Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 04:12 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,436,299 times

Advertisements

You can name a total of 2 stores in North Hills mall. Oh wait, that one closed. You can name one.

What do you think of the "New North Hills?" Am I the only one who laughs at the whole "midtown" concept??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 04:16 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,586,180 times
Mike isn't on the showgram anymore? He was just this passed August! It was Bob, Mike, and some girl named Kristen. Who I believed replaced Amy who replaced Madison; who HATED all of them. My wife used to scoff every time I'd listen to the showgram when we were in the car together or if I mentioned hearing something on it. She said it was a stupid and immature program made for rednecks. But it really was hilarious lol. I don't live in the area anymore and I'm not "native" but lived there for almost 13 years so I actually "out native" probably 90% of the people who post on this forum anyways.

Also, I laugh at the name "midtown" because here in Rochester NY, that IS the name of the old crappy abondoned mall dowtown that's soon to be demolished.

Old 02-24-2008, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Mike isn't on the showgram anymore? He was just this passed August! It was Bob, Mike, and some girl named Kristen. Who I believed replaced Amy who replaced Madison; who HATED all of them. My wife used to scoff every time I'd listen to the showgram when we were in the car together or if I mentioned hearing something on it. She said it was a stupid and immature program made for rednecks. But it really was hilarious lol. I don't live in the area anymore and I'm not "native" but lived there for almost 13 years so I actually "out native" probably 90% of the people who post on this forum anyways.

Also, I laugh at the name "midtown" because here in Rochester NY, that IS the name of the old crappy abondoned mall dowtown that's soon to be demolished.
I don't like "midtown" - but anything was better than old North Hills Mall... I have fond memories of the old cinema at North Hills - where Kerr Drugs now sits.. A few years ago (before midtown arrived) I was at Kerr Drugs and saw a "time capule" in the ground.... does anybody know when it is due to be opened. Time Capsules were big deals in the 70's..

Old 02-24-2008, 04:56 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,596,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ Public View Post
When you see Boomhauer on "King of the Hill," you can't help but think of your friend from Garner.
King of the Hill is set in the fictional town of Arlen, TX. Mike Judge, one of the creators, is from Garland, TX, which is an eastern suburb of Dallas. I lived in Dallas for 20 years, and one of my wife's brothers lived in Garland, so we'd go visit him often. Yep. . . . . it's just like the show

Old 02-24-2008, 05:18 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,577,776 times
Quote:
There used to be a big old junkyard near the corner of Six Forks Road and Strickland.. my husband said it was practically a day trip to drive out there.. to "the sticks" as he called it.
Yup, it used to be right where Lead Mine Rd. intersects with Strickland Rd. I grew up in Crosswinds off Strickland Rd. My folks bought one of the first houses in that subdivision back in '79. I remember when Creedmore Rd. was just 2 lane all the way to Glenwood Ave., when Leesville used to intersect with Creedmore Rd. (now Millbrook Rd. Leesville Rd. used to run all the way to Glenwood Ave. what is now known as Lead Mine Rd. intersection. Lead Mine Rd. used to spur off of Leesville Rd.), and the closest grocery store was "Food Town" which was located in Kidds Hill Plaza behind Crabtree Mall!

Quote:
Yes, Mike Morse is still on the showgram. I think the o.p. was referring to the first Mike who Madison replaced. (Yes, I've been listening that long!)

Old 02-24-2008, 06:13 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,148,184 times
Here are some of my own:

You remember when Shelley Rd was a major East/West road through North Raleigh

You drove 1-40 West and it ended abrubtly near downtown Durham as the Durham Freeway...likewise, you drove 1-40 East and it dumped you directly into Wade Avenue. You also remember that you couldn't drive into Raleigh on an Interstate from outside the Triangle.

You remember when Raleigh had less people than current day Cary.

You ate at the Sizzler and Pizza Hut that are now Mellow Mushroom and Starbucks on Peace and Glenwood.

You remember when the old civic center opened to fanfare. For that matter, you remember Fayetteville St. before they made it into "Bicentenial Mall".

You remember that Hillsborough St was a one way street heading West away from the Capitol building.

You attended movies at the Ambassador Theater downtown

You drove through Bladen County on two lane roads to Myrtle Beach because it was faster than driving to Wilmington/Wrightsville

You played ball at Devereaux Meadows

You remember when the State/Carolina rivalry was the big one and Duke was an afterthought.

You drove Hwy54 between Raleigh and Chapel Hill and it was a long haul!

The Beltline only went around the top half of the city.

You shopped at Chess King in Crabtree

Six Forks, Falls of Neuse and Creedmoor Rds were two lanes.

North Ridge was a satellite annexation for Raleigh...you left the city near Quail corners and didn't go back into it until you reached North Ridge.

The schools weren't air conditioned!

You remember the old pool at Pullen Park and the Hayes Barton Pool.

The K-Mart on the corner of SixForks and Wake Forest Rds. flooded at least once a year

The big trees at Cameron Village with the colored Christmas lights during the holidays.

When people wanted to move OUTside the beltline from inside.

When the Capital City Club was sitting on top of the world.

When Western Blvd ended and connected through Boylan Heights.

Rex Hospital was on Wade Ave at St. Mary's St.

That, in 1985, entire Wake County had less people than current day Raleigh and everyone thought it couldn't get bigger.

:-)

Old 02-24-2008, 06:50 PM

932 posts, read 1,273,108 times
Amen to ALL of those! lol

Old 02-24-2008, 07:36 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,822,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvwakeforest View Post
You regarded the closing of the Hillsborough St. McDonald's like the loss of a family member.

I was a student at NCSU when the McDonalds opened. It was always busy - what happened? What is there now? I believe many years ago the building had a very seedy reputation. Went to eat at Two Guys a few weeks ago - theie prices have really gone up, they're remodeled some, and they still try to get you to sit in the back !! We like Gitannos better !!!
It is now a bookstore. Forgot the name, but I graduated in 2005. It used to be a movie theater as well after or before the McDonald's (I forget which came first as I was pretty young). I remember for Day Care one time we went to the McDonald's there and they were selling those Coke Floats in the glass cups and we could keep the glass coke cups. I think we still have them somewhere?!

I still wish Madison was on the Showgram. I see her around town randomly sometimes.

As for midtown. I live very close to that area and I am happy to see it do well. The place was going down the tubes, but now it is a very desirable location. I just wish people wouldn't tear down the nice houses on Shelley Rd and build 2 houses on 1 lot and sell them for so much money. This area used to be an affordable place to live.

Old 02-24-2008, 07:39 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,577,776 times
It was actually originally an erotic movie theater back in the 60's?.?.

Old 02-24-2008, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
It was actually originally an erotic movie theater back in the 60's?.?.
That's what I was trying to say but couldn't think of a polite way to word it....

Speaking of erotic movie theaters.. who remembers the old Old drive- in at New Hope Church Road and Capital? There is a Marshalls there now.... and for a long time a Phar Mor (not sure what is there now)... and an Uptons (long gone too)....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary