Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 12:28 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Its been shown to instill patriotism at an early age, so I'm all on board with it. Especially when the alternative for many seems to be a disgraceful hatred of this great nation.
Why does patriotism need to be "instilled" via systematic brainwashing like that?

If a sense of patriotism can't be fostered by encouraging critical thinking, then one should wonder why that is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2019, 12:30 PM

36,530 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
I'm 59, and grew up in the rural South. When I was in grade school (public school, BTW) in the 1960's, we started every school day with the Pledge of Allegiance and a prayer. Obviously, school prayer was ruled unconstitutional in time. This was the Bible Belt of course, and everyone participated. It was just a part of life at that time.

Interestingly, I've found that some people (mainly 20- and 30-somethings, it seems) refuse to believe that such as school prayer ever happened outside of a religious school. It seems to be something that today's youngsters have trouble wrapping their minds around (which puzzles me, too).

Any of you 50-somethings (or older) ever have prayer in public school? I can't be the Lone Ranger here.
Yes. And although I now live in the rural south I grew up in Dayton, Ohio. We had the pledge and prayer every morning. At some point though prayer became a moment of silence.

Old 08-16-2019, 12:36 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I think a big difference between prayer in schools back then compared to what the Christian Right wants to do today is the intent. Back then, it was more or less a tradition and it wasn't the same everywhere. More diverse parts of the country were less likely to have it than places that were more exclusively Christian. If prayer was brought back to public schools today, it would be with the primary intention of making students who aren't Christian or aren't the right kind of Christian feel excluded.
If the left had their way, they'd implement prayer in schools and make it a strictly Muslim prayer due to their hatred of Christianity.

Old 08-16-2019, 12:36 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,219,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Why does patriotism need to be "instilled" via systematic brainwashing like that?

If a sense of patriotism can't be fostered by encouraging critical thinking, then one should wonder why that is.
Even the Boy Scouts have an Oath (or Pledge). Do you consider them to be brainwashed as well?

Old 08-16-2019, 12:39 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
At some point though prayer became a moment of silence.
In public schools, a moment of silence where kids and staff can pray if they choose is the best policy.

Additionally, schools should not prevent student groups from praying as long as it does not interfere with school business. So if there is a students Christian club that wants to meet before class and pray or whatever, they should be allowed just as a students Muslim club, or any other religion, should have that same right.

Old 08-16-2019, 12:42 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
I'm 59, and grew up in the rural South. When I was in grade school (public school, BTW) in the 1960's, we started every school day with the Pledge of Allegiance and a prayer. Obviously, school prayer was ruled unconstitutional in time. This was the Bible Belt of course, and everyone participated. It was just a part of life at that time.

Interestingly, I've found that some people (mainly 20- and 30-somethings, it seems) refuse to believe that such as school prayer ever happened outside of a religious school. It seems to be something that today's youngsters have trouble wrapping their minds around (which puzzles me, too).

Any of you 50-somethings (or older) ever have prayer in public school? I can't be the Lone Ranger here.
During WW2 dad was stationed in Miami area. We went to public school and said both the pledge and the Lords prayer every day.. At the time I was too young to think there was anything wrong with this. After the war we went back to our home in the Los Angeles area and never again did I attend a school where prayer was part of the routine. We did always say the pledge and sing a song even in high school and I think this should still be the custom. Here in AR they do say the pledge every day. I will add I see nothing wrong with a moment of silence just before the start of the school day, right after the pledge This to me, is very different than praying

Old 08-16-2019, 12:43 PM

21,934 posts, read 9,508,101 times
Quote:

We didn't have prayer but our teacher (who I believe was from Memphis originally) taught us Bible verses. I still remember them. Ephesians 6:1 Children, obey your parents in the Lord for this is right. Honor they father and and mother....' Nothing sinister.

Old 08-16-2019, 12:49 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I'm in my late 20s and the school I went to in the US only had the pledge once a week, and no one really bothered to actually stand and recite it. And no prayer, as I went to a secular private school.

That said, I know some eras/areas tend to be a lot more conservative, so I don't find what you describe difficult to believe.
I hear something like that and I am really bothered. Here the kids say the pledge while some one, begins it over a loud speaker daily as it should be and everyone should stand If they do not want to say the pledge that is a personal matter but they should be required to stand. This is just one of the many things wrong with our country today. there are no values left it seems and kids are allowed to do any damn thing they want. Teachers are afraid to interfere and parents let kids think for themselves way to often.

Old 08-16-2019, 12:50 PM

5,984 posts, read 2,238,141 times
Quote:

In Florida it was phased out when i was in elementary school (late 30's). I don't remember exactly when but I know I did it in the First Grade, went overseas (military brat) then returned in the 5th grade and no more prayer.

I was happy it was gone as it was always weird for my family, some of us are Baptist (Me) and some are Jehovah Witness and would not salute the flag nor pledge allegiance to the flag (no false idols or something like that).

I had no idea that people thought it was a problem until I was an adult. Half my family won't do it and they are otherwise southern white rural types that typically would if not for religion.

Old 08-16-2019, 12:55 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I hear something like that and I am really bothered. Here the kids say the pledge while some one, begins it over a loud speaker daily as it should be and everyone should stand If they do not want to say the pledge that is a personal matter but they should be required to stand. This is just one of the many things wrong with our country today. there are no values left it seems and kids are allowed to do any damn thing they want. Teachers are afraid to interfere and parents let kids think for themselves way to often.
This is America - not North Korea. Everyone should not be required to stand. It's called FREEDOM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies