Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2017, 12:57 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,915,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
....wow. Forget everything crazy that happened in 2016, something crazy just happened in 2017: I REPPED MORDANT

The JWs are basically a cult...well, let me put it this way: on a scale of 1 to 10, with "1" being Deist and Wiccans (who often practice alone and invent their own scriptures) and "10" would be the Heaven's Gate, the JWs would be about an "8" on the cult scale.

In many ways, they are worse than Scientology. At least Scientologists put their kids in public schools and do not think that everyone else has "demon cooties"

I don't care what people believe, but rather how organizations are structured. And the JWs are structured like a fascist regime, with their "governing body" on top who make all the rules and figure out ways of covering up false claims about the end of the world.

Back in the 90s I remember them saying that "the generation around during 1914 would not pass from the Earth before Jesus returned." Well, most people born in 1914 are now dead and maybe a few dozen people are over 103 years old or older. In ten years, that prediction too will be completely modified.

The big issue with the JW is they are LESS likely to listen to any debates than your average Christian because they are terrified of being "disfellowed" and having their families taken away from them. Hence, even if they do see the light and realize they are being duped, they will not admit it.

Poor souls.

The only view on what a cult is that has any value is Gods view--Here it is--

Mark 3:24-26--A house divided( 33,000 trinity based religions) will NOT stand.

They fail this true mark of the one single religion Jesus began--- 1Cor 1:10-- unity of thought( all matters of truth) no division.

the trinity teachers have had over 1700 years to apply bible truths, yet cannot seem to understand English-- the reason for that is--they do not know God or his son. They know their translations have altered to mislead, yet like the Pharisees in Jesus day, outright refuse to make correction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 01:02 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,026,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regs4rl View Post
my cousins are JWs and they asked me to start going to their congregation with them. i would feel bad if i said no so i went ahead and told them i would go. i'm moving in 3 months anyway so what the heck. i personally don't believe in anything that their religion teaches nor am i even religious. i just figured i would humor them the last few months i'm here. so my questions: what do you think of JWs? and has anyone else done something similar to what i am doing just to please family or friends?
They are like scientologists. They practice "disconnection" from families yet they call it "Disfellowshipped"

They disfellowshipped my ex bus driver for smoking cigarettes. His family demeaned him. He attended church with NO ONE speaking to him. We were not allowed to talk to him. He was being shunned and shamed right in front of his young children. While Gossip is a sin, the bible is silent about smoking. Yet they choose to lie and pretend the bible says it vagely regarding being sober and health.

No one was ever disfellowshipped for the sin of gossip.

I still have my live in paradise on earth book. Where it predicts about 5 years ago the end of the world. Yet we're still here

Very dangerous cult. I am so glad I got out. RUN!!!

Old 01-11-2017, 07:18 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,163,875 times
Demon cooties?

Old 01-11-2017, 08:55 PM

63,790 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyDrew1 View Post
They are like scientologists. They practice "disconnection" from families yet they call it "Disfellowshipped"
They disfellowshipped my ex bus driver for smoking cigarettes. His family demeaned him. He attended church with NO ONE speaking to him. We were not allowed to talk to him. He was being shunned and shamed right in front of his young children. While Gossip is a sin, the bible is silent about smoking. Yet they choose to lie and pretend the bible says it vagely regarding being sober and health.
No one was ever disfellowshipped for the sin of gossip.
I still have my live in paradise on earth book. Where it predicts about 5 years ago the end of the world. Yet we're still here
Very dangerous cult. I am so glad I got out. RUN!!!
I have tremendous admiration and respect for those who escape the clutches of these harmful belief systems. I just hope that they do NOT blame God or belief in God for these abominations of men.

Old 01-11-2017, 09:23 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,976,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post

They fail this true mark of the one single religion Jesus began--- 1Cor 1:10-- unity of thought( all matters of truth) no division.

the trinity teachers have had over 1700 years to apply bible truths, yet cannot seem to understand English-- the reason for that is--they do not know God or his son. They know their translations have altered to mislead, yet like the Pharisees in Jesus day, outright refuse to make correction.

You honestly do NOT want to start this argument with me. Trust me.

Let's just say that your whole "Bible" is full of bad translations, errors, omissions, textual differences etc.

Here is what I don't understand about Saklas worshipers like you: you put so much faith in God, which you can't test, fair enough, but also so much faith in A BOOK. Unlike God, one can easily look into the history of the Bible and how it came to be. And there are real historians who look into this called "Biblical scholars", and many of them just do the research with no pre-determined bias.

Almost to a number, they say the Bible is not what you think it is.

For starters...which Bible? And no, I don't mean "King James vs New Living Translation" nonsense, I mean really, which Bible? The Book of Enoch, for example, is canon in the Ethiopian church, but not other churches. This despite the fact that it quoted as scripture in the Epistle of Jude (Jude 1:14-15) So is Enoch a part of the Bible that needs to be added, or does the Epistle of Jude have to be exacto-knifed out of the Bible?

Just look into it for yourself. Read up on a fellow named Bart Ehrman. I mean, if the Bible is the absolute truth, than what could it hurt looking into where that truth came from? If you are so sure what the outcome will be, why not just spend sometime looking into this, without the guidance of the Elders?

Old 01-11-2017, 11:06 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,026,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I have tremendous admiration and respect for those who escape the clutches of these harmful belief systems. I just hope that they do NOT blame God or belief in God for these abominations of men.
I agree. Wiser words have never been spoken

Old 01-11-2017, 11:37 PM

481 posts, read 262,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post

A lot of truth here. Christendom has missed the boat as far as understanding what God's Word actually says, so they just rely on tradition not scriptures.

I think if you went back 60 years or so the religions of Christendom would be muttering the same sayings as they do now, no alteration, no new information, nothing, Just put your money in the plate, and see ya' next week, or at the fete, or at the easter egg hunt, or at the gift giving to the pastor.

If the Jws are a cult, meet a very happy cultist, but of course, those that say the Jws are a cult have no knowledge of the organization what so ever and just spend time nattering nasties at something they do not understand.

Let me tell you this: There is no government, not organization,no business, no other group, religious or otherwise, that are as organized as the JWs. throughout the world.

Old 01-11-2017, 11:42 PM

481 posts, read 262,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post

Let's just say that your whole "Bible" is full of bad translations, errors, omissions, textual differences etc.

Here is what I don't understand about Saklas worshipers like you: you put so much faith in God, which you can't test, fair enough, but also so much faith in A BOOK. Unlike God, one can easily look into the history of the Bible and how it came to be. And there are real historians who look into this called "Biblical scholars", and many of them just do the research with no pre-determined bias.

Almost to a number, they say the Bible is not what you think it is.

For starters...which Bible? And no, I don't mean "King James vs New Living Translation" nonsense, I mean really, which Bible? The Book of Enoch, for example, is canon in the Ethiopian church, but not other churches. This despite the fact that it quoted as scripture in the Epistle of Jude (Jude 1:14-15) So is Enoch a part of the Bible that needs to be added, or does the Epistle of Jude have to be exacto-knifed out of the Bible?

Just look into it for yourself. Read up on a fellow named Bart Ehrman. I mean, if the Bible is the absolute truth, than what could it hurt looking into where that truth came from? If you are so sure what the outcome will be, why not just spend sometime looking into this, without the guidance of the Elders?

WOW! folks this forum is certainly looking up, we now have someone that knows more than God: However, I am sure God's name is not Bart Ehrman.

Old 01-11-2017, 11:50 PM

63,790 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marakorpa View Post
WOW! folks this forum is certainly looking up, we now have someone that knows more than God: However, I am sure God's name is not Bart Ehrman.
The arrogant assurance that you have God's word in some book compiled by men is absolutely ridiculous. That you have the hubris to pretend that any challenge to that book is a challenge to God is preposterous. It reveals that your God is really a book and that is idolatry.

Old 01-12-2017, 12:28 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,976,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marakorpa View Post
WOW! folks this forum is certainly looking up, we now have someone that knows more than God
So God knew to move the men at the council of Hippo to pick the right books out of the countless gospels floating around? So God knew that his message had to be different to the Horn of Africa than from Europe, so he made sure to keep the book of Enoch out of Western canon? Did he move through Martin Luther and convince him not to remove the Book of Revelation, which he considered barely Christian and came very close to deeming apocryphal? Where the Christians of old not Christians when most of them were reading the Epistle of Barnabas, which later fell out of canon?

And the Synod of Hippo happened in 393...so, for almost four hundred years, did all Christians go to hell? There was no "Bible" as you know it today before that date.

I can understand faith in God without evidence, but not faith in the book. The history of the book has left a LITERAL paper-trail.

Why not look into the Bible's history for yourself instead of blindly saying "It's from God!" and dismissing the fact that it wasn't even a single book for centuries, and the people who edited it and compiled it were just men with agendas, and not God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality