Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 02:12 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
OK, so much like many other movements which have had a very good base and then were 'taken over' by extremists , the extremists turn those that may have been 'for' the original concept but got turned off by those that carried it too far .
I can see that and do want to withdraw at that point since it ends up being an infight and the 'cause' invariably gets lost.
what you call infighting, I call growth.

There is no logical reason not to call out anti-religious dogma as dangerous to the people that live around them. we owe to people to point them out.

in fact, any body that doesn't call them out is as accountable as theist that let fundy theist "just let them buy."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2019, 02:14 PM

8,669 posts, read 3,871,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
The difference between us is that I related what the case (on the forum) actually is, as...I forget...a counter to saying what a weak case we had or some such -no. it was about bullying atheists; the present position was won, long and hard. It isn't about waving flags. The difference is that I see things as they are, and not try to pull them about with pejorative epithets and slanted analogies in order to make the facts conform to whatever it is you feel you have to prove.

Poor old Random visitor. His thread has been hi -jacked. I think this discussion should be declared off topic. You have a thread in AA where you can flail away at the Atheist Agenda as much as you like.

It wasn’t about bullying atheists - it’s about anti-theism (and how some people wish to portray atheism). That your emotional perception of the subject keeps morphing it into something else, does not change the topic. But that’s really my point - hot headed emotion and ranting about theism is never going to help the cause of making atheism more mainstream in our society.

No thread has been hijacked - anyone is able to jump in about Christians and Atheists any time. This topic is about all things Christian and Atheist - and this is on topic.

Old 03-01-2019, 02:44 PM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
It wasn’t about bullying atheists - it’s about anti-theism (and how some people wish to portray atheism). That your emotional perception of the subject keeps morphing it into something else, does not change the topic. But that’s really my point - hot-headed emotion and ranting about theism is never going to help the cause of making atheism more mainstream in our society.
He really does not understand what anti-theism implies and why it differs from atheism, CC.

Old 03-01-2019, 02:50 PM

8,669 posts, read 3,871,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
He really does not understand what anti-theism implies and why it differs from atheism, CC.
Yeah, I see that. He thinks I am attacking atheism (or atheists who are ‘outspoken’) which, of course, I am not - as I am both of those things!

Old 03-01-2019, 07:43 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualVisitor View Post
WELL...I'm still a newbie at this place. I really was, originally, a "Casual Visitor".

At least, after this, I have my first original post under my belt...for better or worse, I'm at least not a TOTAL newbie here. *nods*

I chose this title to leave it reasonably wide open...and, I chose it because the "Why Christians hate Atheists" (or something like that) was where I first posted in this place.

I guess I'll open with this...If I may...
I've visited several threads and done some reading. I've seen some immense intelligence. Yes, for real. There are a few, what I would call, brilliant minds here.

Having said that, I've also noted one other thing...and I see it often. Arrogance, Pride, Conceit is rampant. I've seen rudeness, I've seen lambasting and abusing, I've seen something, at least, approaching hatred.

I've seen it from atheists and...I've seen it from those identifying themselves as Christians.

And, that will be my first pointed comment.

Christians...if you are truly a Christian...simply put--grow up and go back to Scripture. Your arrogance, pride, "holier than thou" attitude is an abomination.

Jesus did NOT teach this in the least. In fact, if you do study Scripture, you'll see He often came down on the religious leaders of His day--the Pharisees--more harshly than anyone else. He called them a brood of vipers, white washed tombs, the blind leading the blind...they were prideful, arrogant, conceited, know it alls...they worshiped---themselves.

I don't see dead people...but, I do see...modern day Pharisees.

Further, Paul was clear in Romans 12, for example..."do not think more highly of yourself than you ought..." Read and heed.

I am a Christian. Jesus is the Lord and Savior of my life. I am not perfect...I fall and fail...but my hope, my prayer, my heart's desire is to--on this topic--respect and love other's as I love myself. I may disagree with their life choices, I may disagree with their thinking...but, I'll still strive to honor and respect them.

I'm rambling, so I'll stop...I suffer from "run off" of the keyboard.

Christians around here hate me because I tell them the unvarnished truths about their religion. All they're used to hearing outside here are lies and I could tell you a laundry list of the lies they get told regularly about their religion by apologists if you asked me to.

Old 03-01-2019, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Might be better posting this in 'Christianity'. Not many Christians come here.

Really? They seem like a plague to me.

Old 03-01-2019, 08:13 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Christians around here hate me because I tell them the unvarnished truths about their religion. All they're used to hearing outside here are lies and I could tell you a laundry list of the lies they get told regularly about their religion by apologists if you asked me to.
*shrugs* maybe they hate you because you're really socially ungraceful and don't have a filter on your mouth. Same kind of person who would disparage their city, disparage their schools, disparage their parks. Nobody likes "negative guy".

And you don't know any "truths" about their religion. No one knows that. So you can stop patting yourself on the back thinking you're the keeper of the truth.

You might, though, want to consider why everyone hates you if you're at all interested in the future of ever making friends.

Last edited by ClaraC; 03-01-2019 at 08:23 PM..

Old 03-02-2019, 12:32 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,861,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I hope you hang around.

You're very right. Jesus was love, and patience and forbearance. And joy. And forgiveness.
Allegedly... and only according to the very untrustworthy NT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
An atheist is an atheist, ....
Good. So stop your gripping about anti-theists. We are atheists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
The vast majority of "Christians" bear little to no resemblance to Jesus as depicted in the Bible. I don't think this is news. It's not just the things you call out by name here, either. We see a great deal of dishonesty from self-titled Christians on these forums. And I think we all know how God feels about liars.
As I keep saying. If Jesus were alive today, Christians would be throwing stones through his windows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualVisitor View Post
I don't claim to be the standard bearer for "True Christianity" but...I'll try to the best of my ability to be, at least, somewhat, Christlike.
..but you cant be "Christ like"......that's the whole point of Christianity! It constantly tell you that you will never be anything more than a miserable, unworthy sinner.... whilst at the same time, it constantly demands that you be more "Christ like" ....which you can never do.....because you're a miserable, unworthy sinner. This is the way in which Christianity drives it's followers into an ever decreasing circle of self-hate and self-rejection.... until they arrive, were most are now, at the point when they feel that they couldn't survive without having a supernatural entity to help them through the miserable, sinful life that they are convinced that they lead. That's the clever thing about religion.....it feeds off the insecurity of the masses.

Quote:
As is said (in reference to several topics actually)...it's easy to talk the talk. The test is do you walk the walk?
I see! So when do you intend to sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor? Soon by any chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
A fair question, but I think I could write it myself. 'An implacable mission to obliterate Christianity and a a demand that all atheist should adhere to that aim and agenda or be excommunicated and forbidden to call themselves atheists ever again'.
I see it more as....

'An implacable mission to obliterate all wilful ignorance and superstition.'

Quote:
"[i]According to the secular group, taxpayer-funded government maintenance of the cross-shaped monument violates the First Amendment by promoting the religion of Christianity
Well bowled Sir!

Quote:
Yes, I read your post and quoted it. What is "the principle of anti-theism"? What is an anti-theist? It's not a trick question. You keep using these terms, and I have no idea what they mean.
Same here!

Quote:
I am very much opposed to others legislating their religious beliefs and forcing them onto me. If that makes me anti-theist, I will wear the title with pride.
That's two of us then. Stand by to be slagged off.

Quote:
Like the boy who cried wolf, Arq, your ubiquitous claims of victory have lost all credibility.
Well, I noticed that Vic 2.0 went quiet for a few days. Probably licking his wounds and trying to think of a way to claw his way out of the massive elephant trap that he fell into last week.

Old 03-02-2019, 04:42 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
Quote:
Like the boy who cried wolf, Arq, your ubiquitous claims of victory have lost all credibility.
lol, but it seems so real when his flock are carting him away on their shoulders. I live near Amish country. They actually think they are correct too.

they make no head way when they toss fairy tales at fairy tales. Luckily for us mystics, most atheist don't bite. There will always be more atheist that believe we are part of a larger more complex system. More of them will agree that claiming it looks like life is more valid than covering it up based on a fear of how theist will react.

Most atheist are not defined by a statement of belief about god and/or how the feel about religion. We can look at injustice of a certain person without labeling the whole group as unjust. We know that went a group of like minded people form up, their could be trouble, or greatness.

Old 03-02-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
*shrugs* maybe they hate you because you're really socially ungraceful and don't have a filter on your mouth. Same kind of person who would disparage their city, disparage their schools, disparage their parks. Nobody likes "negative guy".

And you don't know any "truths" about their religion. No one knows that. So you can stop patting yourself on the back thinking you're the keeper of the truth.

You might, though, want to consider why everyone hates you if you're at all interested in the future of ever making friends.

This is why they hate me

Quote:
"If I had not come and spoken to them, they would not be guilty of the lies they listen to; but now they have no excuse for their false beliefs."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality