Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2014, 10:40 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,671,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
So as a neighborhood ages does it risk falling in disrepair? A very legitimate challenge with our aging population
Yes, all neighborhoods will fall into decline and then be replaced by new, but this because society moves on, not to be blamed on seniors who are no longer able to cut their grass. That is the cyle of life, just look at any community in the country. It is sad that the old are being pitted against the young. Of course the young have forgotten who supported then when they were weak and uneducated. HOAs are not supposed to discriminate against the young, or old but BODs will often bring with them their own bias but being critical of volunteers who want to make life better is a new low.

Thanks to all who cut their neighbors grass, pick up a few items at the grocery store, stop to chat, share a meal, or just behave like a decent, civilized human in todays greedy world. Society has changed for the worse in the past few decades but why should we forget our American values?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 10:56 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,977,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
I hate to get defensive, but please point out where I ever stated that the single mother was........"unworthy of help if she needed it "

I am a " big boy" so when I start a new thread I expect to get some feedback from people who disagree. ( goes with the territory)

However, please don't debate my original post by putting words in my mouth that weren't there.
The problem with this thread and why the responses are so muddled is that the Original Post did not have a clear point or question. Somehow a single mother got into the act and along the way such things as gay individuals protesting in a Catholic Church (your posts).

I'm still not sure what it is you're asking. I wish you could start again and ask a clear direct question without all these other issues.

And I do like Heidi's poignant question: How can an outsider know the financial means of their neighbors? Also, it's highly possible that a homeowner has all his/her focus on serious illness and the lawn is not on the front burner. There is just no way to tell the circumstances of why a lawn is not cut.

I suggest that your HOA send around a notice to any homes that have knee-high grass stating:

Our community members want to see well-cared-for property. If you cannot afford to trim your lawn and shrubs, please fill out the application below for assistance, explaining your circumstances.

Old 05-10-2014, 11:15 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,748,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
The problem with this thread and why the responses are so muddled is that the Original Post did not have a clear point or question. Somehow a single mother got into the act and along the way such things as gay individuals protesting in a Catholic Church (your posts).

I'm still not sure what it is you're asking. I wish you could start again and ask a clear direct question without all these other issues.

And I do like Heidi's poignant question: How can an outsider know the financial means of their neighbors? Also, it's highly possible that a homeowner has all his/her focus on serious illness and the lawn is not on the front burner. There is just no way to tell the circumstances of why a lawn is not cut.

I suggest that your HOA send around a notice to any homes that have knee-high grass stating:

Our community members want to see well-cared-for property. If you cannot afford to trim your lawn and shrubs, please fill out the application below for assistance, explaining your circumstances.

To clarify..........Your reference in your 1st paragraph had to do when a poster........in...newengland.......decided to discredit me by posting a link to a completely different forum . I responded.

I am glad that another poster here reported that infraction to a MODERATOR and that MODERATOR removed that link that was posted to discredit me.

Thanks to the MODERATOR for removing that link.........whoever you are.

Old 05-10-2014, 11:18 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,748,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
I hate to get defensive, but please point out where I ever stated that the single mother was........"unworthy of help if she needed it "

I am a " big boy" so when I start a new thread I expect to get some feedback from people who disagree. ( goes with the territory)

However, please don't debate my original post by putting words in my mouth that weren't there.

Still waiting to be shown where I ...........EVER......said or even........INFERRED.......it .

Old 05-10-2014, 11:42 AM

730 posts, read 1,303,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Define the size of lawn (or lawns if front and rear) being mowed and how many times it is getting mowed for $35.
It's true, there are so many variables..

Here on LI, $35 is the absolute rock bottom price for a weekly lawn cutting (front and rear) once a week. For 1/4 or 1/3 acre, $35 would be typical; for 1/2 acre $35 is a lower than normal price and is usually given only if the service is also doing at least a couple of the adjoining neighbors' yards as well, at the same time, so they don't need to "travel". A more typical price for a half acre would be from $40-$50. And then sales tax at 8.62% gets added to whatever the fee is.

If someone has 3/4 or a full acre they'd be looking at anywhere from $50 to $75 for a weekly cut, front and rear. Plus tax of course.

Old 05-10-2014, 11:55 AM

2,841 posts, read 3,200,373 times
I'm glad we don't have grass here. LOL

Old 05-10-2014, 12:29 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,607,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedOutNYer View Post
It's true, there are so many variables..

Here on LI, $35 is the absolute rock bottom price for a weekly lawn cutting (front and rear) once a week. For 1/4 or 1/3 acre, $35 would be typical; for 1/2 acre $35 is a lower than normal price and is usually given only if the service is also doing at least a couple of the adjoining neighbors' yards as well, at the same time, so they don't need to "travel". A more typical price for a half acre would be from $40-$50. And then sales tax at 8.62% gets added to whatever the fee is.

If someone has 3/4 or a full acre they'd be looking at anywhere from $50 to $75 for a weekly cut, front and rear. Plus tax of course.
Sales tax? I'd pay cash, greenback dollars; there's no sales tax then.

8.62%: I do my best to avoid 4%.

Old 05-10-2014, 12:49 PM

633 posts, read 1,013,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I agree, it is upon the homeowner to maintain their property or pay to have it done. I don't think relying on the kindness of strangers is the way to go simply because one is old. Many people will help an elderly person for free, but that is their choice to do so. On the other hand, the young single mom could always borrow the next door neighbor's mower too. Being female or poor is no excuse.
I have seen so many of these retired wealthy people that are pikers and too cheap to hire someone to do any work in the home!

They take great delight in being cheap and not spending a single cent, So NO on the asking for church people to volunteer. If the person owns a home, they should find a way to take care of it on their own or sell it. Period.

Old 05-10-2014, 12:54 PM

730 posts, read 1,303,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Sales tax? I'd pay cash, greenback dollars; there's no sales tax then.

8.62%: I do my best to avoid 4%.
Believe it or not, some of these companies won't do it for cash but insist upon "playing by the book"; possibly because they may have gotten caught by the NY State sales-tax people (who on a GOOD day resemble Men in Black with very bad attitudes; they're merciless) in the past, LOL

Old 05-10-2014, 01:05 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,438,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
next time place a call to the board's attorney. The board does not have the legal authority to randomly pick and choose who receives a citation. Your board has a duty to enforce the hoa's regulations as written. Drafting a list of volunteers to assist elderly homeowners is one thing (no problem), but you must enforce the issuance of citations or granting of variances in accordance with the regulations. Do the regulations state that those over a certain age are not required to abide by the regulations? I don't think so.

^^^
This !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement