Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 04:34 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,775,483 times

Advertisements

She is done with this thread, has started yet another one about some guy she is talking to...who doesn't want to meet her. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:43 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,650,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by napy666 View Post
And whats wrong with living at home with my parents for another 30 years?
Don't you think your parents would like to have their home to themselves? If you aren't working, they are still supporting you. After a while you will be seen as a burden. Soon they will want to retire and enjoy their golden years. Do you have any goals to be independent of your parents, or at the very least contribute something to the household? Do you cook and clean for them? Can you run errands?

Old 01-20-2013, 04:52 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,775,483 times
I

Old 01-20-2013, 04:54 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
Don't you think your parents would like to have their home to themselves? If you aren't working, they are still supporting you. After a while you will be seen as a burden. Soon they will want to retire and enjoy their golden years. Do you have any goals to be independent of your parents, or at the very least contribute something to the household? Do you cook and clean for them? Can you run errands?
This is exactly why every parent in America pushes every child who has normal emotional development towards independence. So that in their golden years they are able to enjoy the fruits of hard work and relax. I'd feel like a loser if I was living with my 60 year old mother and being totally dependent on her. I also think this is why young adults get educated or place themselves into positions to be independent, so they won't have that shame of being a burden to their parents.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:56 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,076,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollydo View Post
I
That was so incredibly profound.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:38 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,400,520 times
Living at home is not a big deal but doing nothing while living at home is. No goals, no hobbies, no volunteer hours, nada. I don't think there is anything wrong living at home, but there comes a time when we will have to carry our own loads in life.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:15 PM

757 posts, read 1,103,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
You think that's the case, I can tell you from experience employers don't give a rats ass that you worked in NY, Seattle, or any other place that people think they'll get a leg up because they worked there.
Whether if its the case or not. Everything I have is here, like I mentioned in the post.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:16 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,683,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by napy666 View Post
How can I get a job when I hardly have any job experience? MOST JOBS, ADs, Job listings, etc. post in their descriptions

REQUIRED 2 YEARS PREFFERED EXPERIENCE

MUST HAVE EXPERIENCE

NEED TO HAVE THIS OR THAT

When I got 0 of that or others how the hell are you suppose to get a job?
Try temp agencies. If I were you, I would apply for any job that matches my skill set regardless of experience. For example, if the necessary skills for a job require Microsoft Word and the job ad says, "Must have used Microsoft Word in an office setting" and you have used Microsoft Word for the past 6 years in college, then apply anyway. I once got a job through a temp agency that said "Must have 1 year experience in manufacturing" and I had none. I still got the job.

There are also fast food jobs, waitressing, clerical work, and Labor Ready type jobs. You can still keep a job and write. I worked 60 hours a week and also did freelance work for awhile so it can be done.

There is nothing wrong with living at home if you pay your own bills and contribute to the household.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollydo View Post
Employers don't care that you worked in NY. If you get the rest of your degrees, whatever, they may be, attempt to find a job in your field for 2 years, you will be living with your parents until you are at least 30.

Education is not about astonishment, it is about hard work and dedication to securing a self sufficent future.
Who told you it doesn't matter?
How many people do you know from NY , exactly?
And reading from your "About me" it says you're from Florida, and you're retired. So I'm assuming you're in your 50's or 60's. I'm here to tell you that times have changed. I know education isn't about astonishment (Don't even know why you used that word for). I do know, that education is about employment, because, without employment, I won't have the self sufficient career that I seek. However, there is another factor to employments and it is called creditably. So, lets be honest, are you going to choice the candidate who is from Iowa (who went to school in Iowa), or the one who is from New York City (The Big Apple, The Empire State, and The Capital Of The World)? Seriously, who is more credible? My money is on the kid from New York.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:57 PM

OP don't be ashamed of living with your parents be ashamed of not doing anything at all.
1/3 young adults live with their parents, so you're not alone. Some of these people need to realize that times are hard, and society is changing.

Before anyone judges me, I go to college and have a job. I have my learners permit, but I don't need to drive (Subway).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships