Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2009, 06:43 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,801,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nflfan1987 View Post
I think montana should have an nfl team
Montana is one of my favorite cities...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 06:45 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,801,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartacusTheSpartan View Post
Hey! Where the f*** is Toronto!? you know it's not the AFL is the's NFL and last time I checked N meant National. Besides Buffalo Bills suck move them to Toronto. Toronto can support it we play NFL games here anyways and we're the 4th biggest media area in North America and 5th or 7th biggest city.. ><

I disagree. no Toronto no NFL! Now I must drink myself smart.
Couldn't Toronto just support the Bills where they are now? It's less than an hour away...

Old 12-11-2009, 02:20 PM

1,598 posts, read 1,936,031 times
There is talk that the NFL may do away with the salary cap, especially if the owners fail to pass a CBA.

If that happens, we will see a situation similar to MLB where the big market teams dominate the post season and except for a few random occurances, teams in places like Cleveland, Green Bay, Buffalo, Jacksonville and Pittsburgh (yes Pittsburgh) will be perennial also rans. You would also see a team (or teams) relocated to L.A., most likely from Jacksonville, Cleveland, Buffalo or Minnesota
I pray this doesn't happen. Why the owners would allow this is beyond me. The NFL makes Billions and has replaced baseball as the American pastime. Why ruin a good thing?

Old 12-11-2009, 02:48 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,997,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknob60 View Post
Portland for sure. Portland only has one pro team (Blazers), we need at least one more. With a metro population of 2,159,720 I think an NFL team would be great in Portland. There's some cities with way less population than that and lots of nearby teams (Jacksonville and Buffalo are just two examples. Also SF and Oakland are what, 8 miles away? Come on...). Also there's not many teams on the west half of the US, this would even things out a bit. I mean come on, this is not even at all:

You now have a second professional team as an MLS expansion team will start play in 2011.

Having a professional sports team has nothing to do with population. Green Bay is one of the most successful franchises in football and American sports and it has a population of like 200K.

Getting and having a professional sports team in a city only has to do with one thing - HAVING AN OWNER!

I dont know how many times people need to post that before you all stop talking about random cities getting teams. If an owner or ownership group does not exist wanting to acquire or start an expansion team in a city, they will not get one - ever. A business cannot exist without someone to own it.

So, if you want to have an accurate discussion of which cities could or should get NFL teams, you need to make a list of owners or ownership groups attempting to get NFL teams and then find out where those owners are wanting to put their team. Until then, this thread is completely pointless.

Old 12-11-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
1. Toronto Canada.....the only team in Canada that can support NFL
2.NFL team half way between Tulsa and Oklahoma City
3.Sacramento CA
4.Portland
5.Columbus Ohio
6.Anaheim CA....or Long Beach
7.Milwaukee
8.Louisville KY

First, I am guessing that not a single one of those cities have an owner so that list is pointless.

Second, adding 8 teams to the NFL is beyond ridiculous. Adding any teams to the NFL is not a good idea. They have enough. Moving teams is the only way we will see new teams in the NFL.

Old 12-11-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
There is talk that the NFL may do away with the salary cap, especially if the owners fail to pass a CBA.

If that happens, we will see a situation similar to MLB where the big market teams dominate the post season and except for a few random occurances, teams in places like Cleveland, Green Bay, Buffalo, Jacksonville and Pittsburgh (yes Pittsburgh) will be perennial also rans. You would also see a team (or teams) relocated to L.A., most likely from Jacksonville, Cleveland, Buffalo or Minnesota
I pray this doesn't happen. Why the owners would allow this is beyond me. The NFL makes Billions and has replaced baseball as the American pastime. Why ruin a good thing?

I dont think it will have so much to do with big market vs. small market but rather which owners are willing to be big spenders. The KC Chiefs sell out all their games in an 80K stadium and make tons of money. So much that they would be able to be competitive with any of the other franchises. However, Clark Hunt and Hunt Sports Group are cheapskates so they likely would spend enough for the team to be average.

Old 12-12-2009, 12:53 PM

623 posts, read 1,542,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Having a professional sports team has nothing to do with population. Green Bay is one of the most successful franchises in football and American sports and it has a population of like 200K.

Getting and having a professional sports team in a city only has to do with one thing - HAVING AN OWNER!
You seriously believe this? Minus sports where there's a salary cap, population is the main factor for revenue. Yeah, the owner has to be willing to spend it, but that's the foundation.

Green Bay is the one exception.

Old 12-12-2009, 12:56 PM

623 posts, read 1,542,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
First, I am guessing that not a single one of those cities have an owner so that list is pointless.

Second, adding 8 teams to the NFL is beyond ridiculous. Adding any teams to the NFL is not a good idea. They have enough. Moving teams is the only way we will see new teams in the NFL.
Cities without a team don't have owners? Thanks for the news flash, there, Brokaw.

The NFL is the most popular sport in America. They could certainly expand without much issue. I agree that 8 is out of the question, but the league doesn't face nearly the attendance and viewership issues as MLB, NBA, or especially hockey.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolDude View Post
You seriously believe this? Minus sports where there's a salary cap, population is the main factor for revenue. Yeah, the owner has to be willing to spend it, but that's the foundation.

Green Bay is the one exception.

It's not about believe, it is a fact.

Yes, revenue is derived from the population. But, a big city doesnt mean you will sellout your games and a smaller city doesnt mean you wont.

Green Bay sells out every single game. Kansas City and Cleveland sell out every single game. Jacksonville is bigger than all three and can only half fill their stadium.

Last edited by RjRobb2; 12-14-2009 at 08:13 AM..

Old 12-14-2009, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Cities without a team don't have owners? Thanks for the news flash, there, Brokaw..
You missed my point. People in this thread are just randomly naming cities that have never had a mention of having an owner or ownership group attempting to get a team in that particular city(ies). My point is that the first step of getting a team in a city is having an owner or ownership group. So, unless you have a list of owners wanting an NFL team, you cant make predictions on what cities should or will get teams. It isnt about which cities deserve or should get an NFL team. It is about an owner trying to start a business in a particular city. People seem to be under the impression that the NFL just randomly puts teams in cities but that is not how it works. Sports teams are franchises just like McDonald's.

McDonald's doesnt open stores in places. Owners apply for a franchise and open a McDonald's store once they are granted the franchise. Sports teams work the same way.

Quote:
The NFL is the most popular sport in America. They could certainly expand without much issue. I agree that 8 is out of the question, but the league doesn't face nearly the attendance and viewership issues as MLB, NBA, or especially hockey.

I'm not saying they could not expand and be successful from a business standpoint because I know that they could. I just think having more than 32 teams makes the league too big for the matter of sport. You already have it where each team only plays 13 other teams in the league which is far too small of a percentage. For a sports league to run at maximum efficiency in regards to sport, each team should play each other at least once. Having 40 teams is far too large for a professional sports league.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football