Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 03:32 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,273,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
Imagine the outrage though, if people were standing on the street corners protesting the war by using graphic images of dead soldiers? Or rallying for gay marriage rights with signs held up showing images of same sex couples naked in bed together. There would be a tremendous uproar.
They do and there is - and I fully support any individuals right to protest - even if I do not like the message they are trying to get across -

Obviously, in this case - this protest hit nerves - probably the INTENDED consequence - it makes people think - it makes them "uncomfortable"

Thats why this group (and others) do what they do -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 03:33 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,643,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
I didn't mention adoption, I mentioned putting out the idea to those protestors of them taking care of all those babies they're trying to protect. Do they have the money to do it? No, they don't & they wouldn't if given a chance. How is that cheapening it, I'm not sure.
True, you didn't......I assumed that is what you meant when you wrote "ask them if they'll take care of your baby".....my bad

My point is that whenever prochoicers fling out the old 'why don't you adopt' line, well it is annoying. See, I didn't adopt as a prolife gesture, nor did I adopt to be just like 'brangelina'. It is not trendy nor is it chic. It is what it is, just like those of you who squeezed a kid out. Or not.

Old 07-11-2008, 03:34 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,571,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
They do and there is - and I fully support any individuals right to protest - even if I do not like the message they are trying to get across -

Obviously, in this case - this protest hit nerves - probably the INTENDED consequence - it makes people think - it makes them "uncomfortable"

It doesn't make me uncomfortable, I just think they're too funny.

Old 07-11-2008, 03:36 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,273,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
It doesn't make me uncomfortable, I just think they're too funny.
From the OP: I was disgusted by this

Old 07-11-2008, 03:39 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,714,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbd78 View Post
This isn't about whether you are pro-choice or pro-life, its about what is appropriate to hold up on a major road that many people, children included, are forced to see. How would you feel if you had to explain those disturbing images to your young child?
Wow,
Artful Dodger, thy name is sbd78. I'm perplexed that you feel that these pics are disgusting and offensive, yet the very act that these pictures portray (burning, dismembering of preborn babies) is irrelevant to you.

Those of you in the pro-death camp have done an excellent job of marketing murder. I mean, who wouldn't support a woman's right; only some chauvinistic neanderthal. Funny thing is many of us feel that that phrase is incomplete and the wording in total should read, "A woman's right to kill her unborn child." Now, that changes things a bit doesn't it? Like I said, you pro-deathers have done an excellent job at marketing murder. Ironically enough, women make up the majority of pro-life groups.

Sadly, the two groups won't change the others mind. We believe that the pre-born are the most defenseless, precious being that should be protected to the utmost. You believe that abortion is a woman's choice, ala breast implants and liposuction. Incompatible belief systems.

Old 07-11-2008, 03:45 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,268,389 times
If they were on public property, which most roads and roadsides are, then they have every right to be there. Anyone has the right to be there as long as they are not physically threatening people or disrupting traffic.

As long as roads are going to be publicly financed through compulsory taxation and remain public property, the protesters have the right to be there. Don't like it? Push for privatization of the roads and they'll probably be prohibited from standing there.

Old 07-11-2008, 03:57 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,298,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post

I've seen them. And it only makes me think "What a stupid, insensitive bastage!"... especially when I have my kids in the car.

I don't think that has anything to do with pro-choice or right or wrong or any of that. My BIGGEST issue is that unsuspecting children are subjected to this. Every time I've seen these protestors, they're out and about at a time of day when parents are transporting kids to/from school, or moms of preschoolers are heading to the grocery store. THAT'S my problem with this.

I am generally anti death-penalty. I don't want my kids watching an execution to prove my point! I am not going to take them to the slaughterhouse just because I'm vegetarian (we're not actually), or show them images of blown up soldiers to prove my opposition to the war. Nor am I going to show them graphic photos of the results of STD's to make sure they practice safe sex.

The reasoning behind it is irrelevant and doesn't justify the method, so yeah, it causes me to "think", but only about what kind of f-ed up person would subject children to these images to further their agenda.

Old 07-11-2008, 04:00 PM

1,016 posts, read 4,543,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Wow,
Artful Dodger, thy name is sbd78. I'm perplexed that you feel that these pics are disgusting and offensive, yet the very act that these pictures portray (burning, dismembering of preborn babies) is irrelevant to you.

Those of you in the pro-death camp have done an excellent job of marketing murder. I mean, who wouldn't support a woman's right; only some chauvinistic neanderthal. Funny thing is many of us feel that that phrase is incomplete and the wording in total should read, "A woman's right to kill her unborn child." Now, that changes things a bit doesn't it? Like I said, you pro-deathers have done an excellent job at marketing murder. Ironically enough, women make up the majority of pro-life groups.

Sadly, the two groups won't change the others mind. We believe that the pre-born are the most defenseless, precious being that should be protected to the utmost. You believe that abortion is a woman's choice, ala breast implants and liposuction. Incompatible belief systems.
LOL, how funny that you think you have me all figured out. I've never had an abortion, nor do I plan to. I recently found out I am pregnant and since I suffered a miscarriage 6 months ago, I am terrified of another one. Images of dismembered fetuses are not what I need to see right now. I want nothing more than to have this baby and calling me pro-death is a little ridiculous, don't you think? I really don't care if people want to protest abortion, but I do think there are better ways they could go about it. Showing disturbing images to anyone and everyone, small children included, doesn't seem like the best way. Protesting may be legal, but that seems borderline indecent to me. I'm greatful that my 2-year-old who was in the car with me is too young to understand.

Last edited by sbd78; 07-11-2008 at 04:09 PM..

Old 07-11-2008, 04:02 PM

1,385 posts, read 3,007,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
As we know, most people on the far left believe strongly in the right to protest- but only so long as it's their right and not anyone esle's who may disagree with them. This is one reason I've never attached myself to the democratic party despite some left leaning thoughts I have. The left is so totally intolerant and hateful. It's a very scary group.
What about Fred Phelps and his church?

Old 07-11-2008, 04:05 PM

1,016 posts, read 4,543,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
I've seen them. And it only makes me think "What a stupid, insensitive bastage!"... especially when I have my kids in the car.

I don't think that has anything to do with pro-choice or right or wrong or any of that. My BIGGEST issue is that unsuspecting children are subjected to this. Every time I've seen these protestors, they're out and about at a time of day when parents are transporting kids to/from school, or moms of preschoolers are heading to the grocery store. THAT'S my problem with this.

I am generally anti death-penalty. I don't want my kids watching an execution to prove my point! I am not going to take them to the slaughterhouse just because I'm vegetarian (we're not actually), or show them images of blown up soldiers to prove my opposition to the war. Nor am I going to show them graphic photos of the results of STD's to make sure they practice safe sex.

The reasoning behind it is irrelevant and doesn't justify the method, so yeah, it causes me to "think", but only about what kind of f-ed up person would subject children to these images to further their agenda.
Great post, reps to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies