Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2019, 02:56 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastafellow View Post
I have relatives on the gulf coast of FL and in Miami. I once considered moving to Florida but couldn't do it. The one thing I really dislike is evacuations. When I hear emergency services telling Floridians to go to shelters or move to a more protected area it depresses me. I just can't see myself living in a shelter for even one day let alone an extended period with a bunch of strangers.

I just hate the whole process of queuing to fill up the car, crowded supermarket shopping to get supplies, etc etc.
We lived through too many days and nights with no power. Ugh. The last place we lived we had to tote water from a tank we had outside to fill up our toilets. Fun times, lol. At least where we live now, if we lose power, we still have water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2019, 03:09 PM

4,173 posts, read 2,571,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
I've lived in WI all my life. Our winters are a piece of cake compared to the annual predictable natural disasters in FL and the panhandle (and tornado alley, etc). I'll never forget the year New Orleans flooded. And, Biloxi. I've never had to worry about broken windows, house collapse, loss of power for days and days on end, fuel, food and water shortages, need for flood insurance, etc., etc., etc. Why expose oneself to the devastation that comes with annual occurrence of hurricane(s)? I suppose there are parts of FL which escape, but most want to live near the ocean or gulf - and that's where the disasters occur. Last year Irma blew right through the middle of the state - I had friend in Gainesville who took shelter at the Shands Medical Center.

Further, could not stand the heat in the south. Temp in my house is never above 69 degrees. Winter or summer. Colorado might be more my speed. Nevada is too arid. I almost choked to death when I spent a week in Las Vegas in July years ago. And, forget about Texas. My year-round heating/AC bill is $131/mo. for 2,000 sq. ft. I hear tales of well over $300/mo AC in some of these areas. I don't get it. But to each his own. That's what makes the world.

69 Degrees year round...Ahhh! Now you're talking.

Old 09-02-2019, 04:06 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I couldn't rep you again but this is a great post. :-)
Thanks The experience restored my faith in the everyday man.

Old 09-02-2019, 04:14 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I suppose different strokes, for different folks. I could never get used to the horrible heat and humidity; both times in my 20s and again in my 60s. People used to say to me that after a while you get used to it. 10 years isn't enough time to acclimate? It did not bother my husband as much, until after he had his heart attack. After that he couldn't not be outside for any length of time except the Winter months.

I've never been in a hurricane in Florida, but I have been twice in NY including for Sandy. You really cannot escape weather wherever you are as others have said.
You lived in Naples for 10 years and never experienced a hurricane. Kind of belies the claims of the Florida naysayers about the frequency and predictability of hurricanes hitting Florida and making it more miserable than they say it already is.

Old 09-02-2019, 04:20 PM

1,493 posts, read 1,520,698 times
I was giving serious consideration to Pensacola but no longer. I actually felt tension with the early predictions.

Old 09-02-2019, 04:38 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I disagree. We had more storms and bigger back in the 60's and 70's than we have today. The largest was in 1900 that killed over 6000 people in Galveston.

We just have a lot more people and development to be destroyed. Old H's used to not do the damage because they hit empty lands.
If I remember correctly the Galveston hurricane had the largest death toll of any United States hurricane. The biggest reason for the heavy loss of life in that hurricane was lack of warning. Remember it was 1900 and most people didn't even know a hurricane was coming and by the time they realized something was happening it was too late. If that particular hurricane had hit today, people would have evacuated.

That and like Rakin said, people keep building on the coast. When I lived in NC from 1990-1999, there was severe flooding in nearby towns all built in the COASTAL FLOOD PLAINS in areas that never should have been developed. Ditto for most of Florida. Where I live we are only 7 feet about sea level. I doubt I would have ever chosen to live here but my family all moved here when I was 5 years old.

Old 09-02-2019, 04:40 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I suppose different strokes, for different folks. I could never get used to the horrible heat and humidity; both times in my 20s and again in my 60s. People used to say to me that after a while you get used to it. 10 years isn't enough time to acclimate? It did not bother my husband as much, until after he had his heart attack. After that he couldn't not be outside for any length of time except the Winter months.

I've never been in a hurricane in Florida, but I have been twice in NY including for Sandy. You really cannot escape weather wherever you are as others have said.
My mother was visiting us here in Florida prior to 1985. She lived on Long Island. Her niece went to stay at her house while she was gone. Hurricane hit Long Island.

Old 09-02-2019, 04:52 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,196,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I am in central New York state.

The only really bad weather comes in winter with sizable amounts of snowfall and very cold temperatures.

I'll take that any day of the week.

Cold Temps = Warm Heart.

Old 09-02-2019, 04:54 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,196,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
-hurricanes
-humidity
-sinkholes
-alligators
-palmetto bugs

What's not to like?

Flying Cockroaches that potentially land on you while you sleep.

Old 09-02-2019, 04:58 PM

4,173 posts, read 2,571,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
And don't forget the biggest threat to Florida residents: "Florida Man"!!!!!
I had never heard of "Florida Man" before, so of course I had to look it up. I kind of wish I hadn't as the images that came up are the one nightmares are made of. Warning to sensitive people, they are scary.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Flor...#imgrc=_&vet=1

----------------------------------------
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement