Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2011, 11:57 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,404,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
There is subsidized housing in small towns too.

When your application gets near the top of the waiting list they do a CORI on you and they check your bank accounts and assets. That's about it. The hardest part is the long wait to get in.
Are you saying that income is not investigated? No, what they look at is your income to qualify for Sec. 8 housing or any housing tied to the federal poverty level. Assets and bank accounts are not of a concern in many of these type of federal funded housing. In some other programs of assistance, including housing, assets and bank accounts will be taken in account but also the main issue of income. Income is always the issue that is the main qualifier. Income always includes federal required reported income as interest/dividends or other income, but not the amounts of assets in these cases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 12:23 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
One of the big issues I have with many of these subsidized housing rentals, or just many rentals, is that there are no washer/dryers machines or hookups in the individual units. There is only washer/dryers that are for common use.

I have not rented for about 32 yrs. and I like to have my own washer/dryer. I do not have the patience/energy, and I have difficulty walking, to go down the hall and for my laundry. I have only gone to a laundromat rarely when I traveled. I have had enough of laundry rooms in college and the army and as a renter. In addition, I am allergic to cats and cat hair gets stuck in these machines.

I do many other tasks when I do laundry and it is convenient to have it in my home. I know you can buy these mini-washer/dryers and hook them to the sink. They seem just too small for my big laundry. Most subsidized units are small and there not much room, to be moving machines.

I assume that some newer subsidized and other apartments have washer/dryer hookups in the units. That will be the ones that I want. However, I bet the demand would be much greater for the new subsidized units.
The laundry is the biggest problem. In my state, you are not allowed to have a washer in your apartment, not even a mini washer. So it becomes a real pain--as you said, wasted time going back and forth to the on site laundromat, carrying your soap, laundry, keys, coins. Even the idea of washing my clothing in with the clothing of strangers and of people who use all kinds of scented laundry products to which I am allergic. You can't do your laundry at night and you can't do it very well on rainy days or in winter. There's the added fear of slipping on ice or snow in winter. It's miserable, the worst part of subsidized housing. I really don't think it's fair to make older people go through all of this just to wash their clothes.

Ironically, the apartments have all kinds of cords to pull for safety and bars to hang onto, they have annual inspections to make sure you don't have anything too close to a door or a window -- all for safety--and YET they allow this dangerous hardship of making people carry heavy laundry up and down stairs and out to the laundromat in all kinds of weather. If you want a washing machine, you probably need to stay away from subsidized housing.

Old 10-17-2011, 02:17 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
The laundry is the biggest problem. In my state, you are not allowed to have a washer in your apartment, not even a mini washer. So it becomes a real pain--as you said, wasted time going back and forth to the on site laundromat, carrying your soap, laundry, keys, coins. Even the idea of washing my clothing in with the clothing of strangers and of people who use all kinds of scented laundry products to which I am allergic. You can't do your laundry at night and you can't do it very well on rainy days or in winter. There's the added fear of slipping on ice or snow in winter. It's miserable, the worst part of subsidized housing. I really don't think it's fair to make older people go through all of this just to wash their clothes.

Ironically, the apartments have all kinds of cords to pull for safety and bars to hang onto, they have annual inspections to make sure you don't have anything too close to a door or a window -- all for safety--and YET they allow this dangerous hardship of making people carry heavy laundry up and down stairs and out to the laundromat in all kinds of weather. If you want a washing machine, you probably need to stay away from subsidized housing.
What! People wash their togs by machine now? What ever happened ta wash basins, scrub boards an' homemade lye soap? Y'all's spoiled!

Old 10-17-2011, 02:43 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
What! People wash their togs by machine now? What ever happened ta wash basins, scrub boards an' homemade lye soap? Y'all's spoiled!
Curmug, that's pretty much what they do in subsidized housing! You are so right. It's way better than sharing the yucky washing machines and toting laundry across the road. There's something even newer though--you take a large rock and pound your laundry clean in a river. I think this is the coming thing for seniors in subsidized housing!

BTW, yes, of course they check income along with other things to make sure you're eligible. Your SS check, your bank account for deposits, your pensions. I think the income limit in my state is about $45,000 but I'm not exactly sure. That amount of income makes you just a little too poor to buy anything or rent a decent place and have much left over. Unfortunately there's not much in between that you can afford. If you work they will want four consecutive paychecks but it doesn't pay to work because they just raise your rent--calculated from your gross, not your net.

Old 10-17-2011, 03:21 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Curmug, that's pretty much what they do in subsidized housing!
This might tie in with that other thread about older folks wearing dirty clothes.
Hand wash the what-nots in the sink and let the rest go.

Old 10-17-2011, 03:33 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,910,117 times
Default How can this be true?

Quote:
I think the income limit in my state is about $45,000 but I'm not exactly sure. That amount of income makes you just a little too poor to buy anything or rent a decent place and have much left over. Unfortunately there's not much in between that you can afford. If you work they will want four consecutive paychecks but it doesn't pay to work because they just raise your rent--calculated from your gross, not your net.
It is astounding that the limit could be that high; $45,000 is just barely below the median family income in this country. At that income, you can rent a decent, though not lavish place in most areas. The second sentence I bolded is what's wrong with this country; welfare is so lavish it doesn't pay to work.

Old 10-17-2011, 03:51 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Quote:
I think the income limit in my state is about $45,000 but I'm not exactly sure. That amount of income makes you just a little too poor to buy anything or rent a decent place and have much left over. Unfortunately there's not much in between that you can afford. If you work they will want four consecutive paychecks but it doesn't pay to work because they just raise your rent--calculated from your gross, not your net.
Most working people are paying 1/3 their income for their housing these days, whether they rent or own (total costs). Owners do better, but then there's the upkeep and repairs, and groundswork.

As for renters...One-third of $45K, even knocking off the income tax, puts the 1/3 rent at about $1,000/month. Most places outside major desirable areas offer an abundance of rentals for that amount. Some places even include utilities for that amount of rent.

If $45K is the allowable limit, it looks like there could be a run on subsidized housing in places. I wonder if that amount is only in more pricey areas?

Old 10-17-2011, 04:26 PM

What Curmudgeon bought his DW for her birthday:

Click image for larger version

Name:	wash day.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	86172

Maybe this can be hooked up in a senior apartment?

(I actually think it's rather cool)

Old 10-17-2011, 04:46 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,404,810 times
The applicable regulations for Section 8 housing is codified at 24 CFR Part 982. This will answer your questions and may confuse you further but this is the law:

2000 CFR Title 21, Volume 5

You will notice that the income qualifications depends on the determination done by the local PHA (Public Housing Authority) per HUD regulations. Obviously the cost to live varies in different areas so income qualifications are different.

Again, I have said it is all based on income. Collection of all other information about assets and bank accounts is to verify income. I have found no reference in the code that would indicate asset limits eligibility. 982.201 addresses eligibility and just indicates income as the determining factor
http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-...=2000&TYPE=PDF

Income that is included and is excluded is explained clearly by this:
http://www.hud.gov/offices/cpd/affor...ions/part5.cfm

This is brief explanation of the program from HUD
http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?...gram_section_8

In addition there are specific programs that address very low income and persons with disability. I need to do further research on that issue.

Have fun reading all this. I found it to be very interesting.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 10-17-2011 at 04:59 PM..

Old 10-17-2011, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post

Again, I have said it is all based on income. Collection of all other information about assets and bank accounts is to verify income. I have found no reference in the code that would indicate asset limits eligibility. 982.201 addresses eligibility and just indicates income as the determining factor
http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-...=2000&TYPE=PDF
Livecontent
In my readings I have found the same thing. Of course, if one's income from one's assets is really high, that may kick the applicant off eligibility. It's also important to understand that the income limit (ceiling) is not one figure across the board; what I am seeing are income ceilings all over the place. They vary considerably from one housing complex to another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement