Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2019, 03:04 PM

2,066 posts, read 901,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Do I believe the PhD scientists who say the heatwave is directly associated with climate change or do I believe "Lovetosave" on an anonymous internet discussion board? No offense but I think I'll side with scientists on this one.

I tend to raise an eyebrow when a closed circle of "experts" support their colleagues' "findings", when all of them depend upon these "findings" (and continuing funding and grants) for their livelihood/reputation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2019, 03:05 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,383,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADogNamedSam View Post
I tend to raise an eyebrow when a closed circle of "experts" support their colleagues' "findings", when all of them depend upon these "findings" (and continuing funding and grants) for their livelihood/reputation.
And, if one challenges the findings, is kicked to the curb and ostracized, accused of heresy.

Old 07-25-2019, 03:05 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,522,211 times
Do not trust the AGW alarmists. They have been caught repeatedly cooking the books on this.

Remember Climate-gate, Hockey-stick gate, Climate-gate II and the most recent South American data manipulation fiasco, just to name a few.

Old 07-25-2019, 03:09 PM

9,290 posts, read 14,908,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Stating that it is hot and therefore it must be man-made is a fallacy indeed. You would need to support that assertion with data showing that there is direct causation.

I'm not disputing whether climate change is real one way or the other with my argument here, but that is the exact same argument that people make when they say, "Look it's a cold day, so climate change must not be real."
Perhaps people who don't understand man's impact on CO2 levels and why the world's scientists talk about man made climate change should actually take the time to look at the scientific papers. Of course, they would never do THAT so

a simple explanation can be found here on NASA's web page:

https://climate.nasa.gov/climate_res...arbon-dioxide/

I'm sure we'd all be happy to hear from posters who would like to argue with the scientists at NASA. And please- forget the conspiracy theories. Argue the scientific evidence.

Old 07-25-2019, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Perhaps people who don't understand man's impact on CO2 levels and why the world's scientists talk about man made climate change should actually take the time to look at the scientific papers. Of course, they would never do THAT so

I'm sure we'd all be happy to hear from posters who would like to argue with the scientists at NASA. And please- forget the conspiracy theories. Argue the scientific evidence.
Again, for the third time, I am not arguing that climate change is not real and I'm also not arguing that it isn't man-made. Rather, I'm pointing out that stating that it is 108F in Paris does not support the claim of climate change any more than someone saying that a very cold weather is proof that there is not climate change.

In order to support an argument, one has to go beyond such a statement and provide facts and data in these cases. Man-made climate change may very well be real, but stating that it is 108F in Paris at this moment does not in any way support that case.

Old 07-25-2019, 03:13 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post

I'm sure we'd all be happy to hear from posters who would like to argue with the scientists at NASA.
Sad, isn't it? I think a PhD on the subject might have more knowledge than the deniers. Heck, we might as well not go to the Doctor when we're sick or even go to school when we're children. Or, a hundred other things that education has helped us with. Let's just de evolve. All of that education, who needs it?

Old 07-25-2019, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
Sad, isn't it? I think a PhD on the subject might have more knowledge than the deniers. Heck, we might as well not go to the Doctor when we're sick or even go to school when we're children. Or, a hundred other things that education has helped us with. Let's just de evolve. All of that education, who needs it?
I think what the comments here show us, more than anything is that people are so tuned into one argument, they cannot accept any criticism at all. My statement in no way suggests I do not believe in climate change. It suggests, that the way it was presented here is not helpful to the cause and is no different from someone who does not believe in it arguing, "Look, it's cold today, so there must not be climate change." Both statements are ludicrous.

This is a good example of how people across the spectrum have become so narrow-minded in their focus, they cannot read a post without automatically categorizing it into one side or the other.

Old 07-25-2019, 03:19 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
PARIS/LONDON (Reuters) - "Soaring temperatures broke records in Germany, France, Britain and the Netherlands on Thursday as a heatwave gripped Europe for the second time in a month, in what scientists said were becoming more frequent events as the planet heats up.

“There is a 40-50% chance that this will be the warmest July on record. This heatwave is exactly in line with climate change predictions,” said Dr Karsten Haustein at the Environmental Change Institute at the University of Oxford.

Peter Inness, senior research fellow at the University of Reading, said: “The fact that so many recent years have had very high summer temperatures both globally and across Europe is very much in line with what we expect from man-made global warming.”

===

108 F in Paris. Absolutely unheard of. Manmade climate change is no longer an abstract concept, it is here, it is now, and it's causing tremendous property damage, lost crops and deaths worldwide with increasing frequency.
Meh, weather. Whatever.

Old 07-25-2019, 03:28 PM

15,840 posts, read 6,547,612 times
To go along with this news, during the one year period up to May of this year, the total rain fall in the lower 48 states just set a new record. There has been widespread flooding of the Mississippi valley. I can't imagine what the bill is going to be to fix all the damage.

https://www.sciencealert.com/the-wat...s-in-125-years

A twelve-month period: that's not weather, that's climate. There are those who may not believe in climate change, but they're still going to be paying for all the increasing number of emergencies that keep coming and coming.

Last edited by rjshae; 07-25-2019 at 03:44 PM..

Old 07-25-2019, 03:30 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,241,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollytree View Post
perhaps people who don't understand man's impact on co2 levels and why the world's scientists talk about man made climate change should actually take the time to look at the scientific papers. Of course, they would never do that so

a simple explanation can be found here on nasa's web page:

i'm sure we'd all be happy to hear from posters who would like to argue with the scientists at nasa. And please- forget the conspiracy theories. Argue the scientific evidence.

they cannot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies