Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2013, 12:36 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,177,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Sammy Sosa who personified the Dominican self hatred issue. The acceptance of dark skin and kinky hair IS the acknowledgement and acceptance of "blackness" (aka African heritage).

Come on. Yes, Sammy Sosa has self-hatred issues but to act like he represents the average Dominican is to act like Michael Jackson represents the average African-American.

Old 11-02-2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
I don't even care f they appreciate their skin or hair or African ancestry. they can go around looking simple like Sammy "the vampire" Sosa for all I care. it's pitiful, but it's his choice. I wish black American women would stop wearing ridiculous weaves and actresses would stop lightening their skin in photo shoots, but it's their choice.
Well imo, it is important for people in general accept themselves, learn to love who they see in the mirror. It saddens me to see young people in particularly insecure about their appearances. But yea, if people choose to be like Sosa, that is their choice.

BTW though, it's those producing the photos who lighten them, not those participating in the shoots. So that is more often men than women.

Old 11-02-2013, 01:08 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Come on. Yes, Sammy Sosa has self-hatred issues but to act like he represents the average Dominican is to act like Michael Jackson represents the average African-American.
As the "blackest" of the Latin American countries, Dominicans are well known for their self hating issues. Sammy Sosa is very much representative of the generally expressed attitudes regarding skin color/hair texture/"blackness" of the average Dominican.

And Michael Jackson had the skin condition vitiligo as confirmed by his autopsy, so he isn't really the best example to use.

Old 11-02-2013, 01:11 PM

Quote:
As the "blackest" of the Latin American countries, Dominicans are well known for their self hating issues. Sammy Sosa is very much representative of the generally expressed attitudes regarding skin color/hair texture/"blackness" of the average Dominican.

And Michael Jackson had the skin condition vitiligo as confirmed by his autopsy, so he isn't really the best example to use.
Really now? How many Dominicans take measures like Sammy Sosa? And Michael Jackson had all kinds of surgeries to alter his nose and lips and made sure as an adult not to wear his natural hair. So again, to act like Sosa represents the average Dominican is to act like Jackson represents the average African-American.

And speaking of hair texture, I surely didn't see the amount of obvious hair weaves & wigs in the DR that I do among AAs here. But Dominicans are soooo much worse...OK.

Last edited by ReineDeCoeur; 11-02-2013 at 01:26 PM..

Old 11-02-2013, 01:22 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
The Dominicans "struggle" with blackness goes beyond how they are classified by Americans. In reality, the DR (as most of the nations of the Caribbean) is a 3rd world country inhabited by people who are ashamed of their own ancestry and are bound to the colonial hierarchy of superiority.

Artists, Educators Aim To Transform Thinking, Laud Black Heritage In Color-Obsessed Dominican Republic

There's No Racism Here? A Black Woman in the Dominican Republic | AfricanAmerica.org
Indeed, my issue with Dominicans is not that they identify as mixed. It's that they consider anything white or European superior and anything black or African inferior. And since Africa and that which is African is a strong part of their heritage, I consider that colonized and self-hating behavior.

Old 11-02-2013, 01:23 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,906,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Being black and a descendant of Haitian immigrants, I don't understand why other blacks are so obsessed with making everyone claim they're black. If Dominicans don't want to be labeled black, then let them. I don't care. It doesn't affect my life one bit. People really shouldn't be labeled by their race anyway. If we were doing things right, we would all be labeled by our nationalities.
Agreed tho if you're a US citizen your "nationality" would be American. Like a pasty skin white dude who's a citizen of the DR would be "Dominican".

Old 11-02-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
I get what you're saying Cali, but you should let others define themselves. If others don't want the title black, I am fine with it. we have our own culture/history here in the US. why cheapen it by including people who were not a part of it? when they come here they are right not to identify with us. we are real generational Americans. they are immigrants.
The concept of blackness is not limited to the United States. My Cuban relatives embrace their blackness while knowing they are not African American.

Old 11-02-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Indeed, my issue with Dominicans is not that they identify as mixed. It's that they consider anything white or European superior and anything black or African inferior. And since Africa and that which is African is a strong part of their heritage, I consider that colonized and self-hating behavior.
I have a problem with anyone who feels this way...and it is an issue all over the place.

Old 11-02-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I thought Sammy Sosa was Cuban. Not that it matters.
It matters. A Cuban would never do something like that.

Old 11-02-2013, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
It matters. A Cuban would never do something like that.
Hahaha! So obviously biased! LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies