Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2013, 11:40 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,029,254 times

Advertisements

Yep - like today, there's like a -35F wind chill out there Did I have to worry about the car starting (I usually don't anyway since I have a garage)- nope. I didn't have to worry about it starting at the end of another 10 hr. day either.

I did just get a flyer on my door - someone lost a cat - in this weather. I hope that kitty goes home - or comes here. "Chloe~~~ here kitty ~~I have a down jacket for you." My cat must know Chloe cuz she's staring at the flyer on the frig.

Since this is the Chat thread I just have to share my latest deal with you (and to keep up with Ani's image ()). I got a Calvin Kein ski jacket that regularly sold for $300.00 for~~~~(drum roll) ~~~$90.00! Ha!! Love it - it's down filled but still fitted so it looks very~chic. It has 4 "hidden" pockets for the cell phone and other things. What a deal. Love this time of year for that stuff.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:43 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,549,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Yep - like today, there's like a -35F wind chill out there Did I have to worry about the car starting (I usually don't anyway since I have a garage)- nope. I didn't have to worry about it starting at the end of another 10 hr. day either.

I did just get a flyer on my door - someone lost a cat - in this weather. I hope that kitty goes home - or comes here. "Chloe~~~ here kitty ~~I have a down jacket for you." My cat must know Chloe cuz she's staring at the flyer on the frig.

Since this is the Chat thread I just have to share my latest deal with you (and to keep up with Ani's image ()). I got a Calvin Kein ski jacket that regularly sold for $300.00 for~~~~(drum roll) ~~~$90.00! Ha!! Love it - it's down filled but still fitted so it looks very~chic. It has 4 "hidden" pockets for the cell phone and other things. What a deal. Love this time of year for that stuff.
I am looking for a new ski jacket! Mine is 7 years old and too small!

Your new jacket sounds wonderful.

And yes, CHIC! lololololol

Old 01-31-2013, 12:15 PM

Ani - I bought mine online @ Herbergers.com

It's a local store here, much like Macys, with great deals right now. There are other real cute ones - cheap

Product: Calvin Klein Performance Premium Faux Fur Hooded Down Jacket

This is mine - I got the red one. Looks like it's back up to 120.00 now. They have special promotions frequently - I had a $25.00 off coupon recently (provided by them online).

It's a good store and the jacket is top quality.

FYI - I got a medium cuz well- I live in MN and wear like 2 sweatshirts/or 1 bulky sweater under it. The fit is perfect

Last edited by Umbria; 01-31-2013 at 12:24 PM..

Old 01-31-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Ani - I bought mine online @ Herbergers.com

It's a local store here, much like Macys, with great deals right now. There are other real cute ones - cheap

Product: Calvin Klein Performance Premium Faux Fur Hooded Down Jacket

This is mine - I got the red one. Looks like it's back up to 120.00 now. They have special promotions frequently - I had a $25.00 off coupon recently (provided by them online).

It's a good store and the jacket is top quality.

FYI - I got a medium cuz well- I live in MN and wear like 2 sweatshirts/or 1 bulky sweater under it. The fit is perfect
Going to check it out right now! I love ordering stuff online . . . I was a catalog junkie b/f we had the internet! Were you? Everything from LL Bean to Vermont Country Store to Spiegel . . . loved seeing a new catalog in the mail . . .

Thank you so much for the link!

Old 01-31-2013, 01:07 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,109,207 times
I was such a catalog junkie. I always used to have a stack of them to thumb through while the family was watching football. Boy I miss those days--internet shopping is fun but there was something about thumbing through those catalogs that I loved.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I was such a catalog junkie. I always used to have a stack of them to thumb through while the family was watching football. Boy I miss those days--internet shopping is fun but there was something about thumbing through those catalogs that I loved.
I miss them, too! It is not the same experience (shopping online). I liked marking pages, going back to them . . .

I do use my iPad for such things but the pictures are so tiny (and even if i can make them bigger it is still not the same as having a piece of paper in my hand).

Plus, I would cut out pictures (or tear out a page) and make files . . . yes, I can make a file on my computer - and I could even print things out, I suppose . . . but it isn't the same!

Old 01-31-2013, 01:51 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,619,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
You know, that's one of the best perks of retirement---being able to go at your own pace. If you had a bad night, you can rest all day and not have to get dressed up and go to work, sit through meetings, try to act normal when you feel like you-know-what.

You can even stay home when you're sick! Amazing! Eat when you're hungry! Have time to cook from scratch! Finally, a healthy lifestyle.
I'd rather be forty years younger and hit the trail every day. I've been in meetings when I was dead tired because a plane was five hours late. But I knew when I got back to the hotel I could sleep without any problems. I didn't have to worry about taking my pills either. I didn't even think about taking pills unless I' was sick..

Getting old stinks. Talk all you want about how wonderful it is to be retired. All it means is that you're over the hill and in the discard heap. Sleep late and play golf? Wouldn't it be far better to get up early and have no time for golf because you realize you're on the way to success? Why must old people keep kidding themselves? We're at the stage of our lives when all we have in our future is really decrepitude and death.

I remember days when I somehow never had a chance to eat, others when I was too tired to go to a restaurant so I'd go to a hotdog place or KFC, Kentucky Fried Chicken in those days. But I was on the way up.

Now I'm on the way down as is every regular on this forum.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I'd rather be forty years younger and hit the trail every day. I've been in meetings when I was dead tired because a plane was five hours late. But I knew when I got back to the hotel I could sleep without any problems. I didn't have to worry about taking my pills either. I didn't even think about taking pills unless I' was sick..

Getting old stinks. Talk all you want about how wonderful it is to be retired. All it means is that you're over the hill and in the discard heap. Sleep late and play golf? Wouldn't it be far better to get up early and have no time for golf because you realize you're on the way to success? Why must old people keep kidding themselves? We're at the stage of our lives when all we have in our future is really decrepitude and death.

I remember days when I somehow never had a chance to eat, others when I was too tired to go to a restaurant so I'd go to a hotdog place or KFC, Kentucky Fried Chicken in those days. But I was on the way up.

Well, bah humbug. I'm on the way up now - just thought I was on the way up before. Who's kidding who(m)? Never had time to just be - before. Maybe you need to head back to Chicago?

Old 01-31-2013, 05:01 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,988,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming

Well, bah humbug. I'm on the way up now - just thought I was on the way up before. Who's kidding who(m)? Never had time to just be - before. Maybe you need to head back to Chicago?

Quote:

Wyoming's astrology chart must be dominated by old man Saturn, lol. And Chicago doesn't need any more negative influences!

Last edited by RiverBird; 01-31-2013 at 05:10 PM..

Old 01-31-2013, 05:04 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,988,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
re: the dog situation

I called the shelter today and asked about the dog I brought in. They said that because the dog was a stray they have to wait some number of days in case the owner claims him. After that they put him up for official adoption, posting his mug shot online and a description. They will take advance applications without a deposit. My NC friend will go to the shelter when he gets back Sat., there's a good chance he may want him. I'm rather praying that the owners whoever they are do not make contact. They should be charged criminally for allowing a dog out on a night like that (near 0 degrees) without any kind of ID. I've seen him loose on the street before and my heart went out to him. At least now he's warm and fed and this shelter is committed to adoptions, there is a high adoption rate so he will be placed in hopefully a warm and loving home.
My friend got the dog. No one claimed him. He already has two dogs and takes good care of them. I feel guilty b/c I didn't post a "dog found" item in the newspaper. I didn't have time, as I was going to VT for several days. I really didn't want whoever owned the dog to get him back I guess. But I should've posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement