Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2013, 05:06 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,995,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Well, I wear 50 lbs. of clothes~~~~and that's when I'm inside a heated house.
I wear CuddleDuds (nice long underwear for women) day and night. I have 5 pair, one of the best investments ever for living north.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:54 PM

26,662 posts, read 28,755,132 times
I wear Dog. It keeps you warm at night and it keeps you warm while you are sitting.

Umbria, that jacket is chic////// ooops. It's really nice, nice length and it has that stylish shape to it. I love bargains. I got a few J.Jill summer skirts for something like $10--they're only cotton skirts but that's what I like in summer.

As for retirement being all downhill--I was never in this life for "success" whatever that is. I wanted freedom. I hated working and I always wanted to be in my home and taking care of my garden. I used to miss my cat when I was at work. I guess it must be about what you think is important. It probably is worse for men, on the whole.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:13 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,627,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I'd rather be forty years younger and hit the trail every day. I've been in meetings when I was dead tired because a plane was five hours late. But I knew when I got back to the hotel I could sleep without any problems. I didn't have to worry about taking my pills either. I didn't even think about taking pills unless I' was sick..

Getting old stinks. Talk all you want about how wonderful it is to be retired. All it means is that you're over the hill and in the discard heap. Sleep late and play golf? Wouldn't it be far better to get up early and have no time for golf because you realize you're on the way to success? Why must old people keep kidding themselves? We're at the stage of our lives when all we have in our future is really decrepitude and death.

I remember days when I somehow never had a chance to eat, others when I was too tired to go to a restaurant so I'd go to a hotdog place or KFC, Kentucky Fried Chicken in those days. But I was on the way up.

Now I'm on the way down as is every regular on this forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Well, bah humbug. I'm on the way up now - just thought I was on the way up before. Who's kidding who(m)? Never had time to just be - before. Maybe you need to head back to Chicago?
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Wyoming's astrology chart must be dominated by old man Saturn, lol. And Chicago doesn't need any more negative influences!
I'm not negative, far from it; but I am a realist. Life is not better when we're old. We don't feel better than we did at thirty; our lives aren't as bountiful and joyous. Certainly we are better off living as good a life as possible. But it can never be the life it once was.

It's time to grow up, folks.

On a happier note, you're not too old to learn how to multiple quote.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:23 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,033,108 times
Quote:
I wear CuddleDuds (nice long underwear for women) day and night. I have 5 pair, one of the best investments ever for living north.
Hey! I will have to look into this - I look really stupid when I go out with my dogs - not at all~~chique

Old 01-31-2013, 06:25 PM

Quote:
My friend got the dog. No one claimed him. He already has two dogs and takes good care of them. I feel guilty b/c I didn't post a "dog found" item in the newspaper. I didn't have time, as I was going to VT for several days. I really didn't want whoever owned the dog to get him back I guess. But I should've posted.
Yea

Old 01-31-2013, 06:26 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,995,567 times
Quote:
I'm not negative, far from it; but I am a realist. Life is not better when we're old. We don't feel better than we did at thirty; our lives aren't as bountiful and joyous. Certainly we are better off living as good a life as possible. But it can never be the life it once was.

I'm grown up and I can honestly say I feel better than ever. I had more health problems in my 20s (diverticulitis), 30s (diabetes), 40s and 50s (high blood pressure and immobility due to thrombosis)...than I do now, having gotten beyond all of that, thankfully. I also have a lighter outlook, seem to be more creative artistically, and euphoric to become a grandma this coming month. I have shed pounds and many stresses in retirement. Sure i have less longer to live now than when I was younger, but with all those health problems I might not have made it to today. The life I now have is better for me, for sure.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:38 PM

26,662 posts, read 28,755,132 times
Quote:
I'm grown up and I can honestly say I feel better than ever. I had more health problems in my 20s (diverticulitis), 30s (diabetes), 40s and 50s (high blood pressure and immobility due to thrombosis)...than I do now, having gotten beyond all of that, thankfully. I also have a lighter outlook, seem to be more creative artistically, and euphoric to become a grandma this coming month. I have shed pounds and many stresses in retirement. Sure i have less longer to live now than when I was younger, but with all those health problems I might not have made it to today. The life I now have is better for me, for sure.
A lot of it is about health and how we feel. Also, having more time to take good care of ourselves.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:01 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,571,155 times
Quote:

On a happier note, you're not too old to learn how to multiple quote.
Oh, I don't know. Life is very different for me now than it was 20 or 30 years ago, but I don't think my life now is less enjoyable or bountiful.

I have reinvented myself, in many ways, every decade or so -- it has been a journey rather than a destination, with my career as well as my relationships.

I have had some health problems since the day I was born, so I can't say I ever felt that much better, physically, than I do now.

I am working on a mixed media series of art pieces, and I am so excited about my plans. It may suck, (I may fail!) but it is going to be great fun attempting what I have in mind. At this stage of life, I don't have to do what others expect me to do--no one really cares what I do, lol. I have already proven myself professionally, so it is now a matter of just pleasing myself.

I see life as being as limited as I allow it to be, choose for it to be. But then, very little that means a lot to me depends on $$$ -- I might feel differently if the things I want to accomplish depended on funds I don't have.

I don't like the sags and bags that go along with aging, but I am making peace with those things, too. I like the idea of being a wise woman in my tribe, and only time, experience and yes--growing older--allows me the honor of being a mentor and guide.

So it doesn't seem so bad to me (the trade offs).

Better to embrace the changes.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:02 PM

Quote:
I'd rather be forty years younger and hit the trail every day. I've been in meetings when I was dead tired because a plane was five hours late. But I knew when I got back to the hotel I could sleep without any problems. I didn't have to worry about taking my pills either. I didn't even think about taking pills unless I' was sick..

Getting old stinks. Talk all you want about how wonderful it is to be retired. All it means is that you're over the hill and in the discard heap. Sleep late and play golf? Wouldn't it be far better to get up early and have no time for golf because you realize you're on the way to success? Why must old people keep kidding themselves? We're at the stage of our lives when all we have in our future is really decrepitude and death.

I remember days when I somehow never had a chance to eat, others when I was too tired to go to a restaurant so I'd go to a hotdog place or KFC, Kentucky Fried Chicken in those days. But I was on the way up.

Now I'm on the way down as is every regular on this forum.
I had a nightmare the other night. Dreamed I had to give a project presentation to the big wigs - ya know the ones - where 1/3 of the group has this silly supportive grin on their faces, 1/3 has that perpetual look of disapproval and the other 1/3 is mentally playing golf or some other fun thing. Only I had fallen asleep and didn't prepare - at all. No way to reschedule and had to wing it - horrible dream - especially when the grinners got that look of disapproval as well (BTW - this never actually happened). Do I miss any of that Egads - no.

Now Wyoming - what's with the "grow up"? It sounds like you were very successful at your job and felt very rewarded. That's a good thing. Perhaps you need to find something that will give you that same feeling. Only you know what that might be. Do you have a lady friend? Do you want one? If you do, have you tried the online dating thing?

For kicks I gave it a short trial - I didn't buy a subscription because I was just curious as to what was out there. To my surprise, there are some really nice men doing this online dating thing, most are divorced and some widowed. Surprisingly, many are professionals. Got a few winks and some emails. Now I feel bad because my mission is to get out of here and on to my next destination and dating a bunch of strangers just doesn't excite me. Someone needs to give me a kick in the hiney. At least I know what to do when I finally land elsewhere. Wyoming - you might try doing the same thing. Could be interesting.

I do think men have a harder time letting go of their work lives. Their jobs become their identities.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Oh, I don't know. Life is very different for me now than it was 20 or 30 years ago, but I don't think my life now is less enjoyable or bountiful.

I have reinvented myself, in many ways, every decade or so -- it has been a journey rather than a destination, with my career as well as my relationships.

I have had some health problems since the day I was born, so I can't say I ever felt that much better, physically, than I do now.

I am working on a mixed media series of art pieces, and I am so excited about my plans. It may suck, (I may fail!) but it is going to be great fun attempting what I have in mind. At this stage of life, I don't have to do what others expect me to do--no one really cares what I do, lol. I have already proven myself professionally, so it is now a matter of just pleasing myself.

I see life as being as limited as I allow it to be, choose for it to be. But then, very little that means a lot to me depends on $$$ -- I might feel differently if the things I want to accomplish depended on funds I don't have.

I don't like the sags and bags that go along with aging, but I am making peace with those things, too. I like the idea of being a wise woman in my tribe, and only time, experience and yes--growing older--allows me the honor of being a mentor and guide.

So it doesn't seem so bad to me (the trade offs).

Better to embrace the changes.
Love your attitude
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement