Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2011, 05:34 PM

419 posts, read 758,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I've given up the quest for ideal weather in favor of being near people I can relate to, whether family or not...and affordability (a turnback in time to an era of lower property taxes or rents).

I was thinking as I was walking today how one's personality and lifestyle needs to fit the location...much more than weather. If one is different in any way, moving into a non-transient community of people who have lived there all of their lives (and may not be too tolerant of differences) may be a big mistake. I have run into that in my new "town and gown" community. The college community is educated and open and tolerant with vibrancy; some natives here are suspicious and reserved around those they perceive to have different perspectives or reactions to things. We can move to Paradise weather-wise, but if the residents are not "your kind of folks," we may feel like the odd one out.
I so agree with this statement. It is so important to be around people who share your values & interests. Otherwise, it could be a very lonely existence.

Sun City, AZ the first Del Webb 55+ community opened to the general public 50 yrs. ago. Most of the homes & condos were built in the 1960's & 70's. They are small no frill homes designed for the "greatest generation". Today's residents are snowbirds & year round residents of modest means. Residents hail from all over the US (lots from the Midwest) & Canada and even some from other countries. I am sure that a person would have no trouble finding a few friends out of the 43,000 residents. There is a very active singles club. Hope it's not filled with a bunch of desperate women looking for a man. There is a singles dance every Fri. at one of the facilities sponsored by an outside source. People come from all over the Valley to attend. I had a lot of fun attending singles dances when I was in my mid 30's but don't think I am much interested today. There is even a grandparents club. People can get together and talk to their hearts content about their grandchilden and not have to bore the rest of us. That's a good thing.

Sun City West & Sun City Grand are much newer and more upscale. I have no desire to live in either one of those communities because I do not think the residents are "my kind of folks".

It is amazing how different people are from one community to the next. I know that I would have been very comfortable living in Phoenix. However, I always lived in a surrounding suburb. My jobs were always in Phoenix and I came to regret that I did not move there when given the chance many years ago.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:38 AM

62 posts, read 97,676 times
Default Dealing with Heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
YOUR post brings up some very real concerns of the older, single woman wanting to relocate alone, without a support system. ! I had not considered Sun City as a relocation site but how would you tolerate the summer heat ??
Personally myself I love a colder climate----four seasons etc but I do miss the wonderful growing season of California. Like my cousin in Australia one learns to live around the heat. I was very impressed by a show that featured senior citizens in Sun City vs young people from the UK in a fitness challenge----and the seniors were the winners! I think some communities 55 plus work for some but not everybody.

Old 10-23-2011, 05:56 PM

30,531 posts, read 16,226,596 times
Quote:
I've given up the quest for ideal weather in favor of being near people I can relate to, whether family or not...and affordability (a turnback in time to an era of lower property taxes or rents).

I was thinking as I was walking today how one's personality and lifestyle needs to fit the location...much more than weather. If one is different in any way, moving into a non-transient community of people who have lived there all of their lives (and may not be too tolerant of differences) may be a big mistake. I have run into that in my new "town and gown" community. The college community is educated and open and tolerant with vibrancy; some natives here are suspicious and reserved around those they perceive to have different perspectives or reactions to things. We can move to Paradise weather-wise, but if the residents are not "your kind of folks," we may feel like the odd one out.
I'm with ya on this one! About 15 yrs ago I moved (new job) about 50 miles east of where I'd been. What a difference! Both towns are about the same size and of course same climate but: where I was has a small art museum that has 12 different displays/yr, 6 by local artists including a needlework guild. Also gives classes and has musical performances. Not where I live now. If you want to hear music, go to a local bar (none of which have open mikes) and you can hear old country western music.
Nice small book store there, none here.
Just an overall more creative atmosphere there. I realize that's one reason I like Maine so much.

Probaly won't move to Maine but I can't wait to leave this place.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:43 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBaker View Post
I know that I would have been very comfortable living in Phoenix. However, I always lived in a surrounding suburb. My jobs were always in Phoenix and I came to regret that I did not move there when given the chance many years ago.
People say so many different things about Phoenix--from I love it to I hate it and all the reasons why--that I can't seem to get a handle on what it's really like, esp for seniors, and for women moving there alone. Is it really the same Phoenix today that you remember? Aside from (or including) the weather issues, what would draw you back there today?

Old 10-24-2011, 06:40 AM

205 posts, read 397,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzfroggez View Post
gee - i feel a member of a club - name changes and mri's.....is anyone going to yell at us that we're off topic? i take adderall t

or maybe i should just change my name again and see if i feel any better.....................................

Just had to say that if this were a FB rant (used with the best of meanings), I would definitely click "Like." Reading this took the place of my first cup of coffee!

Old 10-24-2011, 06:45 AM

Quote:
I love this very old thread but when we get this far off the original topic you've all lost me!
This is like having morning coffee with a bunch of really good girlfriends!

Old 10-24-2011, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Seems that used to be the way of this thread, now seems a place, more so, to take a swipe at others for sharing a different experience when once we talked of everything under the sun, even pet care, taking pets to the vet which wasn't on topic either. But I hear those of you that wish to keep it all one dimintional and less like friends sharing in their life experiences. I realize I was off topic, but to me that MRI, was an adventure in my life and I wanted to share with some of my favorite gals. Silly as it may have been, but I couldn't pick up the phone to call the usaual suspects so my first thought was you ladies. This was once a place, that felt like one could ask a select group of, smart, mature, women for insight on anything. I do appoligize for overstepping the dounderies here. Guess it's time, again, like others to bail out of this section of the forum. I do appreciate the wonderful connections I've developed by way of this thread that continue off of this site.

I've found my special place and have enjoyed hearing the many adventures of you ladies. I hope everyone else finds there something/somewhere special.
You can't leave. A thread like this that has been around as long as it has, is a treasure. It's like having a spat with your best ever girlfriend and you think, "That's it. I want a 'divorce.'" But you're still best friends and you get over it (like in the movie "Bridesmaid.")

This thread has been a life saver. It's part of what being a woman; single or not; living alone or not, is. Sometimes we just have to connect with each other. To talk about anything. I found my place to live - for awhile but now I need to find my real place. I have had my adventure trips - and will have more. But sometimes I just tired of figuring out what I want to be when I grow up. I stayed where I was before for ten years because it was easier than moving. I don't want this time to be the same - plus at my age I don't have the time to be such a woose (really don't know how to spell that one).

I want to get off track, I don't want rules. Plus I loved your story about the MRI. My daughter just had to go through one, and I had no idea how intense it was (space wise and the noise!). You helped me to understand what she went through. So for that I say THANK YOU!

So, see? You can't leave. We need you!!!

Old 10-24-2011, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
Have you been to the Millicent Rogers Museum in Taos? We went there for the first time. Great collection of jewelry!

RE: names. I switched back to my maiden name after divorce. After my kids grew up I also changed my first name from "Mom" back to my first name. When I visit my daughter I never answer to Mom because I don't hear it anymore--she always has to say my name to get my attention.
First hardy laugh of the day! I will have to share this with my kids.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:25 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,850,891 times
Default I was thinking as I was walking today how one's personality and lifestyle needs to fit the location...much more than wea

NE Girl, this is so very true and something I have felt but hadn't been able to really put my finger on...you explained it perfectly. Now I can see why some places seem to make "sense" for me to move to, but I know I wouldn't fit in. The south is one of those places...no matter how inexpensive it is, I just know it wouldn't be for me. No offense to anyone who lives anywhere in the south, because I know there are many beautiful places there and lots of people love it. I'm just more of a northern gal...

Old 10-24-2011, 01:40 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,726 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBaker View Post
...important to be around people who share your values & interests. Otherwise, it could be a very lonely existence.
.. thus the last 30+ yr in the PNW HAS been (and continues to be) lonely - due to lack of REAL 'friends'. Congenial, yes; willing to establish a caring relationship; likely not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscot47 View Post
Personally myself I love a colder climate----four seasons etc but I do miss the wonderful growing season of California. Like my cousin in Australia one learns to live around the heat. I was very impressed by a show that featured senior citizens in Sun City vs young people from the UK in a fitness challenge----and the seniors were the winners! I think some communities 55 plus work for some but not everybody.
nowadays... and into the future, there are many other choices of 'senior' retirement locations. Including many in MN (if you are into REALLY COLD and raking leaves today , or watching the groundspeople do so (for a price))..

Just returned from NM not a bad choice... (won't work for me, as I need to be near an airport that directly serves Asia)
Del Webb at Alegria | Active Adult Community Bernalillo NM | Del Webb homes

Alegria by Del Webb Albuquerque NM ? Del Webb Bernalillo New Mexico
(Saw several places near / in Santa Fe)
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
...you explained it perfectly. Now I can see why some places seem to make "sense" for me to move to, but I know I wouldn't fit in. The south is one of those places...no matter how inexpensive it is, I just know it wouldn't be for me. No offense to anyone who lives anywhere in the south, because I know there are many beautiful places there and lots of people love it. I'm just more of a northern gal...
For me it is the Prairie (or mtn states). I don't do humidity. Which makes Asia a particular challenge. (Since I will likely have to move there for Healthcare... Or take medi-vacations as MANY do). I do love the people and the proximity to fun places to visit.( i.e. cheap, accessible shoestring)

RE: Del WEBB, since I 'guest home' travel, I get housed into these (or similar) communities often. Most are pretty well populated with a variety of people and interests, tho the 'stereo-typical' is quite a bit different than me. It can be a challenge for younger retirees (as are most 55+ places), BUT, there are usually plenty of choices and access to outside community. Younger retiree friends I visit most often (Oro Valley, AZ / Del Webb) have a beautiful lot on the tip of a 'peninsula' nearly surrounded by arroyos. No houses closeby (looking out back patio), Mtn ranges in 2 directions. They spend about 30% of social time with residents and 70% in neighboring communities / activities. The old crotchety folks got on their nerves at first, but they have learned to deal with the dynamics and enjoy the amenities (They don't golf, but enjoy having the course available for walking / nature after 5pm). We enjoyed getting this picture as "bobby" comes to visit everyday and get his lunch. This is about 6 ft from the kitchen table (and separated by glass ) http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...obcat-2618.jpg

I often stay with a single gal in Palm Desert Del Webb too, it is a nice 'sunbreak' from PNW during our 285 days of drizzle.

I enjoy the amenities too (especially the pools), but the frequent educational activities and clubs (camera, gardening, hiking) are pretty informative too. It's ez to tolerate if you are just 'visiting'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement