Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 12:21 PM

10,900 posts, read 7,393,957 times

Advertisements

I'm in my early 60s, and have always looked younger than my age.
But the other day I took some selfies (for the face calculator Face calculator... ), and man, I look OLD! What a horrible realization!

btw, the face calculator says I still look younger than my age--anywhere from 15 to 56, depending on picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 12:22 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,361,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeana View Post
I am still young certainly, but have to admit I worry about getting older. Call me vain but while I know I am no super model by any means, it is something I think about.
Getting older was never a concern of mine. We all age continuously through life. It's never been a big deal for me.

Old 09-08-2017, 12:24 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,918,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeana View Post
I am still young certainly, but have to admit I worry about getting older. Call me vain but while I know I am no super model by any means, it is something I think about.
I never thought about it -- I have always lived in a farm environment, or at the least in an area zoned for horses. Between raising a son and working with the livestock I didn't have time to think about aging.

All of a sudden, This year I turned 70. I am not without tragedy in my life or health issues but I still live on 25 fairly remote acres with hubby & horses and stay busy.

I still don't think about my age ---- I just give Thanks for waking up every day, spend time with my horses, muck stalls, and do some housework ----------- same as I did when I was 20 which I am sure was last year, lollol

I have always cared about my looks but not to the point where I spend awful amounts of money trying to hang onto my youth. My goal is to look respectfully youthful for my age.

And nupe to those wondering ---- I've never done drugs nor smoked anything, I didn't and still don't have time in my life for that kind of garbage. An occasional shot of Whiskey yes, drugs and cigarettes no

Old 09-08-2017, 12:27 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,255,242 times
It also surprises me that so many women who have had cancer or other major illness feel that they lived through that so what's another operation or treatment to look better. They hate what the sickness has done to their bodies. So while they are having breast reconstruction they'll also get some other procedures done.
They can't wait to get back to an exercise schedule and take back control and feel more like their old selves.

Old 09-08-2017, 12:27 PM

8,178 posts, read 6,928,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
I never thought about it -- I have always lived in a farm environment, or at the least in an area zoned for horses. Between raising a son and working with the livestock I didn't have time to think about aging.

All of a sudden, This year I turned 70. I am not without tragedy in my life or health issues but I still live on 25 fairly remote acres with hubby & horses and stay busy.

I still don't think about my age ---- I just give Thanks for waking up every day, spend time with my horses, muck stalls, and do some housework ----------- same as I did when I was 20 which I am sure was last year, lollol

I have always cared about my looks but not to the point where I spend awful amounts of money trying to hang onto my youth. My goal is to look respectfully youthful for my age.

And nupe to those wondering ---- I've never done drugs nor smoked anything, I didn't and still don't have time in my life for that kind of garbage. An occasional shot of Whiskey yes, drugs and cigarettes no

Now YOU gave an awesome response.
And the most healthy, I might add.

Old 09-08-2017, 12:28 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,032,058 times
I never gave aging a second thought. I remember when I was in my early 50s and could get senior discounts at some places, I and a female coworker would often go to lunch together. She was a couple of years older than me. She was appalled when I asked for my discount. I was thrilled to get 10c off a cup of coffee, lol.

I'm 73 now and have a hard time believing I'm that old. It just happened, with no fanfare, no tears, no nothing. It just is.

For years (most of my adult life), I was a hot shot secretary, complete with mini skirts and 3" heels. Makeup and hair done to perfection. Once I was no longer in the business world, I put away the makeup and associated stuff, and let nature take its course. I'm no beauty, but the thought of all that mascara and hair spray makes me OK with what I am.

I live in a retirement/senior apartment complex and we have little get-togethers. Most of us dress up just a little, but some of the ladies wear horrible makeup, with lipstick on their teeth, highly painted cheeks, and other such silliness. They look like total nutjobs.

Old 09-08-2017, 12:36 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times
I recently had it pointed out to me that no matter what I think about how I look, I am still a person who is not-a-man -- vive le difference! -- with interesting places that men don't have, a person who is warm and cuddly and funny and fun to be with.

In that moment I got over getting older.

Women look in the mirror and immediately only those things that are wrong. Men look at us and everything looks right.

Old 09-08-2017, 12:53 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,898,284 times
I have a hard time believing I'm as old as I am. I still enjoy the same things and I still enjoy doing new things. The only problems I've faced are gaining weight and a lot of that is because I live in a small room with no place to go and nothing to do all day. I don't move around nearly as much as I'd like to and that has aggravated my back problems. I'm looking forward to having a place where I can go out walking again and have a garden and a cat or dog to train so I can be more active.

The worst thing is when I talk and interact with people and then they ask me how old I am and are shocked when I tell them. Recently someone told me to let my hair down because it would make me look younger. He told me I shouldn't want to look 40 if I could let my hair down and look 30. I had to tell him I'm 60. So yeah, I figured I've earned the right to wear my hair up if I want.

I just signed up for a trail ride of 3 hours and I haven't been on a horse for 20 years. This is going to be very interesting. With my back being what it is, I'm not even sure I can sit up for that length of time.

Old 09-08-2017, 12:54 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
The beauty of aging is the wisdom we've collected.

I was going to write a book 39 Forever and never did. No, I'm not up to writing any books now.

Enjoy and Learn From the Ride and Don't Think about Tomorrow other than the normal stuff.

Keep healthy and you'll enjoy old age better. I'm 79 and not popping a lot of meds.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:17 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,583,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpydove View Post

Just realize your experience is not the normal and for some of us it is a different journey, including suffering with health issues.
But my experience of no problems whatsoever with menopause and not even noticing it and it was nothing is the norm and accurate for the majority.

For most, it is barely noticeable or the impact is small and it is negligible or no big deal in its scale.

Pathologizing menopause for all women (or most women) is buying into old wives tales, old-fashioned thinking, and spreading false information, along with, for some, financially supporting or actively supporting the part of the medical profession & pharmaceutical interests who make money off of pushing unnecessary HRT (hormone replacement therapy) and other related unnecessary therapies/actions onto women.

One of the biggest scandals around and most unethical practices is carrying out very unnecessary hysterectomies on women. There are many articles (and books) on the rampant exploitation of women having hysterectomies when they are uncalled for - just so gynecological surgeons can make money and continue their medical practice. (just googling it will bring up info on this practice & scandal)

Last edited by matisse12; 09-08-2017 at 02:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement