Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2010, 12:17 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,588,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Jehovah's Witnesses aren't your typical Christians. I haven't seen anyone else as "in your face" as them.

I did see something rather odd to me, but my room mate says they weren't Jehovah's Witnesses. Two young men, on bicycles, both wearing white shirts with ties. I am certain they were proselytizing, spreading their word, but they've never actually accosted me. Perhaps they've come to my door--but since I never answer my door, I can't say for certain.
Oh yea, those folks. I've some interesting situations myself. Just know though, if someone shows up on my door step or at my car...they will learning something about Christ, before they leave. That is how I think it should be. We teach, that's what we do.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:20 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,040,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblue2007 View Post
There's truth in the statement that 2 religions have been hateful towards others? Wow I didn't know a religion could hate. I thought that was a human emotion. I learn something new every day.

Surely you understand what is meant..... But if not I will clarifiy it for you....

People who are members of those religions.... But it colors how those religions are seen when their members act badly.....

Old 10-07-2010, 12:20 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
You don't even understand the analogy. Keep it in your pants unless I ask to see it, and it won't get slapped. Another good analogy that you will misunderstand is 'only the nail sticking up will get hammered down'.
By extension shouldn't atheists keep their atheism "in their pants" then? Maybe other people don't want to hear about atheism.

Although if everyone is silent about their beliefs and disbeliefs this forum would be mostly unnecessary I'd think. I mean we could still discuss belief systems we don't follow, and I could go for that, but it would probably be much quieter if we did that.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:21 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,665,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Your clip:

I'm pro-abortion. Pro death penalty. Pro euthanasia.

I have no problem with homosexuals or their unions/relationships. Has no impact on me personally.

I want religion kept private. Definitely not in schools or government.

If I don't like it, I don't look. I really don't care for "art" in any fashion at all. So it's a picture of a bunch of fruit in a bowl--big deal.

I don't go out in the real world--and the Internet isn't the real world--and talk about my religious beliefs, but every year for the last four years, I've been hearing about the evil Catholics, and how the Christians stole Christmas from my room mate--she should keep that crap to herself. I don't talk about God with her. I just try to stay the heck away from her--and from everyone else too, don't get me wrong. I don't care whether a person is religious or anti-religious, I don't really want to be around them.
Maybe she has been negatively affected by the majority that are not like you. It is pressed upon us in the media and so forth. It is in our face more often than not. If it wasn't, most would not have a problem with it. So maybe the ones shoving it down everyone's throat should be banished to an island so everyone can live in peace and how they want to.

You could just ask her to stop. Let her know where you stand and tell her you dont press on her, so she needs to back off in front of you.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
By extension shouldn't atheists keep their atheism "in their pants" then? Maybe other people don't want to hear about atheism.

Although if everyone is silent about their beliefs and disbeliefs this forum would be mostly unnecessary I'd think. I mean we could still discuss belief systems we don't follow, and I could go for that, but it would probably be much quieter if we did that.
Well you wouldn't hear about it if the religious didn't fling their beliefs everywhere. If it was all private, people who didn't believe would not be vocal. We would have nothing to complain about.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:23 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblue2007 View Post
This thread isn't about YOU it's about the board in general. You responded as if I were trying to "convert" you, so I responded about how all Christians are bashed. Please understand the context before replying, it makes this process quite tedious.
Oh really? Then why do you post things like this:

Quote:
if you actually understood the context, mercury got one waved in her faced and slaps them all
...instead of wording it to cover the board in general? Nope, you started out generalizing, and quickly moved into direct accusations and insults against me and others in this thread (re JazzyMom and your "YOU'RE A BIGOT TOOOOOOOO" post for instance).

If you want to generalize, then DO SO. But when you make direct shots on people, don't backpedal and start trying to retroactively change what you said when you're called out on it.

One thing you might learn if you stick around here is that we don't miss much.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
This is a 100% serious answer to your question. Christians and Muslims feel they have the only truth and everyone else ought to convert to their religions or face eternal hell.

You have not been on this city-data but for a day it looks like so before you complain maybe you ought to take a look at the posts attacking non believers.

And public places are not a place for anything religious, no matter what the religion.

You seem to be particular in singling out Judaism......But there are many other religions too.

But only Christianity and Islam have been hateful towards others on this forum.
There are lots of jerky Christians and Muslims, but come on. If you don't think there has been hateful atheists on this board you're just deluding yourself. Maybe they haven't directed their hatred on Judaism so much, but plenty of them bash the Tanakh and Torah in their attacks on Christianity.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:26 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post

If they're just being loud to be dicks about it, yeah. But if they're responding to the religious being pushy, then no. Defending oneself against an unsolicited religious assault is fine.

Going out and looking for someone to 'convert' is not.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
Oh yea, those folks. I've some interesting situations myself. Just know though, if someone shows up on my door step or at my car...they will learning something about Christ, before they leave. That is how I think it should be. We teach, that's what we do.
Even if they don't ask? Are you ok with the reverse? Going to someones home or car and hearing about how we believe your beliefs are wrong?

Old 10-07-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Well you wouldn't hear about it if the religious didn't fling their beliefs everywhere.
Yeah I doubt that. In England, which isn't exactly Evangelical central, you get plenty of people declaring their atheism and insulting religion. Granted they have an established Church, but the French don't and they have militant atheists too.

The Atheist/Agnostic forum doesn't get that many of us religious popping in, but it's still people going on about how bad religion is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
If it was all private, people who didn't believe would not be vocal. We would have nothing to complain about.
It's unrealistic to expect everyone to be private. Even in places where religion is to be private, like France as mentioned, there are still Christian clubs and atheist promoting groups. The Scandinavians have pretty large Humanist societies and some of them likely go on about bashing religion.

Even using the vulgar "penis" analogy there are places where men get naked. I'd assume a great many or the majority of heterosexual men have seen other men's dingles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality