Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2015, 08:23 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
There is currently a TV series on this topic called '90 Day Fiancee' ....on the TLC channel.

Women come to the U.S. on a K1 Visa and they have 90 days by law to decide whether to marry the U.S. male who has brought them to the U.S.

I find it interesting.
Interesting indeed. I'll check it out.

Do women bring men over like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 08:52 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,080,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
Common Law. Committed but still collecting survivor benefits...
I am 58 years old and a bit young to collect survivor's benefits. FYI, I was the main bread winner during my 15 year marriage because my husband chose to work in retail where he would loose his job every couple of years when each store that he worked in would go out of business. During these tough times I grabbed every double shift I could so we would not have to face loosing our home. Try working 16 hours taking care of one heroin OD after another combined with gang banger shooting victims and whatever other trauma rolled through the ER doors!! This was not easy but I did what I had to do. Fortunately prior to my husband's death we were able to put a little $$ aside, but that would get eaten up very quickly when I could not work for several month following being diagnosed with cancer. Again, I pulled up my boot straps despite not feeling that great and went back to full time work 2 months following my treatment because if I did not I would loose my health insurance as I had no sick time left to cover the cost of my premiums. You see, there are no government programs available to help hard working, tax paying, middle class people like me when we hit a rough spot in life. You bet I am a survivor in more ways than one and when I am eligible to claim that benefit I most certainly will.

Old 11-03-2015, 09:03 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,799,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale212 View Post
I am 58 years old and a bit young to collect survivor's benefits. FYI, I was the main bread winner during my 15 year marriage because my husband chose to work in retail where he would loose his job every couple of years when each store that he worked in would go out of business. During these tough times I grabbed every double shift I could so we would not have to face loosing our home. Try working 16 hours taking care of one heroin OD after another combined with gang banger shooting victims and whatever other trauma rolled through the ER doors!! This was not easy but I did what I had to do. Fortunately prior to my husband's death we were able to put a little $$ aside, but that would get eaten up very quickly when I could not work for several month following being diagnosed with cancer. Again, I pulled up my boot straps despite not feeling that great and went back to full time work 2 months following my treatment because if I did not I would loose my health insurance as I had no sick time left to cover the cost of my premiums. You see, there are no government programs available to help hard working, tax paying, middle class people like me when we hit a rough spot in life. You bet I am a survivor in more ways than one and when I am eligible to claim that benefit I most certainly will.
I didn't say it was a bad thing. Someone asked what CL means and I explained and gave the short explanation as to a major reason it is popular. I think you are due the benefit; I have never really understood why it is ever taken away.

Old 11-03-2015, 12:26 PM

1,256 posts, read 2,492,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

Duh. It's because the older women don't want sex and the older men do.
Wrong!!!! They just don't want any more bad sex!!!! To quote my 75 year-old gr. aunt --- "I spent 50 years trying to show my (departed) husband where to find my <<rhymes with divorce.>> Damned if I am going to spend another 30 trying to teach a new man the same thing!"

This was at Thanksgiving dinner last year, btw, which she attended with her 61 year-old boyfriend. I assume he is still performing adequately because they will be at my house again this year.

(OK this thread has kept me entertained my entire lunch break. I need to get back to work .......)

Old 11-03-2015, 01:02 PM

17 posts, read 31,026 times
One word: Bangkok.

Old 11-03-2015, 01:21 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post
Wrong!!!! They just don't want any more bad sex!!!! To quote my 75 year-old gr. aunt --- "I spent 50 years trying to show my (departed) husband where to find my <<rhymes with divorce.>> Damned if I am going to spend another 30 trying to teach a new man the same thing!"

This was at Thanksgiving dinner last year, btw, which she attended with her 61 year-old boyfriend. I assume he is still performing adequately because they will be at my house again this year.

(OK this thread has kept me entertained my entire lunch break. I need to get back to work .......)
I remember George Lopez had a routine about having a lot of sex when you are young. He said to enjoy your young body and good looks. Have as much sex as you can because not even you would want to have sex with your old self. He gives all kinds of vivid descriptions.

Old 11-03-2015, 01:24 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,799,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funcrew View Post
One word: Bangkok.
Two words: hard time
They don't like the reputation of being the world's brothel and they have been policing it.

Old 11-03-2015, 02:42 PM

1,155 posts, read 962,733 times
Quote:
The film 'The Mother' is not currently on Amazon Prime. It is available thru Netflix, though, by DVD loaned thru the mail.

I happened to catch it on one of the premium TV channels thru Comcast a few months ago.
I watched "The Mother" when it came out in theaters years ago. What lingers most in my memory are the scenes of the widow's dismal, disastrous date with a man of her own age. A little shudder passed over me just now as I recalled just how terrible and depressing it was for her.

Old 11-03-2015, 02:47 PM

1,155 posts, read 962,733 times
Quote:
There is currently a TV series on this topic called '90 Day Fiancee' ....on the TLC channel.

Women come to the U.S. on a K1 Visa and they have 90 days by law to decide whether to marry the U.S. male who has brought them to the U.S.

I find it interesting.
If you want to see an eye-opening new documentary about mail-order brides from the Ukraine, check out "Love Me" on Netflix. Talk about desperation (on both sides).

Here's the trailer on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOUSVnpOqH8

Old 11-03-2015, 03:11 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times
Josie13, yes, the dismal disastrous date with a man of her own age in the film 'The Mother' is unforgettable. And so true to life.

The tribulations of aging are explored in an insightful way, while the affair is fascinating to watch.

Thanks for the tip about 'Love Me'!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement