Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2019, 07:14 AM

10,537 posts, read 6,186,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It was processed that way by the US State Department. My passports, even through many successive renewals, have only had my middle initial since I was 16 years old in the 1970s. Even both my original SS card, and then the one issued after I married and my name changed, had only my middle initial. It wasn't an issue back then.

Nope. Back in the 1970s, many legal applications/forms only asked for a middle initial.
Okay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2019, 07:19 AM

33,323 posts, read 12,614,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
I've done it by mail for years - this year was online. I did have to take in the documentation about 6 years ago for the Real ID check. Renew Car tags at the grocery store every year.
Always get this stuff done in about 15 minutes.
Mine was longer ago than that. I didn't even realize that I was doing the Real ID procedure because it was my first license in Texas. Like Old Gringo I did my renewal last year, but like you (and unlike Old Gringo) mine was online. Thanks to Old Gringo posting that detail about the gold star in the 'upper right hand corner', I know I'm squared away re that paperwork (my current DL has that gold star and doesn't expire until 2024). I think there might be a law now (for Texas) that you have to go in (rather than renew online or by mail) every other time (first time, third time, fifth time, etc.).

Old 06-13-2019, 07:45 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,710,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMaj7 View Post
I hope that president Trump culls that abomination; not agreeing that it was by "The People"...
Well, I (and probably you) were there - we can certainly say that 90% of the Party in Power was "for the War and expansion of the Security State"......you can go back and check the polling if you like.

I was never for the war. Neither of them. Not for one day. But I hardly knew anyone else (lived in GOP town in county where Lockheed was the top employers) who felt the same way.

Reality is...like real.

This is the equiv. of losing a bet on the Super Bowl and then a decade later saying that you really knew the other team was going to win.

Check your history. Check you're polling. Look at the folks who want to attack IRAN NOW.

It's amazing to live through things and then see how quickly the next generations forget. We are now talking only about 12-13 years ago in terms of the heavy warmongering polls.

"In late March 2003, 89% of Republicans and 53% of Democrats"

At least one party was split. The party in power, which got to make all the decisions and laws...well, you certainly can't get much more than about 90% on ANY issue. That's a higher approval rating than Putin and Xi.

Normally I would caution people - especially those with law and order and authoritarian tendencies, to be more cautious next time. But obviously, looking at the Iran War boosters on CD, that's not gonna work. As was said by the top Nazis at their trials "The People can ALWAYS be brought to war by telling them they are being attacked".

Smart man...Goring. At least he left us with that quote before he took his own life to avoid the hangman.

I wish saying or thinking would make it do. But Americans have been..and still are...easy to lead into violence.

Old 06-13-2019, 07:52 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,525,120 times
I had to do this two years ago when I renewed my license in my state. I didn't have my birth certificate or Social security card, but my filed tax paperwork and pass port ID was good enough. Also it didn't take me too long at all, because I went to AAA, and got my license renewed. That's really like the main reason I got a AAA membership, so I wouldn't have to go the DMV. Hate that place.

Old 06-13-2019, 10:57 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,961,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMaj7 View Post
Traveling throughout the USA needing more than the NYS drivers license I ALREADY have!

I'll admit that I was ignorant of the new requirements to get this "REAL ID"; had no idea until I opened the letter from the DMV.
The problem is many states regardless of political leaning did that. Arizona is one of them. I'm getting a passport instead.

Old 06-13-2019, 04:20 PM

8,302 posts, read 3,532,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
There are posters reading this and sighing right now because it's sooooo much work. A *hardship*.

For those with low or no income it is a financial hardship to have to pay for legal documents, travel, and to pay three to four times what you used to in order to renew the license.

Old 06-13-2019, 04:32 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,714,153 times
So who voted for it in the US Senate?
  • Joe Biden - Yes
  • Barack Obama - Yes
  • John McCain - Yes
  • Chuck Schumer - Yes
  • Hillary Clinton - Yes
And some of you here still support these career establishment politicians without question or thought.

Last edited by WaldoKitty; 06-13-2019 at 04:53 PM..

Old 06-13-2019, 04:51 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,663,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
For those with low or no income it is a financial hardship to have to pay for legal documents, travel, and to pay three to four times what you used to in order to renew the license.

Just how many low-income and no-income folks do you think are traveling by plane?

Old 06-13-2019, 05:07 PM

8,302 posts, read 3,532,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Just how many low-income and no-income folks do you think are traveling by plane?

What does it matter about the plane? How do you survive without a form of valid ID? If someone with low or no income cannot afford the travel to another location to obtain the required marriage and divorce papers then the person cannot renew the license and will be unable to drive or show ID. I have no income and all my papers from my forced marriage are in another state. I won't even have the money to pay for the papers, not much less the travel costs to go to that state. I likely won't even have the $48 for the renewal. It will cost hundreds of dollars just to have a valid ID once it is over and I won't have it.

Old 06-13-2019, 06:01 PM

50,484 posts, read 47,246,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
What does it matter about the plane? How do you survive without a form of valid ID? If someone with low or no income cannot afford the travel to another location to obtain the required marriage and divorce papers then the person cannot renew the license and will be unable to drive or show ID. I have no income and all my papers from my forced marriage are in another state. I won't even have the money to pay for the papers, not much less the travel costs to go to that state. I likely won't even have the $48 for the renewal. It will cost hundreds of dollars just to have a valid ID once it is over and I won't have it.
How do you afford internet? Are you sitting in a McDonalds on free Wifi?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies