Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2010, 05:20 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,353,570 times

Advertisements

I think there should be a law preventing this from happening, especially in a child that has no choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 09:39 AM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
To the OP: Their beliefs are largely unscientific and absurd . . . filled with misunderstandings under the veil of ignorance that covers reading the OT.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:16 PM

253 posts, read 795,082 times
Well, they didn't come by this past weekend and they never called. I wonder what's up. I wanted to call and ask but I was afriad that they might've just forgotten and would decide to come pick me up.

Sucks that because of some dumb religion I'm too scared to call my cousins.

Want to know something interesting? Apparently it's against god's law to donate blood or whatever, and I'm donating next friday. Just got to make sure my cousins don't find out. Lol. Shhh.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:33 AM

646 posts, read 634,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
They're very frightened. Fear rules their existence. Sad, really...
How do you know that?

(\__/)
( ‘ .‘ )
>(^)<

Wilson

Old 04-12-2011, 05:48 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,736,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regs4rl View Post
my cousins are JWs and they asked me to start going to their congregation with them. i would feel bad if i said no so i went ahead and told them i would go. i'm moving in 3 months anyway so what the heck. i personally don't believe in anything that their religion teaches nor am i even religious. i just figured i would humor them the last few months i'm here. so my questions: what do you think of JWs? and has anyone else done something similar to what i am doing just to please family or friends?
Some of the nicest and most truly Christian people you'll ever encounter as long as you don't try to debate religion with them. If you open up any sort of discussion with them, you'll never hear the end of it.

There are only a handful of Christian religions that I would credit with having a "complete view" -- which is to say that for virtually all questions they have some kind of answer. Jehovah's Witnesses, Catholics and Latter Day Saints are probably your three most "complete" Christian religions out there. Whether you agree or disagree with their answers on any given topic, they at least have one rather than saying "God works in mysterious ways" or "God knows." (I'm sure there are some other religions that would qualify that I'm not thinking of right this moment.)

Latter Day Saints and Catholics are given more room to think for themselves than JW's from what I've seen. JW's can't read another denomination's literature from what I understand, and their faith has always struck me as one that demands high standards of conformity from it's members.

Their organization predicted that 1914 would effectively be the Second Coming of Jesus, the beginning of his reign on earth and the end of all imperfect earthly authority. It didn't happen of course. The repredicted the Christ would come again to rule the world and that it would happen in 1975. This also failed to happen of course.

I'd read through the following, but keep your grain of salt handy of course. There is no group of any kind on the planet that doesn't have it's critics.
Jehovah's Witnesses - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Criticism of Jehovah's Witnesses - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In the end, IMHO, JW's are very, very good people but a little misguided in some things.

Old 04-21-2011, 05:32 PM

646 posts, read 634,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
To the OP: Their beliefs are largely unscientific and absurd . . . filled with misunderstandings under the veil of ignorance that covers reading the OT.
How do you know that?

(\__/)
( ‘ .‘ )
>(^)<

Wilson

Old 04-21-2011, 06:19 PM

60 posts, read 157,980 times
Quote:
my cousins are JWs and they asked me to start going to their congregation with them. i would feel bad if i said no so i went ahead and told them i would go. i'm moving in 3 months anyway so what the heck. i personally don't believe in anything that their religion teaches nor am i even religious. i just figured i would humor them the last few months i'm here. so my questions: what do you think of JWs? and has anyone else done something similar to what i am doing just to please family or friends?
Joining cults is probably not a good idea, it is like doing heroin, not knowing up front if you have an addictive personality.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:32 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,464,091 times
Quote:
Lucky! I have to go in about 3 1/2 hours. Grrr. It's so obnoxiously boring and I feel like I'm in 3rd grade again when we read the magazine and answer questions. ugh.
Oh man I thought that was just me! I went to a congregation in my non-native language when I was learning how to understand sign language through touch, and even then it was boring and way too easy to follow. The WT is dumbed down to the point it's borderline-insulting.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tongpa-nyi View Post

When I lived in a predominantly African-American neighborhood I would receive visits from pairs of well-dressed middle-aged women (usually around 50 to 65 years old it seemed) and they were always SO NICE, it was very difficult to explain to them that I respected their beliefs and appreciated their kindness but I have absolutely zero interest in hearing about yet another religion.

Does anyone happen to know the history behind why so many JW's are African-American? Maybe I can find that on the omniscient Wikipedia. Or I can just call my buddies Venus and Serena.
They were against racial segregation way before the country at large made it to that point. They held racially integrated assemblies and meetings long before the rest of the country did too. They would even have whole systems to protect attendees from being the target of racially-instigated violence.

Not that that's the only reason there are so many black people in the JW community, but I am sure that definitely helps. A lot of churches today are still very segregated even in areas that are otherwise very integrated, so the fact the JW's aren't does kind of make them stand out.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asilas29 View Post
I must say, you really need to get your facts right about the JW's, the DO NOT babtize children as young as 7-8. I don't think I know of ANYONE who has been babtized younger than 16.
I know people that were baptized at 12-13 but not 7-8.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality