Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Retiree coffee drinking habits
I drink caffinated only 95 59.75%
I drink decaf only 11 6.92%
I drink both 30 18.87%
I don't touch the stuff 23 14.47%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 09:35 PM

7,572 posts, read 8,986,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I have caffeinated coffee in the morning, either 15 or 30 ozs (single cup when I do police patrol, second cup when I'm home in the morning). After dinner I have 1/2 caffeinated coffee, and only 12 ozs. I used to drink fully caffeinated coffee after dinner too, but about 10 years ago I started to have some sleeping problems so I cut that back.

As far as what we drink, either Folgers or Maxwell House, whatever is on sale when we are at the supermarket.
I also use Folgers but wondered if that was too mild/weak. If I take up drinking coffee I will continue - can't see spending the time with bean etc... for myself but would for guests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 10:00 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,144,579 times
I drink Folgers in the morning and through the day with a real coffee pot, not one of those electric things, and have 2 espresso after dinner but before bedtime and I sleep very nicely.

Old 06-15-2014, 10:00 PM

44,554 posts, read 61,277,369 times
1 cup of coffee in the AM while reading the local newspaper, 1 cup coffee after dinner to relax and watch WOF.

Old 06-15-2014, 10:25 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,126,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I also use Folgers but wondered if that was too mild/weak. If I take up drinking coffee I will continue - can't see spending the time with bean etc... for myself but would for guests.
Well, you can "fix" that with the way we used to make Navy coffee when I first started working for DoD.

Just make your coffee as you normally would through your drip coffee maker. Then, add another tablespoon or two to the coffee grounds that were already used, and take the coffee you already made and pour it in as though it was water, running the coffee through a second time.

I guarantee you it won't be too weak.

Old 06-15-2014, 10:45 PM

7,670 posts, read 5,388,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
I can't vote. I am not retired.
Yeah, same here. I voted and then realized we aren't retired yet, anyway. Oops.

We like 1. Peet's and 2. Seattle's Best and drink tea mostly, then caffeinated coffee (black) and then decaf.

Old 06-15-2014, 10:51 PM

121 posts, read 88,356 times
From my teens through late forties I drank (guessing) 8-10 instant coffees each day and even had one as a night cap. Slowed down the night time ones till mid-fifties but since retiring I have cut down to one strong coffee each morning. Was using a home espresso machine with various types, but have changed to a Nespresso capsule machine. It is much easier and more consistent giving a good enough result all the time. The old machine / operator (me) could get a great result occasionally but not frequently enough to be worth the hassle.
Will have a decaf some nights if I need something to go with a biscuit.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:04 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,578,309 times
I never actually acquired a taste for coffee. The first cup I had as a teenager turned me off on it forever. I suppose you could say Diet Coke is "my coffee".

Old 06-16-2014, 01:35 PM

10,998 posts, read 9,632,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
I never actually acquired a taste for coffee. The first cup I had as a teenager turned me off on it forever. I suppose you could say Diet Coke is "my coffee".
Me too. Diet Pepsi first thing in the morning just like most people drink coffee, except nice and cold. I have tried coffee many times and it always ends badly.

Old 06-16-2014, 01:57 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,176,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I didn't start drinking coffee till I was 18 and met my future husband. We were 'poor kids' so had a lot of coffee dates. Drinking coffee and talking for hours. Mine probably could've been called coffee in my cream and sugar back then though. I eventually quit that and drink it black still. Once in a while I'll throw some French Vanilla creamer in it but that's when I've really had enough but don't want to toss it. I'm frugal that way. lol

I am a Folgers girl. Love my Black Silk. The smell of it, in the can, in the pot...good. lol Actually I pretty much like the smell of most coffees. I do like the stronger ones. I have a Mr. Coffee that has a setting for 'stronger' too. I haven't used it though. I figure I make it strong enough! I have a couple bags of coffee beans and one of them is Peete's. THAT stuff is STRONG. Or maybe I used too much. I'll try it again and tweak my 'recipe'. When I get up in the morning my coffee is ready and I like that.

When I stop drinking coffee is generally whatever time I have to be at work, if it's early. If it's later in the day I'd say the last cup is about 10 AM. I get up around 6 every day. I have had a cup of coffee a couple of hours before bedtime and found out I can't do that anymore. Used to be I could have bedtime coffee and sleep like a baby. Not anymore. Today I had an iced coffee after work but it was early enough I don't think it'll bother me.

I like my coffee too much to quit drinking it, so no, I don't want to.
Another Black silk lover here. I like my coffee strong. If you can see through it its too weak. I love the smoothness and flavor and the amount of flavor. I use milk in it but usually milk powder as it gives the milk flavor and a little sweetness.

I make a pot when I get up, turn on the computer, and I'm parked until its at least half gone. Dad introduced me to the brown stuff, and he was carrear navy, and they liked coffee which stood up without the cup. So do I. I've tried the lesser strenght blends but they just don't have enough.

Caffiene doesn't do much for me, and yet when I've tried decaf could taste the difference, probably chemical traces of the removal of it. If its a cold nignt I'll run some water through the beans and have a cup or two of hot coffee before bed. Doesn't keep me awake at all. And I always use coffee in cocoa.

My usual method of getting to sleep is do something to occupy yourself until your too tired and mess up. I've never been able to just go to bed, long before I started coffee. Sometimes I have soda, but then there is a case of it on a shelf that's almost six months old and most of it is still there.

One of my cats knows about the CUP. She hunts it down so she can knock it over if I leave it sitting there. Fortunately its plastic.

Old 06-16-2014, 02:12 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,176,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
They have a little meter at the bottom of the can showing how strong it is. The darkest like Black Silk is very dark and strong. Its also low acid. Buy a little can and try it.

The acid content of various blends varies so if one has a sensitive stomach the low acid versions can be just as flavorful and nice on the tummy.

When I could get to costco I bought the bean and ground it but I'm happy with my black silk now. Also nowhere local to shop for it....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement