Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2012, 07:10 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,618,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXxaimeexXx View Post
My brother has cerebral Palsy, with a bunch of other things thrown into the mix just for fun. He is disabled and can't drive, so according to your criteria; he is a loser. Note that I love my brother more than life.
I never said anything about men with disabilities or other issues that they have no control over so please stop putting words in my mouth.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:18 PM

37 posts, read 24,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Ok, here's an example of a profile of someone who sent me a message a few minutes ago. I really don't think I'm overreacting here...

About: Smokes often with Athletic body type
Details: 27 year old Man, 5' 8" (173 cm), Other Religion
Ethnicity: Caucasian Virgo with Brown hair
Intent: Looking for a relationship.
Education: High School
Do you drink? No
Do you want children? Undecided/Open
Marital Status: Single
Do you do drugs? No
Eye Color: Blue
Profession: Electritian (he can't even spell his own profession!)
Do you have children? Yes
Do you have a car? Yes
Longest Relationship Over 1 year

About Me
Im a single father of a 5 year old...
I am in recovery and have been clean for 6 months now...

STOP THE MADNESS!!
"HE'S NOT A PERFECT SPELLER...OH THE HORROR!!!!!"

Get over yourself, Princess.

And as to him being in recovery? It takes balls to face demons like that an overcome them. Huge ones. He's probably seen more Hell than you will ever see. I know people in recovery, and know where they've been. He's probably already accomplished more than you ever will. But he's not good enough for you because he can't spell "electrician"?

You (mod cut)

Last edited by jasper12; 04-09-2012 at 07:21 PM.. Reason: TOS. please stop the personal attacks. thank you.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:19 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,377,352 times
Interesting, my BF can't drive, does not have a car. And yet, I have never had a man who cared more about me, or supported me as much as he does in my life. The fact that he does not drive has never even crossed my mind as a problem. I never cared, or even thought much about it.

He does not have a college degree either, makes a lot less money than me. And none of that matters...but he is awesome. He knows everyone, and makes freinds with people at the drop of a hat. People who know him think he is one of the best men ever. He volunteers to work with at risk kids, and the homeless shelter.

I hope the OP meets someone as great as him...oh...I have never given him a spelling test yet either!

Old 04-09-2012, 07:20 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,661,345 times
Quote:
My brother has cerebral Palsy, with a bunch of other things thrown into the mix just for fun. He is disabled and can't drive, so according to your criteria; he is a loser. Note that I love my brother more than life.

You are (Mod Cut)
I saw a guy on a documentary yesterday who was blind. He had the best personality EVER and he was handsome to boot. He wanted a girlfriend. If I knew that guy in real life, I'd totally date him.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:27 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,871,011 times
I understand totally. My sister is on a dating site and has shown me some of the dudes that respond to her, and so are many of my female friends.

For instance, let's take my friend:

Chinese-American, 5'2, busty, BA in poli-sci, MA in social work, working on a law degree. Wine snob. Loves a good debate. Totally type-A; actually, she's a few steps past type-A and is just plain aggressive. Attracted to wealth and power. Notes in her profile that she is only interested in guys who are her age or older, must have a college degree, must have a stable living situation and income.

She gets responses from: a guy who's four years younger, is in town for 3 months living on someone's boat in the marina and picks up odd jobs, has a high school diploma, has tried to be an actor and professional musician, failed at both, and now is just cruisin'.

A guy who asks her if she's Japanese. Weighs probably at least 300 lbs for his 5'7 frame. Brags that he's a prolific blogger. Admits in his first message that he doesn't have a car, so they'd have to meet closer to him (where he would buy her sushi).

I don't find anything wrong with people having standards, as I have standards of my own. I think it's better when people are honest with themselves all around: what they want, what they're comfortable with, and what they bring to the table themselves.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:28 PM

37 posts, read 24,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I don't feel that he's "below" me, I just feel that he would not make a good romantic partner for me.
You put him in your 'loser' category, you absolutely do think he's beneath your greatness *gag*

"Sweet Like Sugar" my ass.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:29 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,544,998 times
This is getting good I might call out for work....

Old 04-09-2012, 07:31 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,618,824 times
Quote:
And as to him being in recovery? It takes balls to face demons like that an overcome them. Huge ones. He's probably seen more Hell than you will ever see. I know people in recovery, and know where they've been. He's probably already accomplished more than you ever will. But he's not good enough for you because he can't spell "electrician"?
Not everyone is a great speller but I do require someone who knows how to at least spell their own profession.

Yes, it takes courage and determination to overcome an addiction but there's also something to be said for people who never go down that route in the first place. I've never been drunk in my life or taken any kind of drug so I choose not to get involved with former addicts. If that bothers you, too bad.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:46 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,603,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I understand totally. My sister is on a dating site and has shown me some of the dudes that respond to her, and so are many of my female friends.

For instance, let's take my friend:

Chinese-American, 5'2, busty, BA in poli-sci, MA in social work, working on a law degree. Wine snob. Loves a good debate. Totally type-A; actually, she's a few steps past type-A and is just plain aggressive. Attracted to wealth and power. Notes in her profile that she is only interested in guys who are her age or older, must have a college degree, must have a stable living situation and income.

She gets responses from: a guy who's four years younger, is in town for 3 months living on someone's boat in the marina and picks up odd jobs, has a high school diploma, has tried to be an actor and professional musician, failed at both, and now is just cruisin'.

A guy who asks her if she's Japanese. Weighs probably at least 300 lbs for his 5'7 frame. Brags that he's a prolific blogger. Admits in his first message that he doesn't have a car, so they'd have to meet closer to him (where he would buy her sushi).

I don't find anything wrong with people having standards, as I have standards of my own. I think it's better when people are honest with themselves all around: what they want, what they're comfortable with, and what they bring to the table themselves.
Agree. I see nothing wrong with OPs post. However, she may want to avoid POF. Its the cheap site.

Online dating is hit or miss, I met someone great a few years ago...but he was married.

IMO alot of fiction goes on, POF has many profiles where a guy says he owns a house, and it turns out to be a trailer.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:54 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,638,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Agree. I see nothing wrong with OPs post. However, she may want to avoid POF. Its the cheap site.

Online dating is hit or miss, I met someone great a few years ago...but he was married.

IMO alot of fiction goes on, POF has many profiles where a guy says he owns a house, and it turns out to be a trailer.

I joined POF earlier today after reading this thread, I just wanted to see what it was really like. I put in my real stats, uploaded a real recent picture and didn't fib at all.

I received at least 10 messages in the first hour I signed up. All but one asked for my breast size or asked if I was open to 'hooking up' and these are three messages I actually received:

how u doon grl, wnna play?

so why is beautiful single i am charles

ur pretty sexy adn girls wanna get wit me so you in?

So yeah, we'll see how it plays out but I'm not super confident
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships