Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2014, 08:21 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,977,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I just looked up our city ordinance (no HOA) and I can let my grass grow to 10" before I will be cited by the city. If it gets longer they send a warning letter and then a second with a mow by date and then they will come and do it and bill you. There would be a lien against the house with additional fines and interest and fees until it's paid. They won't care if I hobble with a hanky or if I'm elderly. This seems to work here. The neighbors, and I mean everyone that lives in a 4 block radius, would not be so patient.
Hmmn, 10 inches....I think you should be cited at 9. Ten is unsightly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2014, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
This is a valuable lesson. I am NOT going to purchase my demented father an IPad. I'm thinking it's best we children keep his "Alzheimer's moments" in-house.
???

Old 05-11-2014, 08:30 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,607,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
???
What do you expect from a bunch of old people, most of whom have too much leisure time?

Old 05-11-2014, 08:54 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,697,006 times
I just looked up our town bylaws and we have nothing for grass length. We do have a strong leash law for dogs and picking up the poop law. People who are handicapped are exempt from the poop part.

Most of the rules pertain to getting licenses to do things like sell liquor or put up a sign. Also building permits have to be approved by the fire and police departments. It's mostly for safety; people are trusted to use common sense when designing a deck or a room but they have to pass the safety standards. Nobody has to be told what color to paint their own house because no one is going to paint it purple. There ARE purple Victorian homes in the next town though and they look nice--weren't the Victorian homes called painted ladies anyway? I guess my point is I just don't understand the need for all the rules and micromanaging.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:02 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,022,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
This thread has so much potential if it had gone a different direction and different scenario. A very legitimate discussion of the topic is retirement and having the sufficient resources long term to keep and maintain adequate and appropriate housing. We all know out living your money is a fear and certainly a well kept property is going to bite the dust prior to other things. Seniors face the challenge of roofing and HVAC repairs etc just like everyone else. We always read tales about seniors and rising property taxes forcing the issue for them. Lawn care probably goes early on in the game for many. The ramifications are considerable and futue blight a reality in some communities which isn't going to help senior sell to go into more appropriate housing. Hmmmmm reverse mortgage equity value?
I've lived here for 20 years. When I moved in I was the youngin and most others were in their late 60s - 80s. People seemed to understand when caring for a house was more work and/or too costly because they sold their homes and moved. They didn't expect others to come and do for them unless they had family. I have no doubt that neighbors helped neighbors. It was a natural progression. We had only 1 stinker the whole time and she neglected her property/house out of stubbornness - she wouldn't let go of the fact that it was not her ex husband's job to come and do it for her. She finally left (I think the city was on her case) and they tore the house down and end of that story. I know some men would go and mow her yard but that gets old real fast and they stopped. Nobody retires and many times downsizes so they can now spend their time caring for someone else's home.

I think this story was about a woman that expected others to do for her even though she most likely had the finances to take care of it herself. She had other priorities for her money and if she waited long enough someone would do it for her.

Old 05-11-2014, 11:18 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,253,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Hmmn, 10 inches....I think you should be cited at 9. Ten is unsightly.
Wouldn't you much rather live next door to the 10 inch grass than the all-night dog? And what if the grass is 8 inches tall, but has millions of dandelions? Shouldn't that be considered a worse violation than pure lawn grass growing to 10 inches?

Such ordinances would be better specifying types of weeds instead of grass. E.g. if your lawn has more than 1000 dandelions visible, or more than 100 vines of bindweed. The ordinance could list hundreds of types of weeds, and say how many of each would be considered a violation.

Old 05-11-2014, 11:34 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,536,509 times
One of my favorite childhood memories is my grandmother sweeping, with a broom, her front yard.
Dandelions, weeds, POOF, you're gone. Anyone else remember this?

Old 05-12-2014, 12:04 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,697,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
One of my favorite childhood memories is my grandmother sweeping, with a broom, her front yard.
Dandelions, weeds, POOF, you're gone. Anyone else remember this?
No. But I just read somewhere that it's better to leave the dandelions alone because that's what honeybees need and honeybees are close to becoming endangered.

Old 05-12-2014, 12:14 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,536,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
No. But I just read somewhere that it's better to leave the dandelions alone because that's what honeybees need and honeybees are close to becoming endangered.
Do you blame that on my grandma, who swept her front yard with a broom ca 1958? Seriously? How far do you want to go with that?

Old 05-12-2014, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Do you blame that on my grandma, who swept her front yard with a broom ca 1958? Seriously? How far do you want to go with that?
No bees, no food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement