Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2008, 09:24 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,572,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwflconch View Post
No, that way of thinking is still with us
Not w/people of value, sorry

Old 05-25-2008, 09:59 AM

862 posts, read 2,622,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
...and highly subjective.
Once again, YOUR world view is useless, pointless, illogical and can be dismantled in less than 60 seconds. In other words, your position is foolish.

If morality is subject to EACH PERSONS OWN OPINION, then you are claiming there is NO absolute truth.

Therefore, if one choses to believe that it is morally acceptable to abuse women and children, you have NO SAY, you have NO GROUND, you have NO AUTHORITY to state what they do is wrong.

I ask you:

IS THERE SUCH A THING AS ABSOLUTE TRUTH?

Something that is unchanging & true no matter when or where. It is as absolute and true as the laws of physics that govern this world.

I await your response...

Last edited by LBear; 05-25-2008 at 10:19 AM..

Old 05-25-2008, 10:00 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,142,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwflconch View Post
No, that way of thinking is still with us
Those of you who are resistant to the use of common sense and logic...yep, guess so.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Wow...I think Lbear burst a blood vessel, and must think I have 666 tattooed on my forehead...Actually the tattoo is on my forearm.
Instead of posting foolish and childish responses. Why don't you respond properly and answer my questions.

The answer why you will not is simple. When someone is confronted with truth that they do not wish to hear. They will revert to childish games and diversions in an attempt to avoid facing the truth. An avoidance of reality and its implications.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:29 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,142,683 times
Okay, I'll play with you. But my patience wanes with someone can't understand how ridiculous his posts look when he can't make a point without the excessive use of the bolding, underlining, and italicizing functions. I guess if you don't have all that much of value to say, you can make it as ostentatious as possible and hope that works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBear View Post
Once again, YOUR world view is useless, pointless, illogical and can be dismantled in less than 60 seconds.
You like to say that, I see. Did you read that off of a brochure? Like the ones my old boss used to show me all the time, the ones that give detailed, twisted arguments about how every other religion that's not Christianity has been proven wrong?

Quote:
In other words, your position is foolish.
I think yours is. It's fun to revisit elementary school, isn't it? So many productive debates to be had on the playground.

Quote:
If morality is subject to EACH PERSONS OWN OPINION, then you are claiming there is NO absolute truth.
While that wasn't the point of my response to Fleet, I do believe that.

Quote:
Therefore, if one choses to believe that it is morally acceptable to abuse women and children, you have NO SAY, you have NO GROUND, you have NO AUTHORITY to state what they do is wrong.
Not so much. I'm in the position to say it's wrong to me. Also, we have these laws for a reason--to uphold this thing we call "civilization." I don't see how we could do so without laws.

Quote:
I ask you:

Something that is unchanging & true no matter when or where. It is as absolute and true as the laws of physics that govern this world.

I await your response...
I'm basically an existentialist, so no, I don't think so.

Old 05-25-2008, 11:02 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,140,907 times
Quote:
Once again, YOUR world view is useless, pointless, illogical and can be dismantled in less than 60 seconds. In other words, your position is foolish.

I ask you:

I await your response...
Your anger is probably sourced in your desire for the world to make sense. There must be rules, something conceptual or tangible to use to guide your life. You appear to have found your absolute truth but it's only applicable to you. No one has the Answer (insert angelic chorus) because none of us have all the information. To be honest, I too am uncomfortable with this predicament. But part of personal and spiritual growth is accepting that a conclusion based on limited information may no longer be valid.

Morality is NOT absolute and no amount of religious texts can disprove that. Yes, I agree it sounds "abysmal" to use your term. What are we to make of the world? Well, the answer to that is to be truthful to our own morality, the one born of our own experience and background. We are, after all, ultimately only responsible for ourselves.

The only absolutes I know are:
The Law of Attraction
The Law of Intent
The Law of Allowance
The Law of Balance
and...Change

In none of these absolutes is anyone judging anyone else.

Old 05-25-2008, 11:15 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,229,470 times
Quote:
Instead of posting foolish and childish responses. Why don't you respond properly and answer my questions.

The answer why you will not is simple. When someone is confronted with truth that they do not wish to hear. They will revert to childish games and diversions in an attempt to avoid facing the truth. An avoidance of reality and its implications.
Actually, this issue is mine to address.

Sitting judgement on your fellow posters through an assumption of more certain knowledge as to what goes on in the "afterlife" is rather childish.

You have no more insights as to the "larger" picture of life than your fellow posters, including atheist. All you really have is an opinion, and to express it as though it is anymore than this is foolish.

So, knock it off.

Old 05-25-2008, 12:59 PM

1,240 posts, read 3,971,323 times
Quote:

I ask you:

I await your response...
There may be such a thing as an aabsolute truth but we certainly haven't found it yet. Look to your own religion's texts for Absolute Truth's Revisionism. You really have no ground to talk about absolute truth because your own deity of choice presents multiple personalities and truths to match within the two books you consider holy.

Old 05-25-2008, 01:01 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,572,367 times
If you've noticed, most of LBear's posts have been on gay marriage threads & weather threads. Apparently, it's easier to argue about weather than I thought, how absurd. Perhaps since LB is such a religious guru, he should stick w/what he knows....onward to the religious forum please! And stay there!

Old 05-25-2008, 03:30 PM

Quote:
While that wasn't the point of my response to Fleet, I do believe that.

By saying there is NO absolute truth. You have destroyed your own belief. For to say there is "NO absolute truth", YOU, have made an absolute statement. You contradicted yourself. That is how FOOLISH your position and world view are.

Quote:

Not so much. I'm in the position to say it's wrong to me. Also, we have these laws for a reason--to uphold this thing we call "civilization." I don't see how we could do so without laws.
If WRONG or RIGHT is dependent upon each persons opinion and interpretation, then you have entered a very dangerous and a world of insanity.

If someone says it is NOT wrong for me to murderer and rape the weak. You have NO RIGHT, NO GROUNDS, NO POSITION to say that they are wrong.

HOW COMPLETELY FOOLISH AND INSANE your position is!

"Civilizations" currently, and thousands of times in the past, have had "laws" that were immoral. Currently, in Darfur it is LEGAL to murder and rape. The government allows it and actually sanctions it. Nazi Germany laws would allow and promote the torture, brutality and murder of non-German people.

This is where your "civilization" and no moral code lead to.

Your position if foolish and completely atrocious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies