Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2011, 06:08 PM

48 posts, read 44,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
This thread is really frustrating to me. When I took statins for four days I ended up in Urgent Care totally zoned out and my muscles just felt disconnected. The doctor told me to never take another statin again but my primary care doctors claimed they couldn't find the report and continued to push the cholesterol drugs. At times I have laid in bed clingling to my pillow too zoned out to move and just hoping my brain would recover. Other times I have had chest pain or become uncoordinated and had difficulty speaking. My neighbor is an emergency room drug overdose nurse and tells me about people being medivaced in with liver/kidney problems because of statins. I asked another nurse who would be responsible for my care if I took prescribed meds and they caused severe damage; totally my problem, of course.

My blood pressure is usually very low. But, one day while waiting for my husband at the clinic, I started feeling pretty bad. Seems I had gone too long since breakfast but didn't feel hungry. My blood pressure was very high until I had a few crackers at the clinic. That was documented by the nurse. Food effects my blood pressure but I'm no doctor.

The doctor has pushed me so hard about the drugs that now I don't tell them things I probably should like shortness of breath when riding my bike. I have always been sensitive to things like alcohol, even caffeine and sugar. Now that I'm in my 60's and the pharmaceutical companies want to sell me drugs, I find I am more sensitive than I ever knew.

Dr. Oz did a segment on the relationship between the pharmaceutical companies and doctors a few months ago which confirmed what I had suspected. Patient think for yourself.
They really do push the drugs, partly because they believe they are good for your health, and partly the influence of the drug companies. These chemicals do not promote or restore health -- they interfere with the body's normal functioning. If at all possible, it is better to find the cause of the disease and correct the problem. But it's easier to just give everyone the same chemicals.

Statins lower cholesterol, but lowering cholesterol does not cure artery disease. Most of the time, it is related to lifestyle.

Also, they have decided to give statins to everyone whose cholesterol is above a certain limit, whether or not they have artery disease. Cholesterol naturally rises with age, and it might actually be beneficial.

I think the pushers of statins have mostly good intentions, but are misinformed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 06:19 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
This thread is really frustrating to me. When I took statins for four days I ended up in Urgent Care totally zoned out and my muscles just felt disconnected. The doctor told me to never take another statin again but my primary care doctors claimed they couldn't find the report and continued to push the cholesterol drugs. At times I have laid in bed clingling to my pillow too zoned out to move and just hoping my brain would recover. Other times I have had chest pain or become uncoordinated and had difficulty speaking.
If you know that you have a bad reaction to the medication why on earth would you continue to take it? That just doesn't make sense. This is how people DIE because they do what their doctors tell them blindly, without thinking about it.

throw that crap away.

20yrsinbranson

Old 11-11-2011, 06:45 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,670,347 times
See post #8 on this thread.

Old 11-11-2011, 06:59 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
I respect your opinion, and I have laughed at my share of jokes like: "MD stands for Major Deity". However, I would appreciate you at least considering the following in your perspective. A good doctor could be one of God's messengers.
I'm sure some of them are.

Let me make something clear, though. I have nothing against doctors. Most I know, or know of, are dedicated, hard-working professionals who would never knowingly do something to harm a patient. They have the best of intentions, but they are products of medical schools, which are too often too closely linked to pharmaceutical companies. The young doctors coming out can only doctor the way they've been trained to doctor and these days, that means what I think is an over-reliance on drugs.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:01 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird52 View Post
They really do push the drugs, partly because they believe they are good for your health, and partly the influence of the drug companies. These chemicals do not promote or restore health -- they interfere with the body's normal functioning. If at all possible, it is better to find the cause of the disease and correct the problem. But it's easier to just give everyone the same chemicals.

Statins lower cholesterol, but lowering cholesterol does not cure artery disease. Most of the time, it is related to lifestyle.

Also, they have decided to give statins to everyone whose cholesterol is above a certain limit, whether or not they have artery disease. Cholesterol naturally rises with age, and it might actually be beneficial.

I think the pushers of statins have mostly good intentions, but are misinformed.
Don't forget that medicine is a service industry. They service their patients and, it too many cases, it is the patient's themselves demanding a magic pill, a quick fix for what ails them.

Old 11-11-2011, 08:17 PM

7,127 posts, read 12,670,656 times
Robyn, it was diagnosed as diverticulitis--an infected pouch, lower pain, left side, I was put on antibiotics and did not have to go to hospital or have part of my colon removed--it was rather less acute than that...but painful...a bland "white" diet of boring foods for a while.

I found my IBS, if that's what it was, went away when I removed cow's milk and most especially, butter, from my diet. I cannot take butter or other high fat foods from animal sources without paying a price. Olive oil is fine. Each of us has our own Achilles heels, it seems, when it comes to trigger foods. By trial and error, I've learned to avoid those that set me off.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:17 PM

229 posts, read 206,916 times
With all the money earned from bloated medicine and money spent researching them you'd think there would be more cures than treatments. Messed up system set up to get all your money.

Old 11-12-2011, 12:31 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
I'm one of the lucky folks. I'm not 'on' anything. I do take vitamins and an aspirin every day. I hope it stays that way for a while!

Old 11-12-2011, 08:04 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
I cannot take statins for my high cholesterol (200) due to the muscle pain. Diet has no effect either and I am not overweight so it must be hereditary although neither of my parents had high cholesterol. Both of my sisters have it--go figure.

For a while I took fish oil, red yeast rice, Q-10, and oatmeal everyday and my cholesterol went to normal! My dr had put me on the fish oil, I had spoken to people who got results from red yeast rice when I went to hear a dr speak on high cholesterol, the Q-10 is to replenish what you lose from being on a statin (RY rice is a natural statin), and it's all over the tv that oatmeal is good for cholesterol so I don't know which one or combination thereof made the difference.

I need to get on those products again but I'm waiting until my physical next month to see if there's been a big difference.

I saw krill oil mentioned on here and I think I'll substitute that for the fish oil because I'm reading negative things about fish oil lately. No, I don't believe everything I read but I do research it through reputable sources. I also take a quality multiple vitamin and my calcium/magnesium/vitamin D tablets.

I was also taking milk thistle for the liver but have lapsed on that too. A dr a long time ago recommended it for everyone since we are all exposed to pollution and it's hard to avoid ALL chemicals and junk in the food. Plus whatever is in the prescriptions that we take off and on. I noticed a long time ago when taking my Ex to the VA hospital, it is recommended there too but of course, many of the patients have liver damage from alcohol to begin with.

Old 11-12-2011, 10:49 AM

25,580 posts, read 56,488,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I cannot take statins for my high cholesterol (200) due to the muscle pain.

For a while I took fish oil, red yeast rice, Q-10, and oatmeal everyday and my cholesterol went to normal!
If your cholesterol is only 200, imo that is not particularly elevated. As others have stated, inflammation causes plaque buildup, not cholesterol. Fish oil and Vitamin C are good for that. I always takes fish oil, CoQ10 (a must) because it has many, many other benefits such a soft tissue support for the heart, gums, lungs. Everyone should take CoQ10.

Tried red yeast rice, low dose. After only TWO DAYS I got serious muscle cramping, etc. Red yeast rice is used to make statins. Statins break down muscle. At my age, I need all the muscle I can get. We are fighting muscle breakdown anyway due to age, why make accelerate the problem? Brother-in-law said same thing happened to him. So, red yeast rice does NOT work for us. Oatmeal, avocado, fish oil, high fiber diet, oatbran (more fiber) in shakes and things all help control cholesterol. I should take Milk Thistle because I do have a very sensitive liver. Tried it for a while but didn't notice a benefit, so haven't added it to my arsenal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement