Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2019, 07:53 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,012,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
The first paragraph is easy to agree with.
That last one is absurd and very objectionable
Yes, but I like for those types to keep talking because it demonstrates to me how naive I am when it comes to the wide ranges of worldviews. I was reared with the work hard every day, take care of your family, leave an inheritance, no lying or stealing and live and let live type philosophy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2019, 04:07 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Traveling to China in 2006 was very interesting, but it’s not like it was some kind of “orgasmic” experience. . I really don’t “feel sorry” for anyone who hasn’t been to China.
I never said people had to go to China.

I've never been there, and never will, but I have been to Korea and Thailand. And Honduras and Panama. And Burkina Faso and Egypt. Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Iraq, Turkey, Greece, Kosovo, Serbia, Bulgaria, Romania, Hungaria, Slovakia, Cheha (and Slovakia and Cheha when they were Czechoslovakia), Ukraine, East Germany when it existed, Germany, Monaco, Italy, Spain, France, Luxembourg, Belgium, the Netherlands, Denmark, Norway, Britain and Canada.

Alaska, Hawaii, Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Arkansas and Minnesota are the only States I haven't visited.

There's nothing like lobster in Maine, or Big Sur, or Grande Isle, or the Keys, or the mountains.

Not a lot of old stuff in the US, after all, this is the New World, but there are plenty of sites to behold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Most people simply don’t have the financial means to travel to distant lands. It’s not willful ignorance that prevents them from going.
That's because they waste their money on dope, beer and tattoos.

Funny how that works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
The first paragraph is easy to agree with.
That last one is absurd and very objectionable
I'm sure it is to the ignorant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Yes, but I like for those types to keep talking because it demonstrates to me how naive I am when it comes to the wide ranges of worldviews. I was reared with the work hard every day, take care of your family, leave an inheritance, no lying or stealing and live and let live type philosophy.
I do all that, and still travel and do other things I enjoy.

And, no, I'm not rich. I earn far less than the average American, in part because I'm semi-retired.

I haven't worked a 40-hour week in 11 years.

If you want a purpose in life, it's experience as much as you can as often as you can and preferably in the company of friends or family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
Do you love anyone? A child, maybe a spouse?

Do you ever tell that person "You know, I wouldn't even bother with you if there wasn't a big prize waiting for me after I die!".

Because that's what you're saying. And it's pitiful.
That's excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Seems to me surfing for the dead must wait until Resurrection Day ( meaning Jesus' coming 1,000-year day of governing over Earth )
We can be assured that ' No one dead is in any pain ' because Jesus taught ' sleep in death ' at John 11:11-14.
John's a liar, so how can we believe what he says?

Old 05-21-2019, 04:23 PM

8,667 posts, read 3,871,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
There’s no one ‘right’ or ‘wrong’ way to live on this earth; we all make choices. In the same way, some people choose to think about a ‘life beyond’ because it’s much easier to swallow than the reality of ‘nothingness’.

Old 05-21-2019, 04:59 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
There’s no one ‘right’ or ‘wrong’ way to live on this earth; we all make choices. In the same way, some people choose to think about a ‘life beyond’ because it’s much easier to swallow than the reality of ‘nothingness’.
and there is nothing wrong with that until they want to make me follow their rules based on a feeling.

Old 05-21-2019, 05:02 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,328,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Why should you be different than any other organism?

What makes you so special that you should get a free pass to some mythical eternity?

To even suggest that, is indicative of an ethnocentric view.

You're not really all that different than the 100s of Millions of other organisms existing now or that are extinct.

You're structurally different with greater agility, dexterity and mobility than other organisms, and your brain has developed to allow greater cognitive ability.

But, 90% of your DNA isn't even you, it's everything that lived before you, so any claim that you are different fails, since only 10% of your DNA is actually different.

Seeing how everyone just blinks out, it's probably best to avail yourself of every opportunity that presents itself, so that you can have the widest range of experiences.

I used to feel sorry for people who never traveled outside the county where they were born, but not any more. I realize they're just as dumb and stupid as Homo Erectus, and they're not even smart enough to know what they're missing. Ignorance truly is bliss, so just let them be.
Right?!? I don't know where I'd be if I hadn't traveled to Cancun and got all week long drunk. I'll look to see if I have any pic from that but I do have a tattoo of Gumby to remind me of it anyway.

Old 05-21-2019, 07:50 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Right?!? I don't know where I'd be if I hadn't traveled to Cancun and got all week long drunk. I'll look to see if I have any pic from that but I do have a tattoo of Gumby to remind me of it anyway.
Ha!

Too soon.

Old 05-21-2019, 09:29 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
That is pretty bleak...we just live 70-80 yrs (give or take), and then just Not exist anymore, in ANY capacity!!

Whats the point of all this then? Why bother caring about how we live our lives or the things we do?

That's the point, rs: there IS no point. Everything that exists must eventually come to a state of nothingness. Look at the universe. It is not self-sustaining. In a thousand trillion trillion years the galaxies will burn out and then all that space will be occupied by nothingness. Here's a great video that demonstrates exactly what astrophysicists theorize will happen to our universe. If you can't sit through the entire half hour (although it is spectacular) skip to the last five minutes or so. All good things must eventually come to an end, including us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD4izuDMUQA

Last edited by thrillobyte; 05-21-2019 at 09:40 PM..

Old 05-22-2019, 12:47 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
That's the point, rs: there IS no point. Everything that exists must eventually come to a state of nothingness. Look at the universe. It is not self-sustaining. In a thousand trillion trillion years the galaxies will burn out and then all that space will be occupied by nothingness. Here's a great video that demonstrates exactly what astrophysicists theorize will happen to our universe. If you can't sit through the entire half hour (although it is spectacular) skip to the last five minutes or so. All good things must eventually come to an end, including us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD4izuDMUQA
Yes, I realize what will happen with all the planets and eventually our entire galaxy, I just have a hard time believing our lives and existence are all for nothing.

In the big scheme of things, it doesnt matter one bit what kind of person I am in this life, I could be the next 'Hitler' and kill off an entire generation of people, or be the most generous person I can, giving to others and helping them out, but neither would make any difference ultimately.

I believe there HAS TO BE some purpose to all this, I can throw a bunch of wood into the air all day long, but its never going to fall into a complete piece of furniture! (analogy about how mankind came into existence-good argument for intelligent design).

Old 05-22-2019, 12:56 PM

1,402 posts, read 477,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I believe there HAS TO BE some purpose to all this, I can throw a bunch of wood into the air all day long, but its never going to fall into a complete piece of furniture! (analogy about how mankind came into existence-good argument for intelligent design).
No, I'm sorry, but it really isn't! We have a very solid understanding of how mankind came into existence, supported by actual evidence, and it has nothing to do with throwing things in the air... or with intelligent design.

Old 05-22-2019, 01:54 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,090,187 times
This is an interesting discussion and I must say I am surprised it has got 60 pages. I guess everyone wrestles with this as some point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality