Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2019, 11:08 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,664,501 times

Advertisements

Lot's of people seem to feel that concealed carry would solve these mass shootings with the idea that "The only defense against a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".

Can someone explain to me how a Walmart, in Texas no less, with three thousand people there and no one used their weapon against the shooter? All those concealed carry folks from gun happy Texas, and nobody took their weapon out and tried to take out the attacker.
Can anyone here name one mass shooting in the last 2.5 years that was stopped by a citizen using his CCW weapon?

No you can't...……..So much for the good guy with a gun theory, eh?

Old 08-06-2019, 11:11 AM

8,168 posts, read 3,128,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
Continue to follow gun laws, and practice gun safety every single day.

There’s nothing that gun owners can do to stop a deranged maniac from using one to kill. We can’t stop guys with knives, people plowing through crowds with cars, etc. etc. All we can do is remain law-abiding citizens.

The actions of one crazed person are not the fault or responsibility of the rest of us. Don’t allow people to let you feel that way.
Be aware, alert and keep an extra eye and ear open for anyone displaying red flag warning signs of doing something like this. I shoot all the time at the range and if I see someone there that's not been there before or that I've not met before, I usually will make it a point to strike up dialog with them to get an idea about their mental state, what their interests are with firearms, etc. If I meet someone who doesn't have anything much to say or doesn't seem to want to have dialog, I keep them on my radar, wait and watch to see if any red flag warning signs start to appear. That's the best thing I can do.

LOL, Simply following gun laws and practicing gun safety isn't going to do squat in regards to stopping someone else from committing such crimes with firearms.

Old 08-06-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Lot's of people seem to feel that concealed carry would solve these mass shootings with the idea that "The only defense against a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".

Can someone explain to me how a Walmart, in Texas no less, with three thousand people there and no one used their weapon against the shooter? All those concealed carry folks from gun happy Texas, and nobody took their weapon out and tried to take out the attacker.
Can anyone here name one mass shooting in the last 2.5 years that was stopped by a citizen using his CCW weapon?

Do you have any factual data indicating how many people were present at this shooting that had a weapon concealed on their person? I know over the past several years, maybe even over the last decade, Texas has turned into a wusy bowl with all the demolibs relocating there from other places to "push the vote".

Old 08-06-2019, 11:16 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,912,795 times
Quote:

There were 3k people in the area and that included the mall which shared a parking lot with Walmart. If you were going to both locations, the mall was a designated "gun free zone". A lot of people would prepare for that shopping trip by leaving their weapon at home.

Old 08-06-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Clever!

Wasn't it you who asked the other day for an example and I gave you one? If so, now you have tighten up the question.

HOWEVER, since you asked nicely......
https://www.conservapedia.com/Mass_s...armed_citizens
.........there you go.
No, it wasn't me who you responded to and unless you give me a more reliable, non partisan source besides Conservapedia, I'm dismissing your post as propaganda perpetrated by the right.

Did a CCW take out the El Paso shooter among 3000 people? No
Did a CCW take out or at least return fire in Dayton? No
Did a CCW take out the shooter or return fire On July 28th in Chippewa Falls Wisconsin? No
Did a CCW take out the shooter or return fire on July 28th in Gilroy California? No
Did a CCW take out or return fire on May 31, in Virginia Beach, Va.? No

I could take this list way far back and bury you with mass shootings in public places where nobody tried to take out the attacker or return fire.
How come nobody among 3000 people in a retail environment IN TEXAS had a gun to shoot back..
I'll bet you a dollar to a donut that there were lots of guns there but nobody used them.

CCW doesn't work very well unless it's a one on one confrontation. If you're stalking the shooter with your CCW, you're more likely to get shot by the first officer who's on the scene and sees you with your weapon drawn.

Old 08-06-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
Do you have any factual data indicating how many people were present at this shooting that had a weapon concealed on their person? I know over the past several years, maybe even over the last decade, Texas has turned into a wusy bowl with all the demolibs relocating there from other places to "push the vote".
I'll research exactly how many people were CCW out of the 3000 who were there if you give me more verifiable numbers on the ratio of wusy heads who've moved to Texas in the past several years.

How about that?

Old 08-06-2019, 11:31 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
"See something, say something" has also caused a lot of people who did major problems in their lives when it went online and people ridiculed them for the call that they made.

You can't tell people to "see something, say something", and then in the next breath give them hell when they do just that.
And you also can't tell people to "see something, say something," and then throw up your hands (one holding a doughnut) when they DO and tell them, "Well, we really can't do anything unless they break a law."

Grrr!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
There were 3k people in the area and that included the mall which shared a parking lot with Walmart. If you were going to both locations, the mall was a designated "gun free zone". A lot of people would prepare for that shopping trip by leaving their weapon at home.
Good point! It was a gun free zone. All law abiding citizens would have kept their firearms at home, or properly stored and locked up in their vehicles. Once the shooting started, it would be pretty hard to get to your car, gain access to the gun that is in the trunk, properly locked in a gun case, then go to the locked glove compartment to get the ammo and then put the two together and then go after the bad guy. No matter how fast one is, it is pretty much humanly impossible to do all that in the speed it would take to take out the shooter before mass casualties have accumulated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
Oh really? The Mall was a designated Gun Free Zone?

Would you verify that with a link of some sort and I will publicly eat my hat.

Waiting with a fresh bottle of Catsup.

Old 08-06-2019, 11:32 AM

45,227 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:

The right to own property isnt contingent on what someone else may or may not do with theirs

Last edited by Frank DeForrest; 08-06-2019 at 11:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies