Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2015, 06:32 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,246,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Women's lib didn't pan out like we hoped it would. I wonder if it ever will.

Women still do most of the housework, and are now expected to work full time and do most of the work related to raising children. Their husbands can now afford to buy the boat they always dreamed of. And the women can end up having to pay for alimony and child support.

We did not come out ahead.
The trouble is, the feminists thought they could and would undo our patriarchal society pretty much overnight.

They dented it is all.

But - that dent has caused some rust, which in turn will eat away at the Patriarchy generation by generation.

I know Downunder the amount of females studying traditionally male subjects has boomed. Female engineers doctors chemists dentists you name it they exist. Theres a drive aimed specificially at boosting female students confidence and opportunities.

People now pause and ask if your Doctor or Dentist is a female. "He" is no longer assumed like it was, even 10 years ago.

In 100 years, hopefully, the entire Feminist subject will be History. True equality will be across the board.

I can dream OK....? And at least I can go to work without having to look at a girlie calendar every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 06:40 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,585,544 times
GotHereQuickAsICould at #541,

yes, in the current season of '90 Day Fiance' on TLC channel one of the couples is a Jamaican man brought to the U.S. on a K1 Visa by a nurse who is a citizen of the U.S.

And the series has shown another couple where a man in brought in to the U.S.

Old 11-03-2015, 09:45 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,179,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
johngolf,

But we do not find millions of men (any maybe you) in their 60's, 70's, and 80's attractive either.

So what does it matter that at 72 you do not find many women in their 60's attractive.

There are plenty of attractive women in their 60's and 70's, so you're either stuck in a limited geographic area or you are not looking around the U.S. and world where older attractive women pop up all the time.

Since you felt compelled to pronounce your lack of finding older women attractive, I would like to make it clear that most women in our 60's, 70's, & 80's do not find many older men attractive.....many older men are completely & utterly unattractive & even revolting physically.
Actually, yes. This is unfortunately true.

Old 11-03-2015, 11:15 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,537,988 times
Quote:
Since you felt compelled to pronounce your lack of finding older women attractive, I would like to make it clear that most women in our 60's, 70's, & 80's do not find many older men attractive...
There's a popular myth that older men are viewed as more attractive than women the same age. IMO this is generally true throughout the 50s and into the early 60s, then it collapses altogether.
Starting about the mid-60s, physical attractiveness is gender neutral.

Regardless of age, there are some men and some women who due mainly to good genes still stand out, they're the outliers. But generally speaking, a 70 y.o. man is no more or less physically attractive than a 70 y.o. woman. Regardless of gender, it's really all about intelligence and warmth and confidence and sense of humor and je ne sais quoi. And grooming, of course, that's a given.

Old 11-04-2015, 03:08 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,585,544 times
I do not agree, biscuitmom, but that's okay!

I don't think that many men in their 50's and early 60's are better looking than women of the same age, as you state.

but it's a touchy subject and probably best left alone!

Old 11-04-2015, 04:14 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,460,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funcrew View Post
One word: Bangkok.
Might wanna read this before you take your chances with Bangkok!

Unexpectedly high HIV prevalence among female sex workers in Bangkok, Thailand in a respondent-driven sampling survey. - PubMed - NCBI

Old 11-04-2015, 09:40 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,703,315 times
Quote:
GotHereQuickAsICould at #541,

yes, in the current season of '90 Day Fiance' on TLC channel one of the couples is a Jamaican man brought to the U.S. on a K1 Visa by a nurse who is a citizen of the U.S.

And the series has shown another couple where a man in brought in to the U.S.
I went through the K-1 visa process to get my husband over here from England and it was not like that at all.

We had to file numerous long detailed packets of information over the course of a few years and each time we filed, we had to send in many hundreds of $$. We also had to prove that we were engaged, we needed photos of us together, cards we had sent each other, tickets to events we had attended together, statements from friends who knew us, and on and on.

The K-1 visa is a fiance visa. Once they figured he had jumped through enough hoops, he was given the go ahead and had a short window of time to get here and then 90 days for us to get married or the entire process was null and void.

It was worth it because he's great but it's not an easy process.

Old 11-04-2015, 09:54 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,681,350 times
Interesting. My sister met a German author on an authors website. She is a total homebody, and wouldn't even look at something as simple as yahoo personals, back then. 2006 I think it was.
Anyway, he came over on several trips to the USA, and they married in 2007. As far as I know, they are still married.
I remember them saying how they had to go to immigrations with loads of documentation and paperwork. From what my dad said, her husband was able to obtain US citizenship since then.

Old 11-04-2015, 10:07 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,911,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxiegal View Post
Interesting. My sister met a German author on an authors website. She is a total homebody, and wouldn't even look at something as simple as yahoo personals, back then. 2006 I think it was.
Anyway, he came over on several trips to the USA, and they married in 2007. As far as I know, they are still married.
I remember them saying how they had to go to immigrations with loads of documentation and paperwork. From what my dad said, her husband was able to obtain US citizenship since then.
My mom came here from Australia in May 1947 on a ship full of post war brides. She and Dad got married the end of July. She became a citizen in the summer of 1952. When I heard of all the hoops people have to jump through to do that these days I asked her about it and she said she didn't have to do all that. And it didn't cost hundreds of dollars either. Before leaving Australia she had to jump through a few hoops and go through a very thorough physical. That's when they found out she had a small heart 'problem'. I wonder when it got harder to do all that stuff.

Old 11-04-2015, 10:11 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,681,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
My mom came here from Australia in May 1947 on a ship full of post war brides. She and Dad got married the end of July. She became a citizen in the summer of 1952. When I heard of all the hoops people have to jump through to do that these days I asked her about it and she said she didn't have to do all that. And it didn't cost hundreds of dollars either. Before leaving Australia she had to jump through a few hoops and go through a very thorough physical. That's when they found out she had a small heart 'problem'. I wonder when it got harder to do all that stuff.
I am sure some of it has to do with post Sept 11, 2001. I know some states it is more difficult to get DL, and now more hoops to get a passport. This just for US citizens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement