Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2017, 02:08 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,891,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
-again, tradition means nothing.
-You're trying to go on a tangent about the semantics of Jingoism. Nice try. Didn't address the point of what I said.
-peacefully and quietly kneeling and letting you sing your song is the perfect protest. It's not disrupting a thing. You're supposed to be focused on the flag and picturing a bald eagle soaring, right? Why are you looking around doing a patriot audit? You're more concerned that people are fully compliant to your way or life. Think about that.
-"I have nothing against peaceful protests"....yes you do. Clearly.
No tangent just helping since you dont seem to know the definition of the word and are using it incorrectly.
I did address the point. No one gives a flip if you dont stand or you dont sing.
People do give a flip when there is an obvious display of political agenda during an event people pay to see. If I go to a ball game, I want to watch the game, I want to stand for the anthem. I do not want to be exposed to your political agenda. That is not what I paid for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I said what I thought. People do this a lot. Someone asks a question and after answering it, if it's an answer they do not like they keep on asking it.

Protest away. I don't care where you are and it's irrelevant even if I did.
Thank you for answering the question.

Old 09-22-2017, 02:11 PM

51,655 posts, read 25,850,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
People do give a flip when there is an obvious display of political agenda during an event people pay to see. If I go to a ball game, I want to watch the game, I want to stand for the anthem. I do not want to be exposed to your political agenda. That is not what I paid for.
Then look the other way.

For example, you could keep your eyes on the flag to avoid acknowledging that people have different opinions in this world.

Old 09-22-2017, 02:12 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,498,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
If you think about it, it's kind of silly how the national anthem gets played at all these sporting events. From kids games, high school, college and pro sports. it seems like its fake patriotism to me. Do other countries do this?

I think its more appropriate for special events like a sports all star game, International games (U.S vs a foreign team) and Olympic games.
It's done in Sweden and Im sure all over Europe.

Old 09-22-2017, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
The poster suggested changing the national anthem. That is changing history. Which is obviously in danger anyway as many dont have a clue the history behind it.
"In God we trust" was added to the Pledge of Allegiance in 1956. Shall we change that back to honor history not to mention the Constitution?

Old 09-22-2017, 02:19 PM

The Star Spangled Banner did not become the national anthem until 1931.

Since there seems to be so much interest in this tune, here are a few other bits of history associated with it,

9 Things You May Not Know About

Old 09-22-2017, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Then look the other way.

For example, you could keep your eyes on the flag to avoid acknowledging that people have different opinions in this world.
Why should I have to look away? Demonstrate you political agenda on your own time.

Old 09-22-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
It's done in Sweden and Im sure all over Europe.
I've been to European soccer games. Unless they are playing a team from another country, I don't recall anyone singing a national anthem.

Old 09-22-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
"In God we trust" was added to the Pledge of Allegiance in 1956. Shall we change that back to honor history not to mention the Constitution?
Thats so stupid I dont know how to respond.

Old 09-22-2017, 02:50 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,275,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
If you think about it, it's kind of silly how the national anthem gets played at all these sporting events. From kids games, high school, college and pro sports. it seems like its fake patriotism to me. Do other countries do this?

I think its more appropriate for special events like a sports all star game, International games (U.S vs a foreign team) and Olympic games.

when you are the owner of a sport league or team then you decide what song or N.A. you play.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies