are being presented objectively.
"Bare in mind..."

Nice Freudian slip.

Old 04-08-2016, 05:21 AM

1,951 posts, read 1,636,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Kids usually know what gender they are but now they are told they can pick which one they want to be.
Right! And there are parents of those 3, 4, and 5 year olds encouraging and starting the gender reassignment process. How messed up is that?

At that age, I wanted to be a robot. It's a good thing my parents didn't take me up on it!!

When I got older, I could reason better to decide what's right for me, not what I repeated because I learned about something new.

Old 04-08-2016, 06:33 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numberfive View Post
I can't tell if you're being serious or not here, so I'm going to assume you are.

We're talking about romantic relationships here, so we can strike siblings, teachers, police, and all other types of human relations from this discussion.

With that out of the way, what's a core element of a romantic relationship between adults? Sex. In an educational setting, I can see how some would view that as sex ed-ish. Again, I don't think it is. But I can see how other people would view it that way.

Considering something less than 2% of the population is gay, it brings up some confusing differences for a four year old.
If I were to complain that they read a book that had a mommy and daddy claiming that it was sex ed, people would think I was nuts. Right? So why would this be any different?

As for confusion, really? I have found children to be far more accepting than adults in many cases. Generally kids easily take it in stride that I am a woman married to a woman. None of my sons friends have freaked out, or acted odd. It is generally something that is met with "ok, do you have any cookies".

I am pointing out the hypocrisy about the situation. Those parents would freak out if someone objected to a story about an interracial family calling it sex ed. But OMG same sex parents means sex!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies