Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2010, 04:30 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelflessGene View Post
Just when I thought there was something I didn't have to worry about. Of course you're right - the logic is inescapable. I've just kind of pushed this to the back of mind while concentrating on more "direct" factors.

As far as "stickies" are concerned: Doesn't this software have some kind of help system? I've looked for it but can't find anything. Some of these icons are more like heiroglyphs. I still don't know how people add comments to their rep increases.

I'm not a woman, am I supposed to be posting here?
Hi Gene, Of course you are welcome to comment here! To make a comment and add to reps, look at the upper right corner of your last message....see the #3840...click on the symbol to the right of it and you can add comments. We have other males comment here...speaking of that, has livecontent visited recently?

Old 10-23-2010, 05:00 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,905,232 times
Default Good question

Quote:
Just when I thought there was something I didn't have to worry about. Of course you're right - the logic is inescapable. I've just kind of pushed this to the back of mind while concentrating on more "direct" factors.
I, too, am a male, and it was to me that you were responding above. That was the first post I had made in this thread (it just seemed germaine to the post I responded to), and I wondered the same thing you did. I certainly do not plan to be a regular here, but I was glad to see the tolerant attitude in response to your question.

Old 10-23-2010, 06:45 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times
Quote:
As far as "stickies" are concerned: Doesn't this software have some kind of help system? I've looked for it but can't find anything. Some of these icons are more like heiroglyphs. I still don't know how people add comments to their rep increases.

Yes, men's comments are welcomed and we have had others. The About Forum FAQs gives a lot of info on various "how to~~~" issues.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:53 PM

291 posts, read 452,259 times
Thumbs up Helpful Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
To make a comment and add to reps, look at the upper right corner of your last message....see the #3840...click on the symbol to the right of it and you can add comments. ... has livecontent visited recently?
In all this time I've never hovered my mouse cursor over those two icons. Now I understand the difference between the quick rep in the lower left corner and the rep with comments. I also know now how easy it is to report an obnoxious post. If I'd known that before I might have thought twice about some of the things I've said.

No, I don't think so. Should I be expecting him/her?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
The About Forum FAQs gives a lot of info on various "how to~~~" issues.
I've just tried to find the FAQs and couldn't. Of course, after I post this I'll probably find it in an embarrassingly obvious place.

Thank you all for the invite and info.

Old 10-24-2010, 12:05 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,403,838 times
I think the thread started with a bunch of women wanting to retire to SOMEWHERE, but we didn't know where....or some of us knew where, but had circumstances that prevented us from actually fulfilling our dreams. It's been interesting to follow everyone's stories, as well as getting info and ideas about many far-flung retirement destinations in the U.S.

Old 10-24-2010, 07:05 AM

Quote:
I've just tried to find the FAQs and couldn't. Of course, after I post this I'll probably find it in an embarrassingly obvious place.

Thank you all for the invite and info.
On the General Forums page where it list all forums (states, misc such as entertainment, auto, community etc...) - way on the bottom where it has Administration you will see the About Forum FAQs.

Old 10-24-2010, 12:18 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
On other threads there's a few gents indicating they may be relocating alone in retirement. The questions and concerns are generally the same as they are for women. LiveContent, as a male, has made many comments, some of which have had a direct influence on my own decisions. Getting all points of view and experience is great on any forum or thread.

Old 10-24-2010, 02:01 PM

915 posts, read 1,625,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
On other threads there's a few gents indicating they may be relocating alone in retirement. The questions and concerns are generally the same as they are for women. LiveContent, as a male, has made many comments, some of which have had a direct influence on my own decisions. Getting all points of view and experience is great on any forum or thread.
i would most certainly agree, mz neg - males are also facing similar retirement questions. but i guess that women still represent a higher percentage of financially-challenged single retirees simply because for several generation our earning power as a whole has been less or subject to more vulnerability. We also live longer and face more years in singlehood even if presently coupled.

the biggest difference i would see in coed-threads, and i say this in love, testosterone friends, is that women "think aloud" in a different way than males and that they "ruminate/reflect endlessly" as they process - for the most part. Not every female but a good many. I'm a major problem solver but I respect process and engage in it myself. But men often like to throw in a solution/an opinion and by god, that's the answer. 'nuff discussion. the dynamics of society have often allowed men to silence women. hope i don't step on toes.

The group I have seen here has been very open about discussing any number of topics and even radically changing course without a lot of fear/apprehension of criticsm. We have all had different stories but certain commonalities flow through the discussions. There is an incredible amount of respect, even in disagreement. Voices are heard. (and we like emoticons)

I would surely hope that the injection of the male thought process doesn't stifle that openess/that willingness to expose our fears/indecision as to "best course" . How do I say - "there are no 'right' answers - there are only opinions". We will meander, we will do 180's, and we will laugh at ourselves along the way. and we'll poke fun at you too................ so if you are thick-skinned (because we are also incredibly smart, quick-witted & damned if we'll let a cool thread turn into the pissing contest you see on far too many of these C-D threads), then i'm sure we'll all have fun.

Old 10-24-2010, 02:30 PM

Like she said~~~~~~~~~~~~ Ok, so we tolerate Livecontent and play a bit with him (where did he go?)

Rumor mill~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Let's see who's "missing" - Livecontent and~~~~~~~~~~~Wisteria

Old 10-24-2010, 04:23 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,403,838 times
And Nancythereader....she actually had the guts to move cross-country, I would love to hear how it's going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.