Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 02:17 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,846,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOEM1226 View Post
Not to be rude but are you from the south? That is the only region where it would be surprising to be single without kids at 30. To most 30 is a kid.
And in Utah where the dominant culture has you married barely out of high school if not going to college and having kids right away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 02:21 PM

399 posts, read 855,143 times
I have one daughter out of three left. She's 31, very pretty, into yoga, and if you are a plumber we could arrange something.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:47 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,112,026 times
I know of a LOT of guys who wait until their 30's to get married. Women too. I'm 28. I hate this notion that if you aren't married off and breeding by a certain age you're somehow failing out of life. It's ridiculous. People should do things according to the time frame that works for them.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:02 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,921,396 times
Why would any man even want to get married before 30? To me, it makes no sense. The median lifespan in the US is around 80 years old, so even if you waited until 45 to marry, you'd still have 35 years to be married (which is an incredibly long time to be with one person).

95% of all guys would be better off waiting until their mid 30s to get married and start a family as your teens, 20s, and early 30s should be a time when you discover who you are, have as much fun as possible, date as many women as possible, and establish yourself career wise. You'll have plenty of time to be married and raise any kids you may have so stop rushing.

And no, OP, you have nothing to worry about as plenty of women around your age will always be on the dating market. People think that most women get snatched up by 30. While that's true, they also forget that the divorce rate is 50% which means that half of all the women who married in their 20s end up back on the market by their mid/late 30s. Also, if you really feel the need to get married, you can always go overseas and find a woman to marry (who will likely be of higher quality than you could get in the US).

Last edited by bicoastal10; 02-17-2012 at 03:11 PM..

Old 02-17-2012, 03:06 PM

391 posts, read 688,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicoastal10 View Post
Also, if you really feel the need to get married, you can always go overseas and find a woman to marry (who will likely be of higher quality than you could get in the US).
Oh my gosh. Tell me before posting this stuff so I can make popcorn
in advance and pull up an armchair.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:10 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,323,890 times
Quote:
Why would any man even want to get married before 30? To me, it makes no sense. The median lifespan in the US is around 80 years old, so even if you wait until 45 to marry, you'd still have 35 years to be married (which is an incredibly long time to be with one person).

95% of all guys would be better off waiting until their mid 30s to get married and starting a family as your teens, 20s, and early 30s should be a time when you discover who you are, have as much fun as possible, date as many women as possible, and establish yourself career wise. You'll have plenty of time to be married and raise any kids you may have so stop rushing.

And no, OP, you have nothing to worry about as plenty of women around your age will always be on the dating market. People think that most women get snatched up by 30. While that's true, they also forget that the divorce rate is 50% which means that half of all the women who married in their 20s end up back on the market by their mid/late 30s. Also, if you really feel the need to get married, you can always go overseas and find a woman to marry (who will likely be of higher quality than you could get in the US).
I never understood this whole "finding yourself" thing. You're you. What is there so find out? How would a grown adult in their 20s or whatever age not know who they are? Doesn't make any sense. Unless they were schizophrenic or something.

People just need to stop playing and fooling around. Just grow up, get serious and move ahead with life.

Last edited by 90sman; 02-17-2012 at 03:22 PM..

Old 02-17-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
I never understood this whole "finding yourself" thing. How would a grown adult in their 20s or whatever age not know who they are? Doesn't make any sense.

People just need to stop playing and fooling around. Just grow up, get serious and move ahead with life.
Most people don't really know what they want in their early 20s or even mid 20s (if you don't believe me, go to a college and get information on how many students switched majors). Just because one's legally an adult doesn't mean their development as a person has ended, that they have a complete sense of who they are, what their purpose is in life, and what their likes and dislikes are (most people haven't experienced much of anything by 25). It's like how people think that as soon as someone turns 18 (which is basically a senior in high school), they automatically have the same mindset as someone 28 or someone 50 (which is 100% false). No, they don't. Also, for a lot of guys, they need to date as much as possible before settling down with one person as many guys who don't do this end up cheating down the line because they feel as though they missed out.

Most people flip flop back and forth about what they want in life a number of times and I personally see absolutely no reason as to why a man would feel so compelled to be married before 30 (aside from pressure from parents or friends which is a terrible reason to marry).

Last edited by bicoastal10; 02-17-2012 at 03:38 PM..

Old 02-17-2012, 03:21 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,748,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
I never understood this whole "finding yourself" thing. How would a grown adult in their 20s or whatever age not know who they are? Doesn't make any sense.

When I was your age I might have said the same thing. The problem is, I've changed a LOT since then, and if I had married the last girl I dated (which was around your age), my life would be a nightmare now, and hers probably would be too. Because most people simply go through a great deal of change from 20-30. It's not like those people are just screwing around doing nothing, it's just the way it is. I'd be willing to bet that when you're 30 you'll be quite a bit different, too.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:16 PM

41,972 posts, read 75,229,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Relationships are becoming harder for people born 1980 thanks to a certain demographic being influenced by liberation movements.
Ummm .... what????

Quote:
Also, if you really feel the need to get married, you can always go overseas and find a woman to marry (who will likely be of higher quality than you could get in the US).
Ummm .... what????

Old 02-17-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Ummm .... what????

What I meant is that an American guy can get higher quality women overseas than he'd get in America. For example, an average looking American guy making $50k a year more than likely won't land a truly georgeous woman in the States (probably more like a 4-6/10), but if that same guy heads to a 3rd world country, he'll probably be able to land a truly georgeous woman (a 7.5+/10).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships