U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 08:41 PM

20,742 posts, read 8,929,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
If the left had their way, they'd implement prayer in schools and make it a strictly Muslim prayer due to their hatred of Christianity.
What a bizarre thing to say. You do know that many democrats are Christians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2019, 09:01 PM

10,264 posts, read 6,407,320 times
I seem to remember them calling it a devotional. Sometimes it was a prayer and sometimes it was just thought provoking stuff. Students volunteered to do it, so the material varied. I don't ever remember anyone objecting.

Old 08-17-2019, 05:20 AM

288 posts, read 35,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Also, schools should teach that the Earth is 6,000 years old, the sun orbits the Earth, and that modern science is a bunch of lies from the pits of hell.

Thats about right on the age of the Earth, the rest is nonsense that YOU said-not me.

James 1:5
If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
You do know that many democrats are Christians.
They might say they are, doubt its true in reality but they will have to give an account of their life before God on judgement day just like everyone else anyhow and we will find out then.

Last edited by tipsyguam; 08-17-2019 at 05:35 AM..

Old 08-17-2019, 05:30 AM

6,561 posts, read 3,652,631 times
I worked in a public school on LI about 50 miles from Ground Zero. On the anniversary of 9/11 the Principal got on the PA asking everyone to stand for a moment of silence to remember the people who died. We had students who had a parent who died and spouses of teachers.

Would that be considered praying? I don't think so.

Old 08-17-2019, 07:28 AM

9,882 posts, read 4,461,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsyguam View Post
Thats about right on the age of the Earth, the rest is nonsense that YOU said-not me.

So. You would teach school kids that the Earth is only 6,000 years old? And the line about modern science being lies from the "pits of hell" is from Georgia Republican Congressman Paul Broun who said in 2008 that evolution, embryology, and the Big Bang theory are "lies straight from the pit of hell". These are the kind people who want teacher led prayers in public schools: know-nothing idiots.

Old 08-17-2019, 09:29 AM

30,388 posts, read 27,941,859 times
Public school in Nebraska from the 50’s & 60’s did not have prayer in school. I’ve never known any public school to have prayer other than some of those in the south maybe.

Old 08-17-2019, 09:55 AM

9,362 posts, read 4,263,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
What a bizarre thing to say. You do know that many democrats are Christians.
Many white evangelicals believe that it's not possible to be a Democrat and be a true Christian. Therefore, in Trump's America, Christians who don't vote Republican aren't considered the "right kind" of Christian and therefore they don't count.

When I was growing up in church, before every election there would typically be a sermon that warned the congregation that anybody who voted for a Democratic candidate, from President all the way down to the local elections, would be held personally responsible on judgment day for the death of every aborted baby and "the abominations of every sodomite." While most evangelical pastors aren't that extreme and won't put it in quite those terms, they believe more or less the same thing. My Christian therapist back in 2014 said it's impossible for any Obama voter to be a Christian because there's simply no way a true Christian could support "sodomy and baby killing." I asked about black evangelicals, who are similar theologically but supported Obama and typically vote Democratic. He basically responded that they are all going to hell because they have the same Bible and choose to ignore it for financial gain.

Evangelical support of Republicans really come down entirely to their no compromise opposition to abortion and homosexuality. There is also this perception that upholding separation of church and state amounts to 'hating Christianity.'

Old 08-17-2019, 10:36 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,126,375 times
Living in the South in my day, if you weren't a Southern Baptist you were pretty much consigned to Hell anyway

Old 08-17-2019, 10:41 AM

14,964 posts, read 9,249,417 times
I don’t remember prayer in school I do remember the pledge though. I was born in 67.

Old 08-17-2019, 10:43 AM

30,258 posts, read 16,805,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
Living in the South in my day, if you weren't a Southern Baptist you were pretty much consigned to Hell anyway
Mine too!

We were presbyterians in southern Alabama. EVERY SINGLE PERSON I KNEW was Baptist. I was constantly told by my neighborhood friends that I was going to hell because in MY church, we didn't do 'full immersion' baptism. Also, we didn't believe in strict literal interpretation of the Bible.

Even though we were faithful church goers; my Mother taught Sunday school and my Father was a Deacon; I was still going to hell.

Everyday at school was a constant reminder that I was different as well. The Baptist Lords Prayer had some different wording than the prayer I said at church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or