Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 11:22 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times

Advertisements

As a moderate, I find myself now with no party to vote for.

The Republican Party has become something that I don't recognize as even being American. But the Democrats have gone bonkers, with a race to see how far left they can go, and which one can promise to give away more free stuff, and have shifted away from representing the middle class worker.

I'm middle class, retired, and moderate (although liberal ideologically, I'm sill moderate, as opposed to far left, but not tooo far from just to the right of center).

The increasing polarization is leaving the moderate voter out in the cold, or being forced to choose between two extremes. No one seems to represent my interests, anymore.

I guess I'll have to look at the third parties? They can't win and often just serve as spoilers, so I don't know about that. I've been a reliable voter in the past, but I've not run across this situation ever in my adulthood - where neither party represents my interests or people like me.

Anyone else feel the same way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2019, 11:26 AM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
Yep.

I mostly try to vote towards keeping checks and balances in place. Don't want to see one party in charge of everything.

Old 07-17-2019, 11:36 AM

13,962 posts, read 5,628,343 times
Stop voting altogether.

Voting is an act of violence against your fellow citizen, but The Party (same org, just two factions inside the clubhouse) has you convinced that harming your fellow man is necessary and proper, as well as just plain good for you.

Don't vote for anyone in any party. Your vote was meaningless other than giving implicit sanction to the broken system it is part of, won't change what the elected mafia does once they are elected, and doesn't actually help change anything. If you don't vote, you resist giving your consent, your sanction an your participation in their theater of the absurd.

It's a small thing to others, you holding on to your principles and not compromising them, but it's one of the few things they cannot simply take from you via brute force. You have to give consent. It cannot be forced out of you. Since nothing you do will change how they behave, resist with one of the only real freedoms you have left - opt out of the game entirely and you can always look in the mirror and be satisfied that the person therein didn't simply sigh and play the game.

The longer we sanction their game, the longer they'll keep playing it.

Old 07-17-2019, 11:48 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,702,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post

The Republican Party has become something that I don't recognize as even being American. But the Democrats have gone bonkers, with a race to see how far left they can go, and which one can promise to give away more free stuff, and have shifted away from representing the middle class worker.

I'm middle class, retired, and moderate (although liberal ideologically, I'm sill moderate, as opposed to far left, but not tooo far from just to the right of center).

The increasing polarization is leaving the moderate voter out in the cold, or being forced to choose between two extremes. No one seems to represent my interests, anymore.

I guess I'll have to look at the third parties? They can't win and often just serve as spoilers, so I don't know about that. I've been a reliable voter in the past, but I've not run across this situation ever in my adulthood - where neither party represents my interests or people like me.

Vote Libertarian

Though the Party is split to.

Old 07-17-2019, 11:51 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,480,204 times
Voters keep replacing sane voices with extreme ideologues. Partisans seem to be voting in primaries at higher rates than moderates.

Old 07-17-2019, 11:56 AM

31,072 posts, read 22,086,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Voters keep replacing sane voices with extreme ideologues. Partisans seem to be voting in primaries at higher rates than moderates.
I'm sure it's always been that way as they have been the loudest.

Old 07-17-2019, 11:58 AM

3,163 posts, read 1,726,820 times
Quote:

Yes. All of the time! POTUS voting in a red state allows me to vote 3rd party. If that ever changes, I’ll be forced to pick one of those extremists.

Last edited by Hopeful for Life; 07-17-2019 at 12:11 PM..

Old 07-17-2019, 12:00 PM

19,808 posts, read 9,367,244 times
Quote:

You speak for a LOT of people, myself being one of them.

I truly would like to know why has no one come forward and been a candidate for us moderates -- or at least tried to form some kind of Moderate Party? If such a party or candidate would have a platform that would appeal to the majority of people in the working poor and middle class and would advocate being at least tolerant of ALL people, but without pandering to any special interest group, I think that both the current Republicans (whose base now seems to consist mainly of fundamentalist Christians and the wealthy) and the Democrats (who now seem to care about the rights and welfare of everyone but working and income-tax-paying citizens) would be beaten in a landslide.

I bet there would be plenty of people like myself who would give our voices, votes and some of our money to any moderate who would have even a 10% chance of winning.

Old 07-17-2019, 12:04 PM

18,499 posts, read 9,164,949 times
Quote:

I feel exactly the same way.

I lean more Democratic than Republican, but I’m more of an “old school” New Deal Democrat. I get turned off by some of the positions of the modern day Democratic Party.

Old 07-17-2019, 12:05 PM

52,282 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:

I've been thinking the exact same thoughts for a few years now. I find myself without anyone to vote for.

I'm middle class, socially liberal and fiscally moderate, as in I believe in the some basic safety nets and recognize the need to educate our citizens. I don't believe in cradle to grave government coddling that the far left want. Again, has to be some moderate point of pulling oneself up by the boots and some level of social safety nets.

The tune the Dimwits are playing now is concerning to me. The free this and free that horsecrap isn't sitting well with me as I know someone has to pay the bill for all of that free stuff. There are only so many rich people in the country.

I work with a far lefty loony dumbass that thinks it's ok to tax millionaires 70 to 90 percent of their incomes. I personally think it's immoral as hell to take 90% of someone's money. His argument is that if someone makes 10 million a year and he still gets to keep one million that it's ok. It's ok because what is he going to do, stop working?? No he still has to make a living.

That kind of mentality makes me literally want to vomit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies