Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 03:51 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,430,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
Then why get hardwood floors if they are covered up with rugs?
Because you always have the option of changing up the rug as decor and styles change or get rid of it altogether. And you can always thoroughly clean a throw rug, where you can't really clean carpet well.

The house I grew up in was 200 years old and still had the original hardwoods floors. And they were still beautiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2019, 04:18 PM

6,589 posts, read 4,977,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
When my parents moved into their first house 50 years ago, they ripped out the ugly green and orange carpets. Gotta love the 70's! Underneath were beautiful hardwood floors. They didn't even need much sanding. My father touched them up, sealed them simply.

And they look even more beautiful 50 years later. Perfect.

In the midwest, seasonal weather and lots of snow = no shoes in the house. Mom's orders. So we kids buffed those floors with our socks for years and years.

Occasionally area rugs would be added. Eventually they were taken away when they became tripping hazards as my parents aged.

The hardwood floors are still just beautiful.
You realize 50 years ago was 1969 right?

I was looking at houses in the late 80s and found tons of green and orange shag carpets. They didn't wear very well either.

My house had pink shag in the bathroom. The was the first thing to go!

Old 09-15-2019, 04:43 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
If by "carpeting" we are talking about rugs and things that can be rolled up and sent out for cleaning that is one thing. The wall to wall stuff that has come to dominate American homes post WWII is nasty IMHO.

Vacuuming alone (even with the best appliance) won't get everything out, plus everything from fleas to God only knows what else can live/hide in carpet fibers.

Old 09-15-2019, 06:47 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
I have allergies. I don't like the "retention" aspect, especially with animals.

Old 09-15-2019, 07:25 PM

1,056 posts, read 726,570 times
A few years ago, Mom stripped up the carpet in her bedroom and replace it with hard, smooth plastic flooring. It's harder to vacuum, it gives dogs too much traction to learn to walk on smoother flooring, and it's VERY hard to clean up if the dogs decide to do...y'know, what dogs (and all vertebrae!) do...on said carpet. I'm thankful it was gone by the time I learned to vacuum.

Old 09-15-2019, 07:28 PM

87 posts, read 95,859 times
Because carpets are pretty disgusting.. besides everything else that has probably already been said.. my own personal preference is hardwood, AKA: Fake flooring Throughout, and large area rugs (maybe) in the bedroom near the bed only. Honestly.. Gross. Carpets are magnets for all sorts of unsavory ****e...

Old 09-15-2019, 08:00 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
It doesn’t make sense to me either other than hardwood is trendy. But they won’t admit it’s just because it’s trendy. Carpet is softer, it absorbs sound, it’s warmer. I much prefer it and won’t buy a house that’s all hardwood. I need carpeting at a minimum in my bedrooms and living room. They say hardwood is easier to clean, but that’s what vacuum cleaners are for. I’ve never heard of not being able to keep carpeting clean.
That's why carpet does not sell in Texas.

Old 09-15-2019, 08:00 PM

327 posts, read 456,699 times
I hate carpets. We have to have it in our early 60s suburban Cape house, on the second floor, because there's no suitable subfloor if we ripped up the carpet. We'd have to rebuild the floor after moving all the furniture and ripping up the carpet. Too much of a project for a house we'd really like to tear down and replace or sell.

But, yes, carpet is hard to clean, especially when animals poop or people vomit or spill a drink or food. I would love floors that could be swept and mopped, like a hospital.

Old 09-15-2019, 08:07 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,908,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
I don't know why Millennials hate carpet so much but boy do they ever hate it.

It's not just millennials. I'm 72. After 40 years of dealing with carpet in my homes and rentals I've had it with carpet for all the reasons already listed. I just bought a house with carpet in three bedrooms. I pulled out the carpet right away and I'm installing laminate flooring. The rest of the house is tile.

No more carpet for me.

I'm not even going to bother with area rugs. I'll just replace my slippers a little more frequently.

Old 09-15-2019, 08:35 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,648,319 times
I hate carpeting. Like walking and living with a dirty rag on the floor. Noooo~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate