Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 07:31 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
For me, I don't really care for posters who try to be sly and hide their real intentions.
The problem with your approach is that absent truly psychic ability, your determinations of who are and who are not being sly and hiding their real intentions tend to be mostly projections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2019, 07:33 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
For me, I don't really care for posters who try to be sly and hide their real intentions.
As a long-time mod in a previous internet incarnation, I've honed my Spidey sense to detect falseness. And I'm pretty damn good.

CV strikes me as a well-meaning, still-wet-from-being-born-again, Christian newbie. I've seen the same fervour in recently-sober rookies at AA meetings.

In other words, he's naive and thinks he's doing what his Jesus-god wants him to do.

I'll grant you obsequious, though.

Old 06-08-2019, 07:33 PM

50,823 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The problem with your approach is that absent truly psychic ability, your determinations of who are and who are not being sly and hiding their real intentions tend to be mostly projections.
I think that's a projection.

Old 06-08-2019, 07:35 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
As a long-time mod in a previous internet incarnation, I've honed my Spidey sense to detect falseness. And I'm pretty damn good.

CV strikes me as a well-meaning, still-wet-from-being-born-again, Christian newbie. I've seen the same fervour in recently-sober rookies at AA meetings.

In other words, he's naive and thinks he's doing what his Jesus-god wants him to do.

Old 06-08-2019, 07:44 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post

I'll grant you obsequious, though.
I agree. I don't see anything sly here. He's going out of his way to try to not be offensive. If one is a person to whom any sort of promotion of religion, no matter how moderate, is seen as insidious and/or offensive, one should probably not be exposing oneself to the content of a religion and spirituality message board.

Old 06-08-2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I agree. I don't see anything sly here. He's going out of his way to try to not be offensive. If one is a person to whom any sort of promotion of religion, no matter how moderate, is seen as insidious and/or offensive, one should probably not be exposing oneself to the content of a religion and spirituality message board.
1. You misunderstand me. I expect to find this here. And it's okay here. This place is about discussion on religious topics. But that doesn't mean that individual posters don't have a mission.

2. What you see as trying not be offensive, I see as being ingratiating to meet his mission.

But that's just me.

The question is -- at least to me -- would he be as "open-minded" (as he wants us to be) to proselytizing if he were the target of a Buddhist (except we don't do that), a Hindu, a Sikh, a Wiccan, a Satan-worshiper...or even a Mormon? Why do I think the answer is no. Having seen a Born Again confronted by a Satan worshiper once, I didn't see any open-mindedness. I didn't see any, "I'm willing to listen". It was more like a scene out of "The Exorcist".

Old 06-08-2019, 09:17 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
1. You misunderstand me. I expect to find this here. And it's okay here. This place is about discussion on religious topics. But that doesn't mean that individual posters don't have a mission.

2. What you see as trying not be offensive, I see as being ingratiating to meet his mission.

But that's just me.

The question is -- at least to me -- would he be as "open-minded" (as he wants us to be) to proselytizing if he were the target of a Buddhist (except we don't do that), a Hindu, a Sikh, a Wiccan, a Satan-worshiper...or even a Mormon? Why do I think the answer is no. Having seen a Born Again confronted by a Satan worshiper once, I didn't see any open-mindedness. I didn't see any, "I'm willing to listen". It was more like a scene out of "The Exorcist".
1. He does have a mission. He has stated all along that he thinks his belief is an answer to life for everybody.

2. OK. But again, so what?

You can ask him the question, but I think the answer is "of course not". If he believes he has the "right" answer, as many religious people do, he is not going to be open to the "wrong" ones.

Some of us have answered his question as to why we would not consider him doing us a favor with proselytizing. You seem to be angered simply by the fact that he IS promoting his belief, and that's what I don't get.

I find he's going about it a little more honestly than some.

Old 06-08-2019, 09:36 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualVisitor View Post
Jesus said, clearly, take this message to the world. There are times this will require me to be a "Peter.".

I must step out of the boat of comfort, into the unknown water and see what happens. Maybe "they" have heard about Jesus before.
But, maybe just maybe, their life has changed, their heart has softened, and they're ready
to hear about Him from me at that moment in time. Or........maybe not.
*That's not for me to determine.
You and I respect each other...tho it has been awhile!!!
I will trust u that u know what u are doing.

However, Jesus' message has been spread...we don't need to 'spread' it anymore...there's a church on every other corner of my city.
We need to just 'be' examples of his love and peace and charity.

Actually, my friend, it IS for *you to determine or discern when someone is ready to hear further
inspiration about Jesus.

Ok, a story....I never said a word about Jesus or God...Here, I am with a dirty, homeless type in a bar late at night in my local area...He tells me his tale of woe...OH MY....
blood in his urine, no money for MDs....and
some other health things...looks me in the eye and says, "It's serious."
I have my hand on his shoulder...I silently do a healing (meaning i talk to the Holy Spirit
and tell Him to heal this guy.)

I don't go back to this bar for 1 month....I stop in one evening....
HERE HE IS ....clean shaven, cut his hair, clean clothes, I say ,"Keith?"...he opens his arms and says, "You healed me!"
From that evening on no more blood, no more severe pains...he told everyone.

They all know now...and I never proselytized a thing. They all knew it was God.
(Words are words, man.)

PS I am into Blues...and Tues is Blues night ...I have a lot of friends that play and a girlfriend that sings...in case you all might wonder, 'Miss H hangs at bars?
....Yeah, I can esp on Taco Tues.

Added: PSS: Wear your little cross if you need to and go around healing people and dummy up, (ie, close your mouth)...walk the walk, I say!
Have dinner with the Tax Collector! And be with the people...love them in His Name if that need be.
Words can repel...if someone does not know that, they are 'outta touch'!
GIVE, help people!
(I say...and if they are agnostic or a Sikh or Hindu or into Bernie....cool!)

Last edited by Miss Hepburn; 06-08-2019 at 10:03 PM..

Old 06-08-2019, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

You can ask him the question, but I think the answer is "of course not". If he believes he has the "right" answer, as many religious people do, he is not going to be open to the "wrong" ones.

Some of us have answered his question as to why we would not consider him doing us a favor with proselytizing. You seem to be angered simply by the fact that he IS promoting his belief, and that's what I don't get.

I find he's going about it a little more honestly than some.
I'm not angered...although I would be if he was on my front porch. I would say that I am frustrated that -- as you say -- "If he believes he has the "right" answer, as many religious people do, he is not going to be open to the "wrong" ones"...and yet he assumes that others don't think they have the right answer and isn't going to be open to the "wrong ones"...in this case his.

Honestly, I have never seen a christian open to an alternative religion, and yet they keep expecting everyone else to be open to their alternative religion. (Note that I underlined I...as in my experience). In Thailand I saw christian missionaries being -- at the very least -- disrespectful of Buddhism. I saw a couple literally climb onto a Buddha statue. How would they feel if a Buddhist climbed onto a large statue of the crucifixion?

I don't see very many christians being respectful of Islam. Or Hinduism. And even right here on this forum we have christians telling other christians that they're not "real christians". I've heard Born Agains confront Mormons. It wasn't a pleasant exchange.

Two things I will reiterate:

1. I rarely see the respect in return that they request/demand. Or the open-mindedness they request/demand in return.

2. As a couple of other posters have also mentioned...at least here in the States, there's almost no one who doesn't know at least the basic premise of christianity and prayer, etc. Someone needs help...seek and they shall find. Until recently, I was living in Colorado Springs, where there are over 420 christian churches. You can't drive anywhere in the city for 10 minutes without passing one or more churches. If someone wants the gift of christianity, it's right there for the taking. Most of the churches have signs out front with telephone numbers or websites or hours of worship. Easy to take advantage of it...if desired. Just walk right in.

I am reminded of christ being called a fisher of men. And that pretty well sums it up. Throw out a net. Trap the fish who are unwilling. And that's exactly what missionary work is. Trapping the unwilling...literally fishers of men.

Now, having said all that, I personally have been invited to Methodist services and events quite a few times by neighbors and friends in Colorado Springs. And I have gone and enjoyed myself BECAUSE there was no pressure, there was no talk about what I should do, just enjoyable social events without -- oddly enough -- any preaching or "you should...". That's my kind of christian.

Old 06-08-2019, 10:13 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
Quote:
That's my kind of christian.
I know, right?
When I was a Christian...it took 6 months for my intensely atheist boyfriend to say,
"You are the most Christian person I have ever met."
Why?
I never once brought up my faith, or ever tried to change him in any way.
Even then, when I considered myself a Born Again Christian....I KNEW....everyone is fine wherever
they are in the life, on their own Path.
He didn't need to hear one word from me...(he was an ex Catholic himself....he knew more
about the Bible than I did, actually, most atheists do).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality