Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2014, 08:37 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times

Advertisements

My retired wardrobe is one for all places where Cargo Pants/shorts and a variety of pull overs work along with summer Charlie Harper shirts. North, South, East, West. My taste in cars eclectic as is my food and music. I know it drives some crazy especially no labels politics.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:41 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Janis Joplin was the true independent.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:59 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,910,117 times
Default Dress codes in Southern California

In Southern California we tend to be very laid back about standards of attire. Flexibility rather than rigidity seems to rule.

Personally I am a bit retrograde. If I am working as a classroom teacher, which I still do from time to time, I wear a tie. It's not a requirement, just a personal preference to look professional, as was the custom quite a long time ago. I am even aware that it dates me, as very few male teachers wear ties anymore, but I still prefer it.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:03 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
I have to laugh when in Florida with my common-as-dirt Subaru.
Hardly anybody knows what it is.

Old 07-16-2014, 05:04 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,765,774 times
LOL old_cold only a snowbird would know.

Ani, your long post on fashion makes me wishful, O to be south where people don't dare go out in PJ pants and dirty flip flops........

I go out in a plain RL tee and nice jeans with some nice shoes and I look like the tourists; jaws drop when I'm at the outlets and I answer 'I'm local' when asked where I'm from.

Old 07-16-2014, 05:42 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
LOL old_cold only a snowbird would know.

Ani, your long post on fashion makes me wishful, O to be south where people don't dare go out in PJ pants and dirty flip flops........

I go out in a plain RL tee and nice jeans with some nice shoes and I look like the tourists; jaws drop when I'm at the outlets and I answer 'I'm local' when asked where I'm from.
Oh, trust me. I see more folks in PJ pants and flip flops than anything else - especially when in Charlotte - even in the upscale areas.

To me, a nice tee and good fitting jeans is a classic look.

The other thing I see are folks who think they are emulating Beyonce and Kim K and are wearing all this bling-- and skirts so short they wouldn't dare bend over (surely?) and so tight their butts look like two hams fighting it out under lycra. They take trashy to a wholly new level.

There are less than 30% natives in Charlotte, so folks are from all over. Actually, some of the sharpest dressers are my friends from Long Island who have relocated to the South.

You will see more of the appreciation for style in the outlying small towns, but then - it has always been confined to a group of people, not the entire populace. There were certain things no one would do as they knew it would be considered trashy but all that is out the window.

I used to hear folks say (who didn't understand The Code, lol) that people who wanted to "fit in" were into labels, like wearing all Ralph Lauren or Lacoste (prep stuff). That is far from the truth. When you know classy from trashy you don't have to depend on a label. The physician's wives where I grew up were always the women with the most cash (other than the Trustafarians and a few execs making over $500K) . . . and we all shopped at Goodwill, Thrift Stores, Consignment Shops and Salvation Army -- and got darling things for our kids as well as ourselves. That isn't to say that we didn't make trips to Atlanta and Nordstroms (their stuff on sale is awesome!) . . . but my point is . . . you don't have to stick to labels or spend a hunk of money to look classy.

I bought a (looks new) green linen jacket this past month for $3.95 at the local Goodwill. I found Falconable (Nordstroms brand) all cotton, long sleeved shirts for my son for $3.95.

However, I schlepp around most of the time these days. I like being comfy and since I never see anyone, who cares, lol.

Old 07-16-2014, 06:04 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,757,998 times
When we moved to NY 30 years ago from the Midwest, 50 miles north of NYC, the first thing I noticed was the cars. More BMWs and high end foreign cars than the domestic Ford and Chevys I was used to seeing at that time.

Florida took it to a whole new level, on both ends. Since their is no state inspection there are some real beaters on the road. On the flip side of that, I've seen more exotic cars on the road there, like Jags, Bugattis, Rolls, and cars I have never heard of, but DH knows them all. One morning I went through the drive through at McDonalds to get a coffee and there was a Lotus ahead of me. I thought if I owned a Lotus I would not be getting coffee at McDonalds, but then again if I had a Lotus, McDonalds would be all I could afford.

Old 07-16-2014, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
When we moved to NY 30 years ago from the Midwest, 50 miles north of NYC, the first thing I noticed was the cars. More BMWs and high end foreign cars than the domestic Ford and Chevys I was used to seeing at that time.

Florida took it to a whole new level, on both ends. Since their is no state inspection there are some real beaters on the road. On the flip side of that, I've seen more exotic cars on the road there, like Jags, Bugattis, Rolls, and cars I have never heard of, but DH knows them all. One morning I went through the drive through at McDonalds to get a coffee and there was a Lotus ahead of me. I thought if I owned a Lotus I would not be getting coffee at McDonalds, but then again if I had a Lotus, McDonalds would be all I could afford.
LOL. I guess McD's covers all demographics!!!

Some folks are just into their cars. I am. I love high performance vehicles and have since a teen. A close friend's Dad worked with racing teams -- customizing vehicles. Her Dad would do modifications on a car and let her have it for six months or so - then sell it. So I was riding around in style, lol. It was a lot of fun, a good conversation starter with other car afficionados, and fun racing on back roads (yes, I did that. My parents would have stroked out).

Maybe it is the back roads . . . not sure . . . but NC is full of folks who love their cars, love to race, love to watch racing.

Old 07-16-2014, 06:58 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,757,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
LOL. I guess McD's covers all demographics!!!

Some folks are just into their cars. I am. I love high performance vehicles and have since a teen. A close friend's Dad worked with racing teams -- customizing vehicles. Her Dad would do modifications on a car and let her have it for six months or so - then sell it. So I was riding around in style, lol. It was a lot of fun, a good conversation starter with other car afficionados, and fun racing on back roads (yes, I did that. My parents would have stroked out).

Maybe it is the back roads . . . not sure . . . but NC is full of folks who love their cars, love to race, love to watch racing.
I'm not a gear head, but some cars definitely elevate my heart rate.

Driving to meet a friend yesterday, I was behind a car with a plate that read "FIDDL DD". That was very appropriate for his driving style.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
I'm not a gear head, but some cars definitely elevate my heart rate.

Driving to meet a friend yesterday, I was behind a car with a plate that read "FIDDL DD". That was very appropriate for his driving style.
HEE HEE!!! Love that license plate!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement