Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2019, 01:08 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,431,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Isolated incident. Did they do that in say Memphis?
Never been to Memphis, so I don't know. If they get a lot of English tourists, I wouldn't be surprised at all.

I have been to Zanesville, Ohio, and I didn't get treated that way there. Then again, I was told I was the only Englishman they had ever met in real life. I tipped well to leave a good impression of the English.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2019, 01:10 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,496,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Never been to Memphis, so I don't know. If they get a lot of English tourists, I wouldn't be surprised at all.

I have been to Zanesville, Ohio, and I didn't get treated that way there. Then again, I was told I was the only Englishman they had ever met in real life. I tipped well to leave a good impression of the English.......
Well there you go. Americans in general will not know the tipping habits of English. They just expect a 15% minimum.

Old 09-14-2019, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Well there you go. Americans in general will not know the tipping habits of English. They just expect a 15% minimum.
It's time expectations changed, and staff were paid by the owner of the establishment, not the customer.

I could talk with you all day vacoder, but it's morning here in England, and the trouble and strife wants to go out to the supermarket. I am here to obey........

Bye bye for now.

Old 09-14-2019, 01:18 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,496,886 times
[quote=English Dave;56173698]It's time expectations changed, and staff were paid by the owner of the establishment, not the customer.

I could talk with you all day vacoder, but it's morning here in England, and the trouble and strife wants to go out to the supermarket. I am here to obey........

Bye bye for now.[/quo

If I go to England I will abide by English norms. I would expect the same of you if you visit the states. Good luck with Brexit. You will need it.

Old 09-14-2019, 01:43 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,089,753 times
Tipping should be banned and restaurant owners should be made to pay the proper wages to the waiters.
Restaurant owners purposely pay the waiters a lot less because we dumb effs and show offs, have started to pay more and more in tips to keep up with the Joneses.

Have you ever paid such tips to the guy who mows your lawn every week?

Those who do the dishes in the kitchen and collect the trash and clean up the place late night in the restaurants, actually deserve a tip if anyone.
Waiters already make better money than those poor workers.

Last edited by CaseyB; 09-14-2019 at 10:16 AM.. Reason: per OP

Old 09-14-2019, 11:41 AM

5,463 posts, read 8,182,393 times
The cheapskates who don't want to tip make me embarrassed as an American.

Old 09-14-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
The cheapskates who don't want to tip make me embarrassed as an American.
Cheapskate.......check.
Tightwad...........check.
Cheap...............check

Any more you can think of? It's still a scam.

Old 09-14-2019, 12:05 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
I don't like the custom of tipping. It's a relief to not have to worry about it when in England. But here, at the end of the meal, oh, the stupid tip. And one place I go to get a sandwich to take out now has a machine that automatically asks you how much you want to tip--I think it's 15%, 20% or 25%. I got conned by it once but then I saw that you can opt out. So I did. All they do is stand there and make the sandwich--there's no waiting on anyone or coming back to fill your water glass. Pay the workers and leave us out of the embarrassment.

Old 09-14-2019, 01:55 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Tipping should be banned and restaurant owners should be made to pay the proper wages to the waiters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewest86 View Post
I still don't get why tipping is connected to the bill.
Obviously, you don't understand the purpose of tipping.

The reason to dine out is not to eat. You can eat at home. The reason to dine out is to enjoy the experience that comes with dining out.

It is the waitstaff that makes that experience enjoyable...or not.

I can recall dining out in Florida with my mother and grandmother. The waitstaff were extremely respectful and courteous to my grandmother, discussed the daily specials, made suggestions and were highly attentive to our needs. Such service merits a 20%-25% tip.

That's different that someone merely taking your order, throwing food at you and then their next visit to your table is to bring you the check. Such services merits 10% or less or nothing at all.

Tipping is what motivates waitstaff to continually provide superior service.

If you include tipping in the bill, then you destroy the entire dining experience, because now waitstaff has zero motivation to provide good service.

They will grumpily come to the table, give you a terse "What do ya want?" sling food at you then reappear later with the bill.

You say fire them.

Yeah, right. Have you ever run a business? No, you haven't.

You can't just fire people and firing people is not free, it costs a helluva lot of money to fire someone thanks to Liberals.

So, what tipping does is result in voluntary terminations, because everyone else is making mo' money and that person isn't and they aren't willing to change their attitude or approach so they leave to find a better job.

Old 09-14-2019, 02:12 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,900,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I don't like the custom of tipping. It's a relief to not have to worry about it when in England. But here, at the end of the meal, oh, the stupid tip. And one place I go to get a sandwich to take out now has a machine that automatically asks you how much you want to tip--I think it's 15%, 20% or 25%. I got conned by it once but then I saw that you can opt out. So I did. All they do is stand there and make the sandwich--there's no waiting on anyone or coming back to fill your water glass. Pay the workers and leave us out of the embarrassment.
In some businesses the the owner keeps all of that it's a scam anyway they don't share it with the staff. I know of some shady business owners who do that and only share the cash tips out of the jar. The other thing they do is only staff the register with young women to increase the "tip" amounts keep in mind they don't share it. Lots of crooked business owners out there, the other thing they do to keep from paying minimum wage is to have several businesses but name them different and have a different family member listed as an owner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies