Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2015, 02:29 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,703,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
The reason it's been reduced to that level is because many woman were reduced to the cook, nurse, maid after getting married and they don't want a repeat. For woman in their 60's or 70's it's rare to find otherwise.

I'm 55 and I've observed woman from the previous generation, but I lived in the era where woman went to work, then came home and did it all, where men had one foot stuck in the old ways and one foot in the new ways until we were so exhausted that we couldn't do it no more and then had to put our spiked high heals down on the foot stuck in the old days.....

I can bring home the bacon, fry it up in the pan. (no we can't)

If you were a man with a working wife and who did everything at home, would you easily give that up?
If women didn't wait on men, we wouldn't be in this situation in the first place.

I'm of the "previous" generation and we DID work full time, come home and work full time at home too. Guilty as charged, but that was before women's lib and I didn't know what I was getting into. I got married and started working in 1967. Silly me, I assumed he'd help out. I pictured us doing the dishes together and him vacuuming the rugs. But all he did was sit on the couch while I raced through to the kitchen to start supper.

Of course, as already mentioned, men have to be raised to be responsible in the first place. Some are normal and realize that it needs to be 50/50 but others are somehow defective and think they are privileged.
They need to know how to cook and take care of their living quarters before they consider marriage. (Actually, this guy already did know how to cook. He even knew how to sew. He was just too arrogant to pitch in and do his part.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2015, 02:54 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,460,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I am going to get so flamed but here goes. I am 72 and I do not see many women over 60 that I personally find attractive. Of course there are some (and you are one darling) so do not attempt to prove me totally wrong. Bottom line is it is my personal observance and taste. I would be most interested in would be 35 to 55. Of course they may have no interest in me but that is another story.....LOL
What a shallow response. Sad, your statement indicates even some old geezers have failed to grow as they age and still think more with their "small brain" vs the big one.

What would a 35-55 yr old have in common with a 72 yr old? You are probably older than their father/grandfather, and a man with that kind of attitude WOULD probably be "irrelevant" to anyone HE would consider to be "attractive" to him.

The women I know in the retirement age range that are looking for a relationship are looking for a connection, for a soul to connect with, someone they enjoy and who enjoys being with them. They are looking for a man they can converse with, that have common goals and one that each can add to the quality of the others life.

To state that because a women is over 60 you do not find her "attractive" (and lets face it, your even 12 yrs older than what you find TOO OVER THE HILL) shows very little growth in your attitude in life from that typical teenage hormone drive where most do not understand the difference between lonely, lust and love. There ARE differences, and growth and development as you age should have helped you at your age realize that!

Last edited by Paka; 11-02-2015 at 03:18 PM..

Old 11-02-2015, 02:54 PM

51,655 posts, read 25,843,388 times
It seems older women do not find men "irrelevant." If they already have one, they'll keep him. They just don't want another one.

Go into any medical clinic and see the number of old women hustling around an old man. Who wants to sign up for that?

Old 11-02-2015, 03:31 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,585,544 times
johngolf,

But we do not find millions of men (any maybe you) in their 60's, 70's, and 80's attractive either.

So what does it matter that at 72 you do not find many women in their 60's attractive.

There are plenty of attractive women in their 60's and 70's, so you're either stuck in a limited geographic area or you are not looking around the U.S. and world where older attractive women pop up all the time.

Since you felt compelled to pronounce your lack of finding older women attractive, I would like to make it clear that most women in our 60's, 70's, & 80's do not find many older men attractive.....many older men are completely & utterly unattractive & even revolting physically.

Old 11-02-2015, 04:11 PM

51,655 posts, read 25,843,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I think the women who say they would not want a 2nd husband or male significant other after their 1st husband passes away or if the husband divorces them, do not really know what they would do upon facing life alone in terms of having another man in their life.

Speculation about future scenarios does not always match actions.
Actually, many women do know what they would do and many are already doing it.

Old 11-02-2015, 05:18 PM

2,020 posts, read 3,197,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I am going to get so flamed but here goes. I am 72 and I do not see many women over 60 that I personally find attractive. Of course there are some (and you are one darling) so do not attempt to prove me totally wrong. Bottom line is it is my personal observance and taste. I would be most interested in would be 35 to 55. Of course they may have no interest in me but that is another story.....LOL
Shame on you ... next time lie and tell us how irresistible we are ...

Old 11-02-2015, 06:25 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,978,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
kelly237,

Earlier today the UK film "The Mother" was available for people subscribing to Kindle Unlimited on Amazon.com. And then earlier than today, it was available for Amazon Prime members because I had it on my Amazon Prime Watchlist in order to watch it a second time.

The Mother (2003) - IMDb
The Mother is on its way to me from Netflix. Thanks, Matisse!

I love Anne Reid from Last Tango in Halifax.

Old 11-02-2015, 07:14 PM

192 posts, read 249,922 times
I've heard women say this actually. On a different forum (I follow a lot, lol), someone brought up an interesting theory that women have an easier time being alone in their old age than men do. And it's because women typically know how to take care of themselves and typically have stronger support networks than men (i.e. friends they regularly chat with, etc.). Men, on the other hand, often use wives as household managers and emotional supports to the point where they have a hard time functioning when they get divorced or become a widower. Think about how many men immediately remarry when a LTR ends vs. women? Plus, once women become financially stable they really don't have a need for men anymore.

Old 11-02-2015, 07:16 PM

192 posts, read 249,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
It seems older women do not find men "irrelevant." If they already have one, they'll keep him. They just don't want another one.

Go into any medical clinic and see the number of old women hustling around an old man. Who wants to sign up for that?
Yeah, exactly. You often see women spending their lives taking care of men. I wouldn't blame an older woman if she didn't want to sign up for that again. Men seem to have a harder time caring for themselves when they get older.

Old 11-02-2015, 07:26 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,950,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Anyway, I know a few women in their early 70s who are still looking for a good man. A lot of the men out there are louts who won't help out at home, have alcohol problems, or they only want a much younger woman. But this thread has taught me why they want the younger women.

Duh. It's because the older women don't want sex and the older men do.

Reminds me of my mother--after my dad passed away one of his friends, a widower, came onto her. She liked him, after all, the whole group of couples had known each other for over 50 years by then. But by the second date, he wanted sex. She would have none of that and he finally took up with a hot younger woman from NYC.

Women usually want companionship. Men want sex. That leaves the men going for the younger women and usually getting stuck with someone incompatible, often a gold digger. And it leaves the older women alone.

So glad I finally figured that out, LOL.
That is precisely why older women should team up with a single older gay gentleman.

Imagine the stylish brunch dates and cocktails al fresco, driving through the countryside checking out antique shops, theater matinees, and long discussions about art, literature, poetry, gardening, and philosophy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement