Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 09:17 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I did. My Acura MDX was built in Lincoln, Alabama.
By Southerners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2018, 10:27 AM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Looking up where foreign cars are manufactured, his religious following may have voted for their own demise. Every single one of these are red states.

Toyota manufactured in Kentucky, Indiana, Texas, Mississippi, Alabama, West Virginia
Honda manufactured in Ohio, Indiana, Alabama
Nissan manufactured in Tennessee and Mississippi
Subaru manufactured in Indiana
Hyundai manufactured in Alabama
Kia manufactured in Georgia
Volkswagon manufactured in Tennessee
Volvo manufactured in South Carolina
Mercedes manufactured in Alabama, South Carolina
Um...you DO realize that tariffs are applied to cars NOT made in this country-right?

Do anti-Trumpers ever think before they post? I suspect not. His policies would motivate those companies to shift more of their production to US factories to avoid the tariffs; helping, not hurting, the workers in those states.

Perhaps more telling is that every foreign company building cars on US soil is doing so in a "red" state. An intelligent person would ask why this is so and perhaps learn from it.

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 06-17-2018 at 10:38 AM..

Old 06-17-2018, 10:35 AM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
China fights back against Trump, imposes tariffs on $50 billion worth of U.S. goods | Financial Post
How trump thinks his tariffs are good for any one boggles the mind, this guy is totally mad and will destroy America due to his bungling incompetence.
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/he...cit-2018-03-23

We have a nearly $400 billion dollar trade deficit with China. The amount China imports from the US is miniscule. That is in part due to the unfair, unequal trade practices that China employees against foreign made, especially US made, products. In short-China has far more to lose from their policies than we do, and Trump is the first president we have had in decades that has worked for fair trade practices to level the playing field for American workers and businesses.

So, I have to ask-why are you so in favor of driving production and manufacturing from this country? Shifting jobs from America to China and other nations? What do you have against American workers and businesses getting a fair chance to compete on a level playing field.

Oh, another question. ALL Democrats have favored raising taxes. Tariffs are a tax, one of the few that actually can do something to HELP Americans and the way this country was historically funded prior to the early 1900s. Just why are you so anti-tax in this case? All those that decried tax cuts for Americans as "adding 1 trillion to the debt" (in 10 years, while ignoring the fact that Obama did more every single year in office) are no attacking this revenue source? What is it this week? Are deficits bad or not?

Old 06-17-2018, 12:10 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,567,829 times
Quote:
I did. My Acura MDX was built in Lincoln, Alabama.
Some of those parts weren't made in the US and some of those profits go to the Japanese owners of Honda.

This is the universe we live in now. People thinking a Japanese owned company, assembling cars using parts sourced globally and locally, is now an American car.

So ya, kind of, but not really.

Old 06-17-2018, 12:18 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,378,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Some of those parts weren't made in the US and some of those profits go to the Japanese owners of Honda.

This is the universe we live in now. People thinking a Japanese owned company, assembling cars using parts sourced globally and locally, is now an American car.

So ya, kind of, but not really.
I understand that we live in a global economy.

Old 06-17-2018, 12:41 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,567,829 times
Quote:
I understand that we live in a global economy.
Then you understand that the car you bought isn't really American, but perhaps as American as you could get.

Old 06-17-2018, 12:45 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,378,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Then you understand that the car you bought isn't really American, but perhaps as American as you could get.
Yes, I do. I was being facetious with my comment.

Old 06-17-2018, 12:56 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,722,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Um...you DO realize that tariffs are applied to cars NOT made in this country-right?

Do anti-Trumpers ever think before they post? I suspect not. His policies would motivate those companies to shift more of their production to US factories to avoid the tariffs; helping, not hurting, the workers in those states.

Perhaps more telling is that every foreign company building cars on US soil is doing so in a "red" state. An intelligent person would ask why this is so and perhaps learn from it.
Trump has asked to have Toyotas and Audis deemed a "security threat" as noted in the OP. If some parts are made in other countries, does production stop? Time will tell. The point is, nearly every foreign car has production in the U.S. so he does nothing but anger and alienate our allies even more because they know this.

As for building in the south, the south tends to be more blue collar, less educated (because they think education is "elitist"), and will happily take a lower wage. This is a win-win for the car manufacturer and the south. So why does the south turn on these car manufacturers? Because their allegiance is greater to their deity Trump than it is to their employer. Foreign car manufacturers should take note of that. Maybe the south isn't such a great choice after all since they're being stabbed in the back by their employees.

Old 06-17-2018, 01:15 PM

2,389 posts, read 2,343,092 times
-Tariffs will apply to cars made outside of the US, not within it. Your TDS is preventing you from thinking before you post.
-Technically a large trade deficit is a security threat
-There is no such thing as free trade when tariffs are involved.
-No one has explained why is it okay for foreign countries to issue tariffs on our goods(which has hurt US manufacturing.production) yet when we do the same thing it's the end of the world.

Old 06-17-2018, 01:22 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,722,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
-Tariffs will apply to cars made outside of the US, not within it. Your TDS is preventing you from thinking before you post.
-Technically a large trade deficit is a security threat
-There is no such thing as free trade when tariffs are involved.
-No one has explained why is it okay for foreign countries to issue tariffs on our goods(which has hurt US manufacturing.production) yet when we do the same thing it's the end of the world.
Define manufactured. What percentage of parts? Is it just assembly? Why would Trump specific Toyota when Toyota is assembled in the U.S.? If 40% of the parts are manufactured outside of the U.S., what happens to the Toyota employee in Texas? Either way, not my problem but too bad for those car "assemblers" in the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies