Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2017, 02:36 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,938,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I liked their fb page or something, was on their mailing list for awhile. Seems like a great group, made me want to move out west somewhere I could have an impact with like minded ladies!

Oh, they're wonderful! Really a fun group and they actually do make a difference around here.

I am depressed today because of all things, my ancient vacuum cleaner has given up the ghost. Right now I can't afford to replace it and my carpets are simply awful. I shouldn't let myself get depressed over something that is fairly trivial in the grand scheme of things, but there you go. I was thinking of sweeping my carpets with a broom? But I don't know if the result would be worth all that effort. I also considered running my rug shampooer over the carpets, but I'm afraid that all the pet hair and dirt and grime would clog up the shampooer and then I'd have two household appliances that are broken instead of one. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Old 07-02-2017, 02:48 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,910,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sera View Post
Retreat City-Data House, sorta like a hostel. One of us could own it, a couple permanent residents, work with lawyers to sort out the details. Folks from C-D could come for a while. Communal dinners, away to meet C-D in a safe place, lots of sharing, friendly discussions; this is what this Thread is for me, a safe haven, place to share.

A physical location is only as safe as the people who are present. Now perhaps the half dozen or more people that you are close to on City-Data would be, in fact, "safe". But if you are talking about City-Data in general, it is replete with genuine weirdoes , people who seem to be mentally ill. Or if that description is too strong, then at the very least, many posters appear to be filled with generalized hostility, bitterness, and resentment, and are actually creepy. To be clear, that is not a majority of posters, but it is far from rare and it includes some people who are capable of maintaining their Dr. Jekyll persona for a while before it degenerates into Mr. Hyde.

Over time, say a couple of years, yes, we can usually take the measure of someone else. I have met in person with two City-Data posters, using the venue of a restaurant where we sat down together for a meal. That is pretty safe, I think. In the case of the two posters in question, Curmudgeon and Volosong, I believe any venue would have been "safe", as they are honorable gentlemen in every sense of the word.

Of course you are correct that the internet is a safe haven, provided that we do not divulge too much information which would allow others to identify us personally. I was reacting more to your idea of a hostel which somebody would own and which would serve as a City-Data meeting place. Color me cautious and skeptical about that, even as I understand how cool that would be if only we could trust other people in general.

Old 07-02-2017, 02:49 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,114,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Oh, they're wonderful! Really a fun group and they actually do make a difference around here.

I am depressed today because of all things, my ancient vacuum cleaner has given up the ghost. Right now I can't afford to replace it and my carpets are simply awful. I shouldn't let myself get depressed over something that is fairly trivial in the grand scheme of things, but there you go. I was thinking of sweeping my carpets with a broom? But I don't know if the result would be worth all that effort. I also considered running my rug shampooer over the carpets, but I'm afraid that all the pet hair and dirt and grime would clog up the shampooer and then I'd have two household appliances that are broken instead of one. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?
I am sorry you are feeling depressed, but sometimes it is something like a broken vacuum cleaner that can open that feeling. Especially when today you have no way of fixing the problem.

The only thing I would offer up is I think a broom is your best bet for now until you can either get your cleaner fixed or replaced. Do you know what is wrong with it? A belt broken?

One time I thought my cleaner was "done" and loaded it into my car and took it to a vacuum repair shop. Lo and behold...... the only thing wrong with it was it needed to have the reset button pushed.

Good luck. Till then, use the broom.

Old 07-03-2017, 06:21 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,220,959 times
Colorado Rambler, you should check for a vacuum repair shop. Not so much to fix your own but they usually have a zillion ones that they have fixed, weren't picked up, and are trying to sell. Maybe you can get a good deal within your budget?

Also check sites like freecycle where you can also posted wanteds. Post a wanted free add there and craigslist. Someone may be willing to give you their old one just because they don't want to add to the landfill problem. (Make sure you ask or check for bedbugs)

Old 07-03-2017, 07:22 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,875,803 times
Just realized today I've been retired for 8 years after close to a 40 year career in law enforcement. Not exactly the retirement I had envisioned but at least no one is trying to kill me.

Old 07-03-2017, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Just realized today I've been retired for 8 years after close to a 40 year career in law enforcement. Not exactly the retirement I had envisioned but at least no one is trying to kill me.

Congratulations on those 8 years of retirement.

I think there are more than a few of us here who do not have the retirement they envisioned.

Old 07-03-2017, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Colorado Rambler, you should check for a vacuum repair shop. Not so much to fix your own but they usually have a zillion ones that they have fixed, weren't picked up, and are trying to sell. Maybe you can get a good deal within your budget?

Also check sites like freecycle where you can also posted wanteds. Post a wanted free add there and craigslist. Someone may be willing to give you their old one just because they don't want to add to the landfill problem. (Make sure you ask or check for bedbugs)
Thanks for the ideas! There's also a used appliance store here that I'm going to check out. We have a local "Swap and Shop" that's on Facebook, and I've been checking that for possibilities, as well. Meanwhile, I'm just sweeping my carpets with a broom - what a pain! I'm going thru a low energy phase right now, and I just don't want to deal with it. Plus, I volunteered to make a banana cream pie and potato salad for a 4th of July gathering tomorrow. I may have to go take a nap before I do all that cooking!

Old 07-03-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
My retirement has not been exactly what I envisioned back in the day, either. I never imagined how poor I would be, but I'm managing to get by. I'm glad no one is trying to kill you, at least. We'd miss you here and on the Colorado Forum. Hang in there!

Old 07-03-2017, 12:48 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,875,803 times
SO I went to Walmart today. On a payday, and on the day before July 4th. WHAT WAS I THINKING? OMG, people it's not the apocalypse, your Cheezy Poofs will be there tomorrow. Bumper to bumper traffic, lines at the gas stations and at Safeway a woman had a complete meltdown because she had to wait in line for two minutes.

I am home and staying here. Have ribs, sausage and assorted other goodies for the smoker tomorrow. We're under a burn ban and fireworks ban so hopefully it will be quiet.

Yall have a wonderful Independence Day, America will always stand and always be here no matter what!

Old 07-03-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
SO I went to Walmart today. On a payday, and on the day before July 4th. WHAT WAS I THINKING? OMG, people it's not the apocalypse, your Cheezy Poofs will be there tomorrow. Bumper to bumper traffic, lines at the gas stations and at Safeway a woman had a complete meltdown because she had to wait in line for two minutes.

I am home and staying here. Have ribs, sausage and assorted other goodies for the smoker tomorrow. We're under a burn ban and fireworks ban so hopefully it will be quiet.

Yall have a wonderful Independence Day, America will always stand and always be here no matter what!

Well said!! I've heard too many doomsday stories and wonder where do these people come from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement