Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2018, 11:49 AM

4,004 posts, read 2,083,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Whether or not a woman wants to be a full-time homemaker is really up to her.
I agree. Hopefully she is bright enough NOT to reproduce if she doesn't want to put her children first. It's definitely her choice though. No doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
We've been living in an rv for two years now, and have met a wider variety of people than you would meet in your typical suburb. Ive been surprised at how many struggle financially. Some of them struggle financially, imho, because they retired early and they cant really afford the health insurance.

But thats not the only reason. Some struggle for other reasons. Some men have had substantial portions of their pensions taken because of a divorce settlement.

So I thought it would be an intersting discussion for posters to tell what they know to be other reasons why people, after working their whole adult life are still living paycheck to paycheck.
They never had the opportunity to save enough from the get go, and therefore have to live SS check to SS check. You have to remember that this is only the land of milk and honey for new immigrants from 3rd world countries who truly do live worse than the average American - at least as far as material goods are concerned. You have to remember that just by being in America, even if you have 'nothing' and seem to struggle still lands you solidly in the top 10% of everyone in the world.

America is a capitalist nation. Capitalism is not set up for the majority of the masses to win. Capitalism is set up for the top 3% to win, and the masses to come in somewhere beneath the top 3%. Yes, they may be struggling, but they still aren't on the level where they need to spend 3/4 of their day trying to figure out how to get drinking water to their hut, like 90% of the world still does.

Last edited by ComeCloser; 11-11-2018 at 12:08 PM..

Old 11-11-2018, 12:07 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,113,478 times
"Putting children first" does not have to mean being a full time housewife. A spouse and even other family members can do their part. There are even highly stressed Congresswomen raising kids while in office. I also believe that setting a good example is one of the most important things we can do for our kids. They need to see successful parents who achieve and succeed.

We can achieve and also make time for our kids. In addition to weekday evenings my daughter and SIL have a great system. My daughter spends alternating weekends with each kid doing something special. The SIL alternates. Every third weekend is family time and they all do things together.

Old 11-11-2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
"Putting children first" does not have to mean being a full time housewife. A spouse and even other family members can do their part. There are even highly stressed Congresswomen raising kids while in office. I also believe that setting a good example is one of the most important things we can do for our kids. They need to see successful parents who achieve and succeed.

We can achieve and also make time for our kids. In addition to weekday evenings my daughter and SIL have a great system. My daughter spends alternating weekends with each kid doing something special. The SIL alternates. Every third weekend is family time and they all do things together.

I see you believe in fairytales. Good for you. Our prisons and cemeteries are full of the offspring of single mothers who probably don't agree or wouldn't have agreed with you.

Maybe your grandchildren would rather spend less time with their mother. Maybe every kid in the world would really rather have a highly stressed mother if given a choice. Maybe driving a BMW and being famous really is more important than any child possibly could be. Maybe...

Old 11-11-2018, 12:32 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,113,478 times
You think being a single parent is the same as having two parents who work and share raising kids? Nonsense.

Do you see success as only making money and being able to afford a BMW. Again, nonsense.

Old 11-11-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
You think being a single parent is the same as having two parents who work and share raising kids? Nonsense.

I never said any such thing. If you are following the thread, you would know that I was raised by a single mother. If given a choice, I would have preferred two parents and a mother that was home with me.

Old 11-11-2018, 12:39 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
I see you believe in fairytales. Good for you. Our prisons and cemeteries are full of the offspring of single mothers who probably don't agree or wouldn't have agreed with you.

Maybe your grandchildren would rather spend less time with their mother. Maybe every kid in the world would really rather have a highly stressed mother if given a choice. Maybe driving a BMW and being famous really is more important than any child possibly could be. Maybe...
Why don't you speak about the time spent between children and their father? According to your ideas, there are too many men driving BMWs while their children suffer the need of a father's time.

Old 11-11-2018, 12:40 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,763,707 times
Lots of nonsense in recent posts, let’s not waste our time. I mean from one poster. Will put this person on ignore list.

Last edited by NewbieHere; 11-11-2018 at 01:40 PM..

Old 11-11-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Why don't you speak about the time spent between children and their father? According to your ideas, there are too many men driving BMWs while their children suffer the need of a father's time.
Show me the quote of me saying any of this. I didn't respond to your last post to me because it made no more sense than this one does.

If I feel a need to point this out again, I guess Ill find that ignore feature the moderator was talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Lots of nonsense in recent posts, let’s not waste our time.
Amen!

Old 11-11-2018, 12:52 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,204,853 times
Alimony and O'care premiums (prior to age 65) has trimmed more than a few retirement incomes. Many lost most of their retirement money in the 2008 market crash, loss of equity in their home, and that 5 - 7% CD interest that they assumed would be there vanished over night.
They assumed they were good to retire, but overnight, that was no longer the case.

Also note, that food has increased over 40% since 2008, and electricity in many areas doubled since then which if you live in the sunbelt will kill your budget (AC). Services like landscaping, repairs, etc have doubled or tripled since that same time. (these people want $50 an hour for unskilled work, that got $15/hr 10 years ago). Some have had to eschew the idea of living in a condo association because HOA's now increase an average of 30% every two years.

Retired people do not plan on working in their retirement years and some simply can't (after age 60 or so, a substantial proportion of people are not physically capable (those pharmaceutical advertisements are mythological).

RV's avoid some of these expenses and property tax too.

Old 11-11-2018, 02:27 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
This subject is always going to be contentious and opinionated as people apply their own attitudes and situations to it. But I think it's a valid retirement subject; maybe it should be couched in a more specific thread on senior poverty.

That's all I have.

Cheers!
To your idea about a thread on senior poverty, are you differentiating that from normal poverty and why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement