Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2015, 12:39 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokensky View Post
Have you all seen this? I wish I had known about this method for clearing a pathway in the snow when I lived in Kansas!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNdUAatXLY4
Yes! That works well when the snow is wet and sticky. The snow we have now is the dry fluffy type and much deeper than that. Hubs put two boards down today and made it out to the car. It wouldn't start, of course, since it had been sitting there too long but he had a battery charger. He was able to drive to Home Depot and get some more Ice-Melt.

What would work even better would be to move away from here.

Old 02-12-2015, 01:31 AM

7,046 posts, read 6,298,150 times
In_new England, all of us say that every year & then comes spring & we forgive mother nature. I think that's why its so hard for some of us to move. It's why I want to wait a years& make sure because it sure is beautiful here & I'm sure it's just as beautiful where you are.

Old 02-12-2015, 01:41 AM

7,046 posts, read 6,298,150 times
Gads, my sentences are terrible; all those sures. Forgive me. Our carrier just told us that the reason we're using so much of our use age minutes or whatever it is, it's data usage that is draining. So I am staying up til after 2am as we have free minutes from 2am til 8am. So, even though I sleep in, I'm still tired by 2. So bear with me as I couldn't live well without all of you.

Old 02-12-2015, 07:43 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,665,169 times
Years ago, when I knew it was going to be extremely cold, I brought my car battery indoors.

Of course, now, I can neither open the hood nor lift the battery, but thankfully, I don't need to go anywhere.

I have a son in Massachusetts. They post pictures. I truly feel your pain. Summers here are miserable but I could not manage there. I visit Maine and love it there in the summer but I am not tempted to move. Also, I have lived in two places at once, and then my husband died and I had double the stuff to deal with, so I don't want to snowbird. I am too old to wrangle an RV.

I'm in the wrong thread, aren't I

Old 02-12-2015, 09:01 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie'smom View Post
Years ago, when I knew it was going to be extremely cold, I brought my car battery indoors.

Of course, now, I can neither open the hood nor lift the battery, but thankfully, I don't need to go anywhere.

I have a son in Massachusetts. They post pictures. I truly feel your pain. Summers here are miserable but I could not manage there. I visit Maine and love it there in the summer but I am not tempted to move. Also, I have lived in two places at once, and then my husband died and I had double the stuff to deal with, so I don't want to snowbird. I am too old to wrangle an RV.

I'm in the wrong thread, aren't I
Nope. The weather affects us differently when we are older.

I said I would never leave but as I get older I am imagining that if I had to choose, I would take the heat and just stay in a/c all summer. When I was younger I wanted to be active all the time. When you are older you may end up sitting in a chair inside most of the day anyway, whether you want to or not. If I get stuck sitting inside all day, I'd rather be in a place where it's bright and sunny and I can see flowers and greenery rather than gray. I'd rather be somewhere that makes it possible to get to a store or a doctor when necessary and not worry that ice and snow will make it impossible.

Of course for those who still have family, it would be different. If I had family here, I'd stay.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:11 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
FWIW, some of you might find this interesting:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

In the late "thirties" (1939 and into 1940 & 1941) my dad had a job that required he wear a business suit every day, and he was "rough on his clothes". So about every 6 to 9 months he would take me (age 8-9 or so) with him and we'd go down to Maxwell Street in Chicago. There was an old Wearhouse that had no sign on it, just totally plain front end and no windows that you could see through, but one front door with a big "knocker" on it. Dad would use the knocker and some guy would come to the door, ask my Dad his name and "number", he'd look in a large Ledger Type book, ck the info and say "OK"..

We'd walk over to the "Elevator" (very old Cage Type), get in, use the big lever to close the door, AND THEN, use the "ENDLESS CHAIN_HOIST" to raise the elevator to the 2nd and/or 3rd floor.

2nd floor had racks and racks and racks and racks of SUMMER WEIGHT suits.

The 3rd floor had racks and racks and racks and racks of WINTER WEIGHT suits.

No sales people, no tags in the suits, just the size info. You chose what you wanted, tried the suit(s) on in a "make-shift" room, put them in a Brown Paper Shoping Bag, went back down to the ground floor, paid cash to the guy who had opened the door and you left. No "small talk" or anything else.........just an "all-business" transaction!!!

Oh Yea, almost forgot: The price: $10.00 each...(and the quality was as good or better than Botany 500!).
As Archie and Edith sang, "Those were the days."

For you, NEG, that's from the TV show, All in the Family.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:11 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,422,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Our carrier just told us that the reason we're using so much of our use age minutes or whatever it is, it's data usage that is draining. So I am staying up til after 2am as we have free minutes from 2am til 8am.
Data and minutes are two different things. Minutes refer to phone calls made and received (yep, they get you coming and going).

Data refers to sending/receiving emails, viewing websites, posting to Facebook, watching videos, and apps.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:46 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Here's my survival tip of the day. When you're expecting a particularly cold night or day and have concerns about your car's starting run an extension cord from your house out to the car. Plug a trouble light into the cord with a hundred watt bulb. Put the light under the hood. It will raise the temperature under the hood even in high wind.

There are radiator heaters available; there used to be dip stick heaters as well, but I haven't heard of them in years.

Then there's the old stand by of parking on a hill, nose downward.

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 02-12-2015 at 12:54 PM..

Old 02-12-2015, 11:49 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
As Archie and Edith sang, "Those were the days."

For you, NEG, that's from the TV show, All in the Family.
Ya know, I missed Archie and Edith too. I guess I really was over my head in work. So I looked it up, and I sound (when singing) just like Edith! Oh no!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXBm9GGyM2A

Old 02-12-2015, 11:54 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
In_new England, all of us say that every year & then comes spring & we forgive mother nature. I think that's why its so hard for some of us to move. It's why I want to wait a years& make sure because it sure is beautiful here & I'm sure it's just as beautiful where you are.
Many of us are getting close to saying "beautiful" doesn't cut it anymore. Living in the North is kind of like perpetually giving birth; at birth (i.e., birth of spring) you're in such bliss that you totally forget the miseries of pregnancy and labor. Short-lived! Winter rolls around like clockwork.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement