Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2015, 12:44 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,718,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourown2feet View Post
That "fry it up in a pan" ad, in retrospect, was rather cruel. I wonder how many young women took on the notion that they weren't good enough unless they could keep house, raise kids, and succeed at a well-paying career.

I don't recall any similar message being aimed at young men.
And don't forget the line "never let him forget he's a man!" She had to work, cook dinner and then be a hottie in the sack. Some kind of liberation that was!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 01:00 PM

739 posts, read 1,848,963 times
My tuppence:

I'm 61 and my spouse is 74. If our health remains good, he will most likely 'go' before I do. At that point, what I would miss is companionship. Addressing that may not (probably will not) include another spouse. Companionship can be found in family, friends, pursuit of activities, etc. Traveling is easier for older people these days; I would check out tour groups. It's not that having another husband would be so bad or that he would be irrelevant, but I don't need the same things from a husband in my 60s that I did in my 30s when the kids were little. I'd imagine a widower wouldn't necessarily want the same things in a wife at that age, either. Men don't need women to be their housekeepers; they can do that on their own. Mine is the cook, we have a cleaning lady and I do the laundry. I can't say what a older widower would want in his life but a new wife may not fit the bill.

To each, his own.

Old 11-04-2015, 01:40 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,281,745 times
The best thing to do is just go together. My great uncle died from a heart attack and when my great-aunt saw him, she passed out and died right on top of him.

Even says so on her death certificate. They were side by side at the funeral mass. It was nice.

Old 11-04-2015, 01:55 PM

6,358 posts, read 7,774,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigizug View Post
My mother came from England (Swiss citizen) via ship in 1955 to work as a nanny. She met my father in 1956. Perhaps the family sponsoring her paid for her entrance into the US. In 1967 when I was 10 years she became a citizen after 6 weeks of evening classes. Don't know if it cost much but I doubt it. She didn't want to go through the hassle of immigration every time she visited her family in Europe so became a US citizen. I remember going to court the day she was sworn in.
(Unrelated to thread topic.) I kick myself whenever I think about this. I've been led to understand that if one can trace their ancestry back to Switzerland, they can 'reclaim' their Swiss citizenship, as long as they do so before they turn 21 years old. Too late for me by the time I found out.

Old 11-04-2015, 02:17 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,461,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
It's not a matter of men not being able to take care of themselves or fooling woman. All of a sudden they act helpless and we know better. Woman are peacekeepers, it's a matter of having to fight to get him to do it. Other times you have to give instructions on the simplest things (replace the garbage bag). If you do say anything you're nagging. Men can also ignore the dirt better, some don't mind living in filth.
Exactly. My ex, who had an MBA degree, could certainly learn simple tasks like washing the dishes or other chores around the house. He chose not to learn and felt it was okay because they were considered "women's work." This even though I had a full time job and often worked more hours than he did.

When he was on his own after our divorce he learned because he had to. There was no wife or mother to do it for him. It's just a matter of getting away with something whenever possible.

It's just a matter of using what was considered an acceptable excuse of getting out of a disagreeable job.

Old 11-04-2015, 04:58 PM

15,640 posts, read 10,398,506 times
My mother-in-law and my grandmother both lost their husbands in their 50s. Neither remarried, but both had a very special fella for decades.

Old 11-04-2015, 05:45 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,116,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
My mother-in-law and my grandmother both lost their husbands in their 50s. Neither remarried, but both had a very special fella for decades.
They were both fortunate to find those special fellas. Good for them!

Old 11-04-2015, 06:14 PM

90 posts, read 104,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk View Post
My tuppence:

I'm 61 and my spouse is 74. If our health remains good, he will most likely 'go' before I do. At that point, what I would miss is companionship. Addressing that may not (probably will not) include another spouse. Companionship can be found in family, friends, pursuit of activities, etc. Traveling is easier for older people these days; I would check out tour groups. It's not that having another husband would be so bad or that he would be irrelevant, but I don't need the same things from a husband in my 60s that I did in my 30s when the kids were little. I'd imagine a widower wouldn't necessarily want the same things in a wife at that age, either. Men don't need women to be their housekeepers; they can do that on their own. Mine is the cook, we have a cleaning lady and I do the laundry. I can't say what a older widower would want in his life but a new wife may not fit the bill.

To each, his own.
I was widowed at 58; my Husband of 26 yrs was 11 yrs older than me. I probably would have said the same things as you prior to his death. Didn't think I'd need another spouse, whatever. I had just retired from a good career; I was very independent. After 18 mos , hanging out with family and "the girls" got old. I was dying to just go to dinner with a Man! When you are with someone a long time (happily) and then you're alone, you don't know what to do with yourself. You also miss, not just sex but the touch, look of another person. There are a lot of women on this thread that don't like men and you can tell by their comments but if you've been happily married awhile, it's a different story. Now 62 and getting married next year.

Old 11-04-2015, 06:20 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,750,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRACE2829 View Post
There are a lot of women on this thread that don't like men and you can tell by their comments but if you've been happily married awhile, it's a different story. Now 62 and getting married next year.
Just because woman want the men to "do their fair share" of chores doesn't mean they don't like men. Geez

Aaah you're in the romantic phase where it's peaches and flowers

Old 11-04-2015, 07:27 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,989,367 times
[quote=GRACE2829;41812103]There are a lot of women on this thread that don't like men and you can tell by their comments.... [quote]

Wowza- really? A lot? Examples, please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement