Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2008, 02:11 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,437,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Hmmm, you're a year older than me, but we were in the same schools for those two years, wonder if I knew who you were...? Were you ever in band? That's about the only interaction I had with other grades.

Hmmm, you're actually a year OLDER than me, then...yet we weren't a part of that "6th grade center" stuff out where I was--maybe it's because I was in the county system?
Can somebody please explain the whole 6th grade center concept? Is it related to integrating the schools? They did it over a few years?

My husband went to Brooks through 5th grade - bussed downtown in 6th grade at Crosby Garfield (isn't this now project enlightment) - back to North Raleigh for Junior High (7-9) then Sanderson (10-12).

Tonight I'll ask him if it was 6th grade only. It has never come up. He rarely talks about that year - it was that bad....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 03:06 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,149,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Hmmm, you're actually a year OLDER than me, then...yet we weren't a part of that "6th grade center" stuff out where I was--maybe it's because I was in the county system?
I graduated from Millbrook in 83 and attended West Millbrook before that and Jeffrey's Grove before that, and I never went to a sixth-grade center. They definitely weren't county-wide and I think they may have only been in the city system (or schools from the city system).

Old 04-08-2008, 03:23 PM

337 posts, read 1,138,823 times
I think 6th grade centers predated the merger and were done away with shortly after I went to one, probably with the merger. An '83 graduation date would have put you in the 6th grade in the '76-'77 school year: after the merger.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:47 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,110,414 times
I attended a 6th grade center at Ligon in 1980 (I think).

Old 04-08-2008, 03:57 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
Can somebody please explain the whole 6th grade center concept? Is it related to integrating the schools? They did it over a few years?
Realize that I never went to one, but from what I gather: 6th grade used to be part of Elementary school (1-6...I don't THINK Kindergarten was part of public elementary school here then; they were seperate? At least not at mine). Jr High was 7-9, High school 10-12. Note that this was in the 1970s, when we had quite "experimental" elementary schools here ("New Math" and all that, not to mention "open classrooms" and team-teaching. Again, this was my experiencein North Raleigh, county system, might not have been the case in the City schools).

They shifted back to what we now have with K-5, 6-8, 9-12, but in the transition, I guess they took the 6th graders out of Elementary but had not yet added them to Jr High/Middle Schools--they had separate schools just for 6th gradaers (aren't some places kind of doing this now with 9th graders? "9th grade centers" at high schools, almost separate organizationally from the rest of the grades?) I guess it was like that, but entire schools for 6th grade. I think it was the downtown, old schools that converted over to 6th-grade centers. But we in the Wake County system stayed in Elementary, so it might have just been a Raleigh City Schools stopgap while they changed the formatting?

How's that for a qualified answer?

Old 04-08-2008, 09:09 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,437,728 times
If you remember driving by the old pullen house on falls of neuse.. and you were out in the middle of nowhere. The house sat at the corner of Falls of Neuse and Durant Road - where Wake North is now located.

The house was about to fall in the ground - that is how neglected it was. Don't be fooled by its current appearance - it was in dismal condition before being moved to its present location about 10 - 12 years ago.

It never ceases to amaze me how things change.. a long time ago children played on that land.. farmers grew their vegies, folks rode to church, etc. etc... It was quite a drive to civilization/Raleigh. Now look at it... amazing !!!!

Old 04-08-2008, 09:30 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,110,414 times
Any other natives NOT grow up North Raleigh? I grew up in West Raleigh, near NCSU and Cary and it was mostly farmland out here. Tha majority of the new Cary subdivions now were in the BOONIES! We used to make fun of the "rednecks" who lived in Cary! (I'm not exactly proud of that, but that's how we thought!)

Old 04-08-2008, 10:13 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,592,671 times
As sad as it is...I remember when we first moved to NC in late '94, and a guy who worked for me lived in Apex..and that whole town was basically the boonies with a population of about 5k...centered around downtown Apex. Come 2005 I moved there and was in one of the "older" subdivisions in a rental house built in 1997, in an Apex with a population of about 35k, where downtown was in the far eastern fringe of the populated area. As much as people who grew up as old school "raleighnites" think things have changed in their hometown...imagine how much the natives of the old small towns and rural areas of wake county (Apex, Wake Forrest, Holly Springs etc) feel now that they are residents of suburbia and in the center of "the triangle metropolitan area".

Old 04-09-2008, 07:43 AM

45 posts, read 118,270 times
Amedeo's, Sadlack's, Player's Retreat, Rathskeller(now gone), Brother's Pizza(now under NEW management...boo, hiss), Virginia-Crabtree(gone), Nowell's (gone),The Record Bar(gone), Roses(gone), Thalhimer's (gone), orange juice with castor oil(gone-and good riddance!), The Hobby Shop(gone), the Occidental building is still standing,but I have no idea of the format now, SECU took over the Nationwide building across the street, thankfully Jaycee park and center are still standing and haven't been plowed over for 'growth'...So sad about Latta House...I remember going to take piano lesson there every Saturday when I was 7 yrs old(the teacher was the organist at Wilson Temple Methodist Church).

Old 04-09-2008, 08:02 AM

45 posts, read 118,270 times
the Peanut Man.....he was called 'the peanut man' by the children, because he sold hot peanuts at Capitol Square for eating of feeding the pigeons. Downtown Raleigh use to be the gathering place for families on Sundays especially, the capitol for pics and feeding the pigeons....then the 'nasty' pigeons got outlawed...all over town. Wonder what kind of unreported diseases we all got from them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary