U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Yesterday, 02:49 PM
 
Location: Waco, TX
295 posts, read 160,227 times
Reputation: 358

Advertisements

Here in Waco, we have a chippy, and there is a tip jar right next to the cash register. Customers place their order, and pay for it before sitting down. The food is brought to your table when it is ready. So, do I have to tip for them to merely take my order?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 02:54 PM
 
168 posts, read 48,083 times
Reputation: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Obviously, you don't understand the purpose of tipping.

The reason to dine out is not to eat. You can eat at home. The reason to dine out is to enjoy the experience that comes with dining out.
Are you joking? Or maybe you think this discussion is about fine dining only?

There are many restaurants I frequent that have horrible service and ambience, but good food at a reasonable price. And yes, I still tip the standard percentage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 03:01 PM
 
4,529 posts, read 1,715,122 times
Reputation: 1618
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
The cheapskates who don't want to tip make me embarrassed as an American.
Are you a waiter at a restaurant?
Might as well, ask your employer and demand a proper pay rather than relying on, and begging for, tips.

Many Americans provide an excellent customer care over the phone, none gets paid a tip because their employers pay them reasonably OK. Why waiters are an exception?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 04:03 PM
 
Location: Central IL
15,401 posts, read 8,797,911 times
Reputation: 36245
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallbuilder View Post
Practically everyone I meet who is visiting the U.S. from another country has the same complaint, and sometimes horror stories, about tipping. It's strange enough that prices listed in the U.S. almost never include sales tax, and even stranger when tipping is factored into the equation so that the total price is 20-35% higher than the listed price. Nowadays you are expected to tip for your taxi ride, your morning coffee, who knows what else. A couple I met from Australia the other day told me about how a bar kicked them out for tipping "only" $8 on a round of drinks that that bar said were supposed to warrant a $12 tip.
You pick TIPPING as the thing that makes you embarrassed to be an American?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 04:26 PM
 
Location: Milwaukee
4,776 posts, read 2,233,786 times
Reputation: 2964
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallbuilder View Post
A couple I met from Australia the other day told me about how a bar kicked them out for tipping "only" $8 on a round of drinks that that bar said were supposed to warrant a $12 tip.
Name of bar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
What's even worse IMHO is automatically adding a service charge onto my restaurant bill. The other day it was 20%!!!! If I want to provide a tip, it's my call on how much I want to leave.
Name of restaurant?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 04:47 PM
 
Location: Just over the horizon
8,398 posts, read 2,884,318 times
Reputation: 4547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Obviously, you don't understand the purpose of tipping.

The reason to dine out is not to eat. You can eat at home. The reason to dine out is to enjoy the experience that comes with dining out.

It is the waitstaff that makes that experience enjoyable...or not.

I can recall dining out in Florida with my mother and grandmother. The waitstaff were extremely respectful and courteous to my grandmother, discussed the daily specials, made suggestions and were highly attentive to our needs. Such service merits a 20%-25% tip.

That's different that someone merely taking your order, throwing food at you and then their next visit to your table is to bring you the check. Such services merits 10% or less or nothing at all.

Tipping is what motivates waitstaff to continually provide superior service.

If you include tipping in the bill, then you destroy the entire dining experience, because now waitstaff has zero motivation to provide good service.

They will grumpily come to the table, give you a terse "What do ya want?" sling food at you then reappear later with the bill.

You say fire them.

Yeah, right. Have you ever run a business? No, you haven't.

You can't just fire people and firing people is not free, it costs a helluva lot of money to fire someone thanks to Liberals.

So, what tipping does is result in voluntary terminations, because everyone else is making mo' money and that person isn't and they aren't willing to change their attitude or approach so they leave to find a better job.



I go out to eat.


I don't go out to "dine" .


If you want to go out to have an "experience"......

Then go to one of those Japanese places that make little volcanoes out of an onion or someplace like Ruth's Chris where you can "experience" paying $75.00 for a $10.00 steak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 04:58 PM
 
Location: Just over the horizon
8,398 posts, read 2,884,318 times
Reputation: 4547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Here Wallbuilder, let me be of assistance.

If you have (for example) a restaurant tab of $57.20 and think the service decent or better, follow these steps:
  1. Take out your phone (I know you have one).
  2. Go to the Calculator App
  3. Multiply $57.20 * 1.15
  4. The Calculator will give you a figure of $65.78
  5. Then- and this the most important part- leave $65.78 as your total.
  6. Rounding up or Down might be a bit stressful for you.


Now, if you cannot do that, then you should be embarrassed.


Or:

Simply round off the $57.20 to $60.00.

Double that equals 120.

Divide by 10 = $12.00 for 20%.

Or split the difference between 12 and 6 to get $9.00 for 15%.

Close enough, no calculator needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 12:51 PM
 
Location: Ohio
20,358 posts, read 14,475,475 times
Reputation: 16530
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallbuilder View Post
Are you joking? Or maybe you think this discussion is about fine dining only?

There are many restaurants I frequent that have horrible service and ambience, but good food at a reasonable price. And yes, I still tip the standard percentage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
I go out to eat.


I don't go out to "dine" .


If you want to go out to have an "experience"......

Then go to one of those Japanese places that make little volcanoes out of an onion or someplace like Ruth's Chris where you can "experience" paying $75.00 for a $10.00 steak.

I don't do corporate box restaurants. I go for food I can't make at home because of cost or time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 02:58 PM
 
Location: Just over the horizon
8,398 posts, read 2,884,318 times
Reputation: 4547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
I don't do corporate box restaurants. I go for food I can't make at home because of cost or time.


Same here, but I don't consider that an "experience".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 03:03 PM
 
Location: Here
11,006 posts, read 12,040,572 times
Reputation: 6138
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Or:

Simply round off the $57.20 to $60.00.

Double that equals 120.

Divide by 10 = $12.00 for 20%.

Or split the difference between 12 and 6 to get $9.00 for 15%.

Close enough, no calculator needed.
Make life simple and just tip $2 for every $10 spent.

I hate to cook so I eat out at least one meal EVERYDAY of the week. Very rarely do I not tip 20% or more. You gotta be really crappy to get less than that from me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top