Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 12:29 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,044,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblue2007 View Post
I insult those who stereotype all Christians and say things like "you read the same book", absolutely. How would you feel if I said all Jews were cheap? It's a nasty stereotype that shouldn't be said. Each person is an individual and should be taken as such.

But this is not about Jews although you have starting with post #1 brought us into the conversation.

Anyway Christians aren't victims here. But many of the posts by Christians here are insulting to others here. People are simply responding to posts by Christians that tend to be insulting.

And yes there have been plenty of posts attacking atheist, agnostics, folks who are not Christians by Christians.

If you said all Jews are cheap well then I guess you would be saying what others have said... It will not be the first time an insult has been sent in my direction.

What you don't seem to get it is just folks defending themselves.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:29 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,668,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
You could just ask her to stop. Let her know where you stand and tell her you dont press on her, so she needs to back off in front of you.
She would just claim that I'm trying to tell her how to think, or trying to deny her her beliefs. I know, she USED to be my girlfriend.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:30 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,564,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
If they're just being loud to be dicks about it, yeah. But if they're responding to the religious being pushy, then no. Defending oneself against an unsolicited religious assault is fine.

Going out and looking for someone to 'convert' is not.
Gotcha. So I can be negative to atheists if they start a thread promoting atheism or bashing religion.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:32 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,685,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Even using the vulgar "penis" analogy there are places where men get naked. I'd assume a great many or the majority of heterosexual men have seen other men's dingles.
Yeah, but they don't come up and mushroom-stamp your forehead with it.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:35 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,173,997 times
Quote:
This is a 100% serious question. It seems that some of you go to no end (even troll) to bash Christians, but the same animousity doesn't exist for any other religion, in particular Judaism. I've seen posts where people say how they hate seeing the manger up in public places, yet they never mention the menorah. I find this obvious focused hatred quite odd and would like to know what that is.

Is it because many of the vocal atheists were once Christians, so they attack what they know?
It's because Jews don't ram their fantastical beliefs down my throat.

I have a lot of respect for Jews (much more than christians) because at least the strive to follow the teachings instead of McChurch a la carte where weak pathetic people claiming to be christians cherry-pick those parts of the texts that appeal to them and reject the others.

I often went to Hebrew Union University to hear lectures on biblical (Old Testament) issues and also to study in their very nice library (especially since I could walk the several blocks there in just a few minutes).

Jews are constantly examining their texts to seek the Truth, whatever that might be, and they are very open to criticism, so long as the criticism is founded in logic and reason and supported by biblical evidence or parallel evidence from other contemporary cultures or archaeological findings.

Jews and Atheists would have enjoyed a wonderful 4-hour discourse on why Moses never wrote the bible except it was marred by ignorant bone-headed christians thumping the King Joke Vision and frothing at the mouth that because the bible says Moses wrote it (it says no such thing) then Moses wrote it and we're all going to Hell for even questioning it.

So between a Jew who speaks, reads and writes Classical Biblical Hebrew and an ignoramus christian who can barely read, write and speak English, who do you think understands the meaning of the word "torah?"

Jews don't have a problem admitting Yahweh had a female consort, why do christians?

Old 10-07-2010, 12:38 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,673,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Yeah I doubt that. In England, which isn't exactly Evangelical central, you get plenty of people declaring their atheism and insulting religion. Granted they have an established Church, but the French don't and they have militant atheists too.

The Atheist/Agnostic forum doesn't get that many of us religious popping in, but it's still people going on about how bad religion is.

It's unrealistic to expect everyone to be private. Even in places where religion is to be private, like France as mentioned, there are still Christian clubs and atheist promoting groups. The Scandinavians have pretty large Humanist societies and some of them likely go on about bashing religion.

Even using the vulgar "penis" analogy there are places where men get naked. I'd assume a great many or the majority of heterosexual men have seen other men's dingles.
How often do you hear about atheist groups protesting against other people, like say gay people,or abortion rights or holiday displays alongside theirs, or at soldiers funerals ( aka Westboro Church) or about books and teachings at schools and so on? They can have their groups and meetings, fine, I dont care, but leave others alone to live as they want. But history shows, they cant and wont,they just keep pushing so we will continue to complain.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:38 PM

Quote:
That makes you a bigot as well, since you are intolerant of all Christians (since this is the term you use) despite that fact that Christians are very different. Shame on you.

I am intolerant of Christians who have such a narrow view of others who are not Christian. I have no patience for those who missionize and absolutely believe they are the only ones saved on this earth.

I have no tolerance for Christians who believe they are being attacked when they are the majority and have been in control since Christianity became the official religion.

You have come to a forum and accused us of attacking Christianity. What did you expect?

That we would say oh, your right we are sorry?????? I think not...

Old 10-07-2010, 12:43 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,673,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
She would just claim that I'm trying to tell her how to think, or trying to deny her her beliefs. I know, she USED to be my girlfriend.
She is in defensive mode, given that you are not the norm, she is just used to the cramming down the throat religions. Not her fault really, just what has been done. If everyone just left everyone alone to believe what they want and be private she probably would be so hostile. But is she is your room mate, you may have to move if she wont be respectful and you are trying to be.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:
And not all Christian denominations make ugly posts either. Yet you say it's only the "Christians and Muslims". Do you get it yet? Not all Christians are the same, despite your attempts to paint all Christians with the same brush.

Of course I get it..... No one is saying all Christian denominations make ugly posts but there sure are a lot of them here. So like I said maybe you ought to go back and read some of the ugliness coming from some of the Christians here....

Old 10-07-2010, 12:49 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,598,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
No, not really. I don't read it, and I see no reason to try to be better than other people or spread "the message".

I'm fine if I get the reward and everyone else gets the punishment. My major reason for "believing" is to avoid a potential punishment. If there is no God, then I haven't lost a thing.
I think you and I are on the same page. I got the point early in life. I know how it ends. I've pretty much got the jest of what to expect in the duration, so no, not an avid Bible reader myself.

Now if some one asked me, say, like my daughter who is atheist or my sons, in which we never talk about Christ, I would tell them and I would have to go buy a Bible to show them or fetch the ones on-line if scripture is needed to finish the conversation.

If I spark up a conversation, my kids, they go, that's nice mom and the subject will get changed. I love my kids.

I faith that the power that moved me, will move them, or anyone and my faith is so strong, that I know in time, if they want information from me, they will seek me out, I do not need to seek them out.

I don't need the Bible to tell anyone what is in my heart, because Christ is there, He will give to me the words He would like for me, to tell to them.

Christ came looking for me, I didn't go looking for Him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality