Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2019, 06:08 AM

37,213 posts, read 19,210,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Prayer has power. It is wise to pray for this nation, especially when it is in the condition it is in. Obviously kids lack of prayer in school did not cause this shooter to do what he did. That was caused by sin in our world. Can prayer prevent this kind of violence? Absolutely!
Pray to what? Who? Which one of the 5,000 gods currently fighting for reconition is the right one to get rid of our gun problems?

Personally, I view prayer, especially prayer asking for personal favors, as about as effective as giving orders to a cat. That's not how any of this works. If you want to stop mass shootings, you must disarm the would-be shooter. No god past, present, or future, nor any other fairy tale character is going to protect us from ourselves.

Old 08-05-2019, 06:08 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Ah c'mon. Prayer is great. With prayer, I can FEEL like I did something good about a problem without going to all the hard work of, you know, ACTUALLY doing something about it.
Like what, posting on social media?

Yeah, you're doing a ton.

Old 08-05-2019, 06:12 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,834,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Like what, posting on social media?

Yeah, you're doing a ton.
Hey Im in here putting up "thoughts and prayers". If God is everywhere that means he's reading social media too right.

Old 08-05-2019, 06:13 AM

10,020 posts, read 8,638,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Look, the first mass shooting took place way back on Aug. 1, 1966 from the Texas Tower in Austin. 16 killed, 31 injured. It shocked the nation. I'm sure many were moved to pray for the future of the nation and for God's protection. Decades later in Las Vegas on Oct 2, 2017 a shooter shot 59 dead and injured 527. So, no, I don't think prayer has the power to stop terrible things from happening on a nationwide basis.
Gilbert Twigg in 1903 Kansas.

5,654 posts, read 6,219,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
I read it (it was shared in the el paso thread). I can agree with several points he made about the republican and democratic parties along with basically the US imploding.
Do I agree with his actions....absolutely 1,000% not. I think he would have spread his message more by just stating his opinion on reddit or social media and letting it go from there. I think some of his feeling are how several feel over all this political BS.
I agree with Pedro - I will not read the manifesto not because I believe what the media is saying, but because I believe that is giving him what he wants - more people reading his manifesto. You note that "he could have spread his message more by just stating his opinion on reddit or social media and letting it go from there." I for one do not believe he would have had nearly as many people reading it had he not massacred a bunch of people. How many people who read the manifesto can honestly say they would have read the manifesto had its author not become known through shooting a bunch of people?

THAT is my concern, not what the media is saying about the contents. I'm thinking about the next person with an agenda (whatever it is, left right or sideways) who realizes that he will get a much larger audience for his manifesto by killing people.

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Oh, puh-leeze!

You have the right to believe whatever you wish, of course, but if prayer worked, would we be in the mess we are in now? MANY people have prayed for peace and love between nations, and look at us.

Y'know, it always cracks me up when people say that God is all-knowing and everything He/She/It does is part of a Divine Plan, and yet some of these same people say that we can change His/Her/Its mind if we just pray enough.
Bingo.

Perhaps it is "God's will" for white nationalists to be revealed for who and what they are.

Old 08-05-2019, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
How come you count that as the First one and not the numerous shootings of black Americans in the early 20th century and Native Americans in the 19th century?
Perhaps not enough praying going on back then either?

Old 08-05-2019, 06:18 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Involuntary commitment for bats**t crazy people. Problem solved.
What’s the objective criteria to determine who is bats**** crazy?

We know nothing thus far to suggest the El Paso shooter was bats*** crazy?

Take a look at Stephen Paddock, the Las Vegas shooter. He was a social misfit. There are tens of millions of social misfits and they don’t engage in mass shooting. He owned a lot of fire arms. So do a lot of people.

So please share exactly what constitutes bars*** crazy.

Old 08-05-2019, 06:22 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
He's a lot closer than the Demonics....when I was a kid in school, we prayed and didn't shoot anybody.
That portion of my education ( 70’s) that occurred in a public school did not include prayer. No one engaged in mass shooting.

Then again, no internet, no social media, no 24/7 news cycle.

Old 08-05-2019, 06:22 AM

When reading about the Royal Canadian Mounted Police ran across an article on why Canada decided on a police force rather than an army to bring Canadian rule to their prairie lands.

Author wrote that Canadians just didn't have the stomach for massacring people that Americans did.

Americans were fine with massacring Native Americans. Massacring African-Americans? No problem. Whites were, after all, God's chosen people.

But white people getting massacred?

Whoa doggies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies